★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Welcome to Infer!

Infer is a logic game where it is your job to deduce where each tile is, given a set of clues. By using the clues to determine where each tile can and can't be, you can solve the puzzle. But, be careful -- bigger puzzles require more inference between what the clues each tell you and what can and can't be in specific positions on the game board!

The free version of the game includes four game board levels (3x3, 4x4, 5x5, and 6x6), a step-by-step tutorial on how to play the game, many achievements for you to earn, and leaderboards to prove you are faster at solving Infer puzzles faster than anyone else! Compete in multiplayer games against friends and random opponents!

--------------------------
If you have the time, please leave a review so that we can improve this game for everyone!

Atomichelix's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
02-11-2015, 02:09 AM
Any feedback? I'd love to hear what people think about it.

02-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Dloading now, prob won't be able to play until tomorrow though.

I see there is a paid version, would I be correct in assuming that ads are the only difference?
02-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Looks like a minimalistic Sherlock.

...which isn't a bad thing, as the complex games didn't translate well to the small screen. Need to re-download it and try it on my 6+ so I can compare with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Game Impressions

OK, this game is exactly what I was thinking of.

A few notes after a few games:

1) Game does not respect the mute switch.
2) UI is as clean and smooth as it looks.
3) Great tutorial.
4) Instead of blacking out the whole screen when selecting, grey fuzz out the rest and put selection in a black square in the middle, then you can ditch the Close button and just have people tap to the side. (You already have this behavior if you try to start any game levels besides Simple and Easy.)
5) An option to move completed clues to the bottom of the list to reduce scrolling would be great. (Preserve clue order would be good though, if I had 1,2,3,4,5 and I tapped on 4 then 1 the order would be 2,3,5,1,4 and if I tapped on 4 again it'd go 2,3,4,5,1 - does that make sense?)

So far the differences between this and Sherlock is that it's got diagonal clues, and no "what if" mode. It does have options to auto-select known correct answers, end the game if you make a mistake, and a timer you can turn on/off.

Haven't seen any adds in the Free version yet either, which is always a plus! Just an option to view the full game in the AppStore to play games above 4x4.

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-11-2015, 01:05 PM
One more note:

Forgot to mention that the full game is $1.99, includes unlimited randomly-generated puzzles up to 10x10 in size.

Sherlock (on iOS) has a fixed puzzle set of 7500 4x4, 5x5 & 6x6 puzzles in the $3.99 Ultra version.

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
I see there is a paid version, would I be correct in assuming that ads are the only difference?

No ads in the current version, but the free only has the 3x3 and 4x4 grids available to play. Next version will have ads, but open up the 5x5 and 6x6 to play, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
1) Game does not respect the mute switch.
Ok, I'll take a look at that. Thanks!

Quote:
2) UI is as clean and smooth as it looks.
3) Great tutorial.
Thanks. Needed to put the walkthrough in, as I know some people would just be confused with the rules alone.

Quote:
4) Instead of blacking out the whole screen when selecting, grey fuzz out the rest and put selection in a black square in the middle, then you can ditch the Close button and just have people tap to the side. (You already have this behavior if you try to start any game levels besides Simple and Easy.)
You know, I had that originally. I changed it to what it is now as a design choice, because once in a while, I would be narrowing down the tiles and I'd accidentally touch outside the box and dismiss the window. Most of the time it was harmless, but once in a while it bit me as I had clicked the wrong tile and ended the game. I decided that blocking the whole screen and placing a button for the user to explicitly dismiss the screen was better for gameplay. I'm open to discuss it, though.

Quote:
5) An option to move completed clues to the bottom of the list to reduce scrolling would be great. (Preserve clue order would be good though, if I had 1,2,3,4,5 and I tapped on 4 then 1 the order would be 2,3,5,1,4 and if I tapped on 4 again it'd go 2,3,4,5,1 - does that make sense?)
Makes perfect sense, actually! Thanks -- I'll try to get it into the next version.

Quote:
So far the differences between this and Sherlock is that it's got diagonal clues, and no "what if" mode. It does have options to auto-select known correct answers, end the game if you make a mistake, and a timer you can turn on/off.
There's more coming, too -- I'm currently working on multiplayer matches (both inviting friends and using matchmaking).

If you have any ideas, I'm always open to them.
03-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Multiplayer added!

Version 1.4.0 has added multiplayer to the game. You can challenge friends and use the matchmaking to find random opponents. This works that you will both get the same puzzle with the same clues, and the winner is the one that solves the puzzle the fastest (or, at all ).

Please, any and all comments welcome.