★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Has anyone actually made a profit on their FIRST game???

02-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Has anyone actually made a profit on their FIRST game???

Hey all,

My brother and I are currently 6 months into development of our first mobile game. We are both software developers and we decided to develop a mobile game as a way to learn more about Unity 3D.
However after months of development, our game has become a passion project. We are literally obsessed with coming up with ways to improve the gameplay.
We have sent a prototype out for testing and so far we have gotten great feedback. We plan on releasing it soon.

Has anyone here every actually made a PROFIT on their first game release? If so, what monetization model did you use?

Every developer forum or discussion all say the same thing...'No one makes money on their first game'..

David | Twitter: @DakidoMedia

Last edited by David_Don_13; 10-08-2015 at 05:30 AM.
02-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Nope. Even with great feedback and good reviews

edit to add: yes, I will have that review permanently bookmarked for all time.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!

Last edited by Blackharon; 02-10-2015 at 10:35 AM.

02-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Hey Blackharon

I just had a look at your review! Your game looked pretty cool. How long did it take you to develop? Also, was it tough getting it reviewed? How did you set your expectations?

Haha don't feel guilty, I'd bookmark a review too..even if it was a bad one
02-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Don_13 View Post
Hey Blackharon

I just had a look at your review! Your game looked pretty cool. How long did it take you to develop? Also, was it tough getting it reviewed? How did you set your expectations?

Haha don't feel guilty, I'd bookmark a review too..even if it was a bad one
It was a long long time ago, so details are fuzzy, times were different on the App Store and anything useful at the time is surely outdated info now.

Eli picked up Go Native! all on his own, so it wasn't tough to get reviewed at all, I think, at the time, we expected the game to go viral and make millions like Cut the Rope (cause that was the new big thing to compare to). Dev time was >1 year, because we reset and restarted several times.

Game Designer of:
Pickpawcket
And more!
02-10-2015, 03:43 PM
I did by getting someone to pay me to make it!

My first self published game also made a small amount of money(in the hundreds) but clearly didn't cover my costs when I could of made that amount in less than a day of working my normal job.

The answer to your question is it depends on so many factors. Nobody here knows the right answer for your game. I always want a free version so at least a few hundred download my games so I don't feel like a failure.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
02-10-2015, 06:12 PM
The first game I ever made cost me about $500 USD + my time to make it. It really depends on how you judge your time to say whether or not you "made money on it". All in all, as of today I've made somewhere around $15-20k off it. I consider that great for it being the first game I ever made. Anything is possible. Just make sure you have a good marketing plan for getting your game out there. And congrats on making your first game!
02-11-2015, 12:57 AM
Took me about 8 months to write the game engine and the actual game for Adventure To Fate. I paid about $100 for some art and sound otherwise I did my own. I did all the programming and most of the testing as well. I think I've made about 7k off it in like 10 months? I quit my day job (as a network engineer) to make it so you could say I took a loss on it haha.

Luckily I have some non game apps that keep me a float.

My first nongame app took about 6 months to write but that included learning objective-c and xcode. That's made about 15k so Id say I've some what broke even on that.

I heard somewhere that most compaines plan on their first few games to be losses bc it takes a while to write the engine and gain a brand following.
02-11-2015, 06:23 AM
The bug..

Thank you all for the great feedback! I appreciate all the honesty from you guys.
I left my position at a multi-national company last year because I've become so obsessed with the idea of developing games. (Most multi-nationals don't let you develop outside of work).
Since then I got a job with a smaller software company but now I am really struggling to keep that job too because all I can think about is the game I'm making
I spent my days at work looking for marketing ideas, networking advice and inspiration from other games. I've definitely got the development bug! Did ye feel like this too?
I love the satisfaction you get from handing someone your game and seeing their reaction(when it's a good one!). However satisfaction isn't enough
HOPEFULLY, I can make a profit from my first game. I would need at least 30k before I consider leaving my job and working on games full-time.

I'll update ye when I launch my game. I plan on releasing in March/ May.

If anyone has any advice on what they would do differently with their first game I'd really appreciate it Or if anyone out there was successful with their first launch could you please share your story
02-11-2015, 08:20 AM
I have never made a profit on any of my games. However, the only game I took a huge lose on was Whack-O-Wrestling, the others were manageable.
02-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Don_13 View Post
If anyone has any advice on what they would do differently with their first game I'd really appreciate it Or if anyone out there was successful with their first launch could you please share your story
1) Reduce the scope
2) Validate assumptions by soft launching / beta testing
3) Reduce the scope
4) Don't assume "if you build it they would come", set aside marketing money!
5) Reduce the number of restarts (and the scope!)
6) Launch early with just enough content, add content later

Those are my take aways that I'd still advise to newcomers in the industry.

Game Designer of:
Pickpawcket
And more!