Want free games? Capture video for TouchArcade!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Eli, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#1 Eli, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    We're making a YouTube push in a big way and are looking for people who know how to do direct capture HD, high quality, iOS gameplay footage with new-ish devices (Like at least an iPhone 5S or iPad Air) willing to upload 30-60 minutes worth of video. Simple games could be more towards the 30 minute side, more in-depth games (Like Radiation Island or similar) would lean toward the 60 minute side. Longer is fine too, but that's just the baseline of what we're looking for.

No commentary or anything, just plugging your iOS device into your computer, capturing video off the screen, and uploading it to a place I'll set up for you to dump the files into. We'll either provide promo codes or otherwise cover the costs of the games you record. There's really no limit to the number of videos you can do, provided we don't already have a video up on our YouTube channel for that particular game and you haven't uploaded that video anywhere else. Exceptions can be made of course, if you want to do a video that's significantly different from one we have, but overall we're just trying to avoid duplicates.

The only catch is, because there's potentially money changing hands here you'll need to be over 18. It doesn't matter much if you're a US citizen or not (provided you're playing the game in English), but just keep in mind that we'll be doing reimbursement for things we don't have promo codes for in US Dollars.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in doing, send me a PM or get in contact with me some other way. Keep in mind I'm looking for actual dedicated people on this who are going to produce lots of videos, not necessarily someone who just wants to do one and be done... So, with that expectation out there, let's do this shit!

EDIT: Oh, and I've had a few people ask me about doing videos for free games. We can reimburse IAP purchases within reason, if you're into free to play games and getting some free IAP sounds sweet you should get in contact with me too. :)

EDIT 2: We're specifically looking for people who can do direct capture to their computer. The various iOS software capture solutions like Shou, iRec and others make you have the assistive touch interface on screen the entire time which isn't ideal.

2. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Sounds awesome wish I had the game capture hardware needed. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding some people to do this. Good luck!

3. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    what do you suggest for doing the recordings? and how often

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Great idea!

5. BairdCook

BairdCook New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    cool!Love it

6. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Hmm. Very tempted by this.

7. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    So will we choose games ourselves or you'll decide?

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You choose. I mean, I'd prefer more recent games to older ones but as long as we don't already have a video for something you can record whatever you want.

9. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Sounds very cool! Who wants to do an Adventure To Fate : Battle Arena video? Haha

10. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

#10 Anonomation, Feb 6, 2015
    Deleted on case of irrelevance

11. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    What do you suggest using to record? app etc

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    In all honesty, if you have to ask...

Personally I would recommend using the Apple-supported recording through QuickTime with a Mac running Yosemite. I've tried many different options - apps, jailbroken and otherwise, screen mirroring, etc. The only one that's ever worked consistently and high quality was the QuickTime option.

13. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Okay, I presume the reason for latest iPads to record is due to better resolution ??

14. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #14 mr.Ugly, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    out of curiosity what do you mean exactly by recording through quicktime running yosemite?

how do you capture the device screen that way? can you elaborate? maybe i missed one of the coolest yosemite feature?!

edit2: do'h found it.. wow..

15. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    It's a lot easier now if you have a device with a lightning connector and a Mac running Yosemite. Granted one is easier to obtain than the other.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

OK I should have gotten back to everyone who has contacted me. Oh, and like Echoseven said, if you don't know how to capture video you're probably not the right person for this. :)

17. I have heard people talk about needing certain hardware but literally all you need is an iPad air/mini 2/3 or iPhone 5 upwards for best results and a nifty little bit of software called Reflector Airplay Receiver for Mac or Windows. I use it all the time for my iOS gaming videos I upload to YouTube. The program is so simple that even a brain dead squirrel could operate it and not to mention it's dirt cheap as well, about $12-15!! :D

Link:
    http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/

18. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    reflector is bit painful today... it's often not responding on my windows seven 64 bit :(

19. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Recording an iPhone or iPad on your mac is super easy now.

Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac using a lighting connector.

Open QuickTime and go to file > new movie recording.

A window will pop up with your phone screen and then hit the record button (if it doesn't popup using you phone hit the drop down arrow next to the record button and select your iPhone or iPad)

This makes it super simple to record video on yor device. No need for any other program when you are done just save and drag and drop your video into youtube upload page done.

20. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

#20 Anonomation, Feb 10, 2015
    Deleted