★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Boring Parts of Game Development

02-13-2015, 08:13 AM
#1
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 48
Boring Parts of Game Development

What are the parts of game development you don't enjoy? I'll start...

I don't like anything not involving actual gameplay,effects, stuff the player actually sees, interacts, and reacts to.

I hate OPTIMIZATION the most... it's obviously supremely important for framerate and memory purposes but it's not something i get excited about doing...

Refactoring code is not fun. Actually i don't even like programming itself that much either... it's just a means to an end.
The best part of game dev is when you already programmed your level editor and can now make your game without worrying about coding.

Dealing with textures is annoying too, sitting there making sure visual quality doesn't suffer, texture sizes aren't too big... etc etc etc...

Polishing the game is a double edged sword, it can be maddening to tweak a bunch of variables for HOURS to get that right feel that you're looking for, but it does feel great when you nail it!

Social Integration is SUPER boring and really annoying to test... but a necessary step for any viral potential...

adding ads is boring but simple so whatever...

It's All Good Games
facebook.com/itsallgoodgames

Last edited by luniac; 02-13-2015 at 08:17 AM.
02-13-2015, 11:16 AM
#2
Oh man I love optimising code. Running the profiler and working out the bottleneck so I can squeeze extra frames out. Getting those precious resources back and letting me reallocate them for other things.... so delicious

I have an art monkey partner *points* so from an art perspective I hate having my shonky coder art in place until he replaces it with something nicer. I find making things in paint with magenta gets them worked on faster....

Refactoring I hate but it can help with 1) optimisation (see above) 2) allows me to expand features or 3) makes future work easier. So I kind of suffer through it regularly.

Not a big fan of adding stuff in itunes connect and google play for leaderboards etc.. That is probably the most boring stuff to do IMO. I did that a few weeks ago... leaderboard for each of the 53 levels. Cutting and pasting etc

Roguebox Studios
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Daily pics on our Instagram

02-13-2015, 12:28 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 102
Integrating third party libraries like facebook, twitter, gamecenter leaderboards, ad networks, iCloud, etc is pretty demoralising.
02-13-2015, 01:06 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Oh man I love optimising code. Running the profiler and working out the bottleneck so I can squeeze extra frames out. Getting those precious resources back and letting me reallocate them for other things.... so delicious

I have an art monkey partner *points* so from an art perspective I hate having my shonky coder art in place until he replaces it with something nicer. I find making things in paint with magenta gets them worked on faster....

Refactoring I hate but it can help with 1) optimisation (see above) 2) allows me to expand features or 3) makes future work easier. So I kind of suffer through it regularly.

Not a big fan of adding stuff in itunes connect and google play for leaderboards etc.. That is probably the most boring stuff to do IMO. I did that a few weeks ago... leaderboard for each of the 53 levels. Cutting and pasting etc
well ill admit that using the profiler isn't so bad, but imagine not having one! i use Unity3D FREE since i can't afford pro version yet and i had to get access to a pro version temporarily to use the profiler with my project. That back and forth process was really irritating, although i did solve all my optimization issues, and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
Integrating third party libraries like facebook, twitter, gamecenter leaderboards, ad networks, iCloud, etc is pretty demoralising.
I buy plugins for that crap, it's still annoying as hell but wayyy simpler then having to go through massive API, in fact i don't think im good enough of a programmer to have the patience of doing that... Id open a random facebook API page and have absolutely no clue wtf is going on, meanwhile the clock is ticking and im only getting older...

I'm only willing to dive into the deep end if it directly relates to gameplay, anything else i just simply don't have the interest to understand in greater depth... but that's what plugins are for right? and libraries... no need to reinvent the wheel.

It's All Good Games
facebook.com/itsallgoodgames
02-13-2015, 07:27 PM
#5
For me the hardest thing is the last final touches on game - sometime it takes days to finish the game.

Krzysiek Wolski
Baked Games | co-founder | http://www.bakedgames.pl/
facebook: http://facebook.com/BakedGames
twitter: http://twitter.com/Baked_Games/
02-14-2015, 04:06 AM
#6
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,065
Making screenshots and videos for every resolution

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
02-14-2015, 07:59 AM
#7
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisix View Post
For me the hardest thing is the last final touches on game - sometime it takes days to finish the game.
Fighting the feature creep is hard towards the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
Making screenshots and videos for every resolution
oh lord yes... hell making the game look properly at different aspect ratios was a challenge in itself, until i figured out a good workflow to more or less automate it.

It's All Good Games
facebook.com/itsallgoodgames
02-14-2015, 11:35 AM
#8
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
Integrating third party libraries like facebook, twitter, gamecenter leaderboards, ad networks, iCloud, etc is pretty demoralising.
That is really something I don't like either, integrating with Facebook, twitter .. etc
02-14-2015, 04:39 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Under a Raincloud
Posts: 102
Resizing all the art assets so that they fit and look good on all these different devices. Maybe there's some program out there that expedites this process, but, man, when you have to do it by hand.......
02-14-2015, 05:51 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbSnail View Post
Resizing all the art assets so that they fit and look good on all these different devices. Maybe there's some program out there that expedites this process, but, man, when you have to do it by hand.......
instead of resizing it i just do one 800x1280 on android and add black borders at the edges of my game space. Then for a smaller height like 800x1000 as an example, id shrink the game space proportionately to avoid streching and it would just expose a little bit of the black edges on the sides of the screen.
It doesn't affect gameplay at all, and the resolution ratios are never so off that theres a huge black borders, isn't this how TV does it too?

same process for ios, except i use a different reference size...

It's All Good Games
facebook.com/itsallgoodgames