★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games that you downloaded just because they had a cool icon

09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Games that you downloaded just because they had a cool icon

It's kinda funny, I've downloaded some apps just because they had a cool icon. The good thing is that some of these actually turned out to be good apps instead of the usual crap. ekibo for example, which is free is a decent game with cool music, same with 2 Block (also free).

Have you ever downloaded a game just because you thought the icon looked nice?

Now Playing Broken Sword
09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
no...

09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
No, I won't waste money. If I really liked the icon and was despertate to look at it every second of my joy filled life I would tale a screenshit and look at it in photo's and even that is stupid.
09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
No, but I do the opposite. I'll shy away from buying a good game if it has an ugly icon.

OpenFeint And Plus+ ID: Sturf (add me)

Playing: iBlast Moki, Rock Band, Meteor Blitz, Run!, Ramp Champ, Alive4Ever, Mr.AahH, MUST.EAT.BIRDS
09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I've looked at apps listed on the new/price-drop lists here and other sites because they had a cool icon, but never bought one just for the icon.

Is it just the apps I have, or do icons tend to change a decent amount? I've had a number of apps change their icons, sometimes more than once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-F View Post
It's kinda funny, I've downloaded some apps just because they had a cool icon. The good thing is that some of these actually turned out to be good apps instead of the usual crap. ekibo for example, which is free is a decent game with cool music, same with 2 Block (also free).

Have you ever downloaded a game just because you thought the icon looked nice?
So far you only gave examples of free games so you didn't take the plunge because of the icon (mostly), it's because of the fact that its free...

...C'mon if khalid made an app for 4.99 with one of the best icons..would you buy it?

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-14-2009, 05:25 PM
I dont buy the game based off the icon, but when i'm scrolling through pages of apps, some icons really catch your eye (GeoDefense, Pocket God, Cartoon Wars, etc.)

OMG. Double Rainbow!
User ID: Gryphon23 Agon: Gman23
"Birthday Cake, is just Birthday Cake without a little gravy..." Gravy makes EVERYTHING better.
09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
The whole point of the icon is to catch your eye for you to click on the game to check it out...as what I do, but if you buy a game solely on that (FREE doesn't count) you must be an idiot

btw I am not stating that the OP is an idiot

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyye06 View Post
So far you only gave examples of free games so you didn't take the plunge because of the icon (mostly), it's because of the fact that its free...

...C'mon if khalid made an app for 4.99 with one of the best icons..would you buy it?
Well, I bought Orbital just because of the cool looking icon.

Now Playing Broken Sword
09-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
I've looked at apps listed on the new/price-drop lists I've had a number of apps change their icons, sometimes more than once!
like pocket god

plus+ ID: jknightx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
I don't really think you need to be a "baller" to afford a $6 video game.