★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: NetHack doesn't care whether you live or not.
02-02-2015, 09:44 AM
"Rogue" was a good dungeon crawling game, "Hack" was a vast improvement over it and NetHack was the pinnacle. There are several other versions of NetHack, updates or adds on the original such as SLASH'EM, SporkHack... Both SLASH'EM and NetHack were ported to IOS by Dirk Zimmerman(iNetHack and iSLASH'EM) , were the best ports I have ever seen and were coded specially for the touch screen, movement, actions, menus and map orientation were fluid and a joy to use.
As you know after ios 7, iNethack no longer works properly and infact, it was removed from the App Store. The market is left for the bland and shallow clones(albeit colorful) all saying they are "Rogue like".

For those, yearning for the return of the king(of the IOS rogue likes), there is a new project by Future Shock Software to revive iNetHack as iNetHack 2. They are running a beta test now. Here is the link:

http://futureshocksoftware.com/news/nethack-ios

Last edited by Praymettin; 02-24-2015 at 04:18 AM.
02-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Thank you very much for posting that link, Praymettin. That made my day!
02-02-2015, 12:08 PM
iNethack2

Great write up, @Praymettin!

I'm the one working on getting iNethack2 up and running, with great guidance from the original author Dirk and beta testers.

So far the major issue is Hearse compatibility, but I think I should have that resolved soon.

The goal has mostly been to get Dirk's original port up and working again with the latest version of iOS and newer phones. So far it's going fairly well. Hopefully within the next month or two it will be back in the App store.
02-27-2015, 03:07 PM
iNetHack 2 is avaible now!