★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *** HALLOWEEN SALE! 50% OFF! ***

** Most Innovative iPhone Game of 2015 ** - Apple

Dark Echo is a brilliant, unique, and incredibly tense must-have masterpiece. 5/5 - TouchArcade

A masterful execution of minimalist design play this with headphones, in the dark, alone. - Indie Game Enthusiast

One of the creepiest and most creative horror games on the App Store. 4.5/5 - 148Apps

=======

Trapped in darkness, you must use visualized sound to guide your way through threatening environments. The sounds you create will bounce off obstacles, revealing the shape of the surrounding world. It won't be long before your only way of sensing the world attracts a horrifying evil that devours both sound and souls.

Survive through 80 levels that will make your heart race and leave you with an irrational fear of red lines. A foreboding soundscape, best experienced with headphones, sets the tone for your journey. Explore, solve puzzles, and most importantly - stay alive.

=======

No advertisements, no in-app purchases.

Designed for iPhone 4 and above.

* This game relies on the visualization of sound and cannot be played with audio only. It is not recommended for blind players.

=======

www.darkechogame.com

www.twitter.com/RAC7Games
02-03-2015, 04:14 AM
The PC version of this is stunning, such a clever and unique gameplay twist. Looks like another must buy for me really. Everything starts black, you have to find the exit with utter blindless using only the sound of your steps to echo-locate the walls of each maze. Every step sends out particles that bounce off surfaces forming this beautifully geometric, organic guide. It looks fantasic and I can't wait to see how it's been expanded.

You can try the free original game here: http://rac7.com/YouMustEscape/

Edit: Damn, it's really creepy too. I don't want to spoil the surprise but it's impressive that a game made of simple lines can genuinely scare me lol.

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 02-03-2015 at 04:19 AM.

02-03-2015, 04:43 AM
Just because I haven't posted doesn't mean I'm not clenching my fist and thinking "Damn you, Pete. Damn you". I'm waiting for a download to finish before trying out the PC version.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
02-03-2015, 06:12 AM
Well, that didn't take long. This just shot up my "Favorite iOS Games of All Time" list within a matter of minutes.

Yep, this is one of those special games that you feel could only exist on a touchscreen. Of course the PC version proves that it can exist on other platforms, but there's something about interacting with the touchscreen that makes this game surreal. Having every movement depend on where you put your finger, how fast you move it, how long you hold on while pressing. It's bloody fantastic.

Man, this game is just...the sound effects (whether it's your footsteps, the evil that surrounds you, ****ing flies (!!!), how clean everything is (those bloody lines are beautiful! ), how simple and effective the menu is. Gah...I ****ing love it.

I can't recommend this enough. If you're into games like Papa Sangre, Mayday! Deep Space and the like or just into stealth games...do yourself a favor and check this out. It's one of a kind.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that you shouldn't use the PC version as a measuring stick for the iOS version. That was done in 2 days. This...this is just on another level.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

Last edited by metalcasket; 02-03-2015 at 06:16 AM.
02-03-2015, 07:52 AM
Oh man, things start getting SUPER interesting around level 14. Wow. This game's mindblowingly good.

02-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Oh, MC, why must you do this to me???
Now I need to get this as well...
I played the browser version when it first came out, and I must confess that I didn't enjoy it a great amount. Is there still a high chance that I'll like this?
02-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Oh man, things start getting SUPER interesting around level 14. Wow. This game's mindblowingly good.
Played only 10 levels or so but have to agree, tis surprisingly good.
02-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatEscaper View Post
Oh, MC, why must you do this to me???
Now I need to get this as well...
I played the browser version when it first came out, and I must confess that I didn't enjoy it a great amount. Is there still a high chance that I'll like this?
You have to keep in mind the PC version was done as part of a game jam. The iOS version is leaps and bounds better. If I can't convince you, maybe this line from Pocket Gamer will: "Originally made in a matter of hours for Ludum Dare, Dark Echo was released in expanded and, quite frankly, brilliant form on iOS today."

02-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Dangnabbit guys, where am I going to find time to play any of these games?!?

Seriously though, this one's pretty nifty already on PC, when I have bandwidth I'll be downloading it on iOS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-03-2015, 11:37 AM
God, why so many good games release on the same time while I'm still having exam..... I still have oddbot, radiation island. Both waiting for me to be played, and now I think I need to put this also on my watchlist.

Game Center ID: copaeci