★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[Devlog] Swipey Rogue, by First-Order Games (swipe-action, autorunning, puzzle-rogue)

02-13-2015, 02:34 PM
[Devlog] Swipey Rogue, by First-Order Games (swipe-action, autorunning, puzzle-rogue)

Swipe-Action / Auto-Runner vs. Dungeon-Crawling / Room Puzzler

Features:

Challenge Saga mode
  • - 200 Hand Crafted (non-random) Challenge Rooms
  • - 4 Themed Areas with unique Gameplay Mechanics
  • - Per Room, Per Area, and Global Progression Stats
  • - High Score, Speed Run Leaderboards & Achievements
  • - Video Replays

Free Running mode
  • - Procedurally Generated Labyrinths of Procedurally Generated Rooms
  • - Unlock Areas in Challenge Saga mode to be included in Rogue Run mode's Labyrinths
  • - Dynamic Character Build (xp gain yields perk choice unlock, many perks to choose/experiment)
  • - Perma-Death (run 'till you die, go as far as you can)
  • - High Score Leaderboard

Ship date:

• - August 20, 2015 (or 27, if re-submission is delayed)

Cost:

• - FREE with ads, Pay what you want: $0.99 - $4.99 to remove ads forever NO OTHER IAP

About Me:

• - Former CoD MP, GH, THPS Designer / Programmer
  • - Made the fully committed, terrifying leap into full time indie
  • - Ask me anything. Thanks for taking an interest!

Last edited by firstordergames; 08-17-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added trailer video
02-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Figured out the video embed, thanks.

This helped:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/misc.p...bbcode#youtube

Last edited by firstordergames; 04-30-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: figured out video embed

02-13-2015, 02:42 PM
quote-copy this:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
02-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Many thanks, exact quote copy still doesn't seem to work. I appreciate you trying. I have no idea why it isn't working for me. Very embarassed.

Last edited by firstordergames; 07-30-2015 at 01:40 PM.
02-13-2015, 03:13 PM
I like )
02-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Really, this looks very intriguing - day one customer here.

Not english native, so i'm confused about your Cost comments. It's absolutely NO BS to have an iap to get rid of the ads. Imho, it's a must have option anyways.

I want but don't believe your ship-date, and i dare to say, you rather change it to something...not so specific. Too close with too little testing possible, imho. Please, don't rush your first game, specially since it's looking so promising, at least in my books.

And as a developing wish: could we get seperate volume sliders for BGM and SFX ?

I will watch this space/blog closely and i wish you success and luck.

Edit: other Devs have done it before to let TA's members test their games. Just an idea.
02-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertz555 View Post
Really, this looks very intriguing - day one customer here.

Not english native, so i'm confused about your Cost comments. It's absolutely NO BS to have an iap to get rid of the ads. Imho, it's a must have option anyways.

I want but don't believe your ship-date, and i dare to say, you rather change it to something...not so specific. Too close with too little testing possible, imho. Please, don't rush your first game, specially since it's looking so promising, at least in my books.

And as a developing wish: could we get seperate volume sliders for BGM and SFX ?

I will watch this space/blog closely and i wish you success and luck.

Edit: other Devs have done it before to let TA's members test their games. Just an idea.
Thanks for your interest and your comments. I agree with all of them.

I was going to try to avoid adding an IAP because there is other paperwork that has to be done to make paid game with apple, and also there is more work with purchase restoration. So I was thinking to maybe just do that as an update after release? But your enthusiasm is encouraging me to try to add it in for release. Thanks!

Thanks again for your interest and thoughtful comments. More updates coming soon.

Last edited by firstordergames; 04-25-2015 at 03:09 PM.
02-14-2015, 09:52 AM
I get your points, too. Thanks for those interesting infos, and the edit of your previous post. See ya next time.
02-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Hey Qwertz555,

You motivated me to finish up the settings menu so now all of the menus are complete. Music toggle is connected to music player. SFX toggle does not function yet because I haven't added any sfx so I haven't integrated my sfx manager code yet.

02-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Back to the Beginning

Let's go back in time a bit to the beginning of this project and share the early development of the core gameplay idea, and the level editor.

Concept

The idea for Swipey Rogue came about while experimenting with virtual stick and swipe input on mobile. I wanted to control an ever moving character in some sort of action scenario. However, I'm also love action RPGs and Rogue-likes. I became curious to see if I could make a game that somehow combines the fun elements of grid based rogue-likes and the action elements of simple touch games like Flappy Bird and Crossy Road.

The result became Swipey Rogue! Early on, I experimented with a virtual joystick control where the player could rotate any angle and move in any direction (not just cardinal directions like now). This was very fun and engaging but difficult to navigate obstacles. I decided to put that control scheme on the shelf for another project and focus the control for this game to just allow movement in the 4 cardinal directions and make swipes just switch between them. The simplified control let me design more complex obstacles and pathways in the levels.

Gameplay Space

I wanted to use a top down view that maximizes the screen and allows for portrait play. I find portrait play much more convenient for mobile games than landscape games as it allows you to play with one hand more spontaneously (which is key for mobile games IMO). I got a small set of great assets from the Unity store (BitGem makes nice stuff!) and started optimizing, chopping, and building. In the end I got the above grid. It is 5x9 tiles, each tile is 4x4 Unity units. I created prefabs for the walls so that every wall segment could double as an entrance or exit (giving me maximum flexibility for designing levels so the player can enter and exit from any wall segment on any wall).

Designed (not randomized) Levels:

Once I had made a hand placed level as a prototype and was able to play it and have fun, I knew I would need some sort of tool to help me with level creation. I began making a simple 2D tile editor in unity. (It is very ugly, but it's not the product that I ship, just the tool I use so that's ok for me because it works good).

The above screen shows the level editor in action on the right through the camera view, and the elements of the editor sitting in a Unity scene on the left. I just used sprites with colliders added to them and a bunch of onMouseDown scripts. I can paint items into the tiles on the left from the 'pallet' on the right. Back at the beginning it only supported: ground, lava, enemies (easy, medium, hard, boss), breakable vases (with meat pickup inside!), directional fireball turrets, and 1 entrance and 1 exit.

It saves and loads data to/from XML and the game side loads, parses, and builds it with prefabs I chopped up into usable modular chunks.

But wait! Rogue-likes have randomly generated levels!!

Ya ya, I know. That's Gauntlet Mode. Right now, I'm sharing how Adventure Mode is made.

For Adventure Mode, I could spend the time creating a procedural system which creates random snaking patterns of lava and stone through a room, add random enemies and pickups.. blah blah. But, I felt this mode needed actual designed levels, not randomized. Nothing against procedural stuff, I enjoy making procedural systems a lot, I like playing games like that, and Gauntlet Mode functions in that way. For this mode though, I really felt like making the rooms more intentional spaces. My goal for Adventure Mode is to ship with 200 rooms. I'll outline how the level progression works in a future update but a quick description would be that it's all about beating all the levels and replaying them to get "3 stars" on each, getting a higher score, and beating your fastest time.

Parsed and Loaded Level

Above, you can see the same level loaded in the game. It is assembled from the level editor using the modular asset prefabs I created and the enemy, hazard, and interactable prefabs that I made. On the left you can see the perspective view in the Unity editor, and on the right you can see the gameplay view through the camera. It's so exciting at this stage to finally see it working from editor to game. It feels like anything is possible now, but there's still a lot of work.

The wonderful 3D models from Bitgem helped me get up and running faster, giving the game some life with attractive assets instead of temp art. I may keep them through release or source other assets.

Gameplay Gifs

These were a couple of my first gameplay gifs showing very early level tests. The levels and assets have improved a lot since these tests in the beginning but I like to share so you can see progress.

Thanks!

If you've made it this far, thanks! This project has come a long way since the beginning. I look forward to sharing more progress with you.

Last edited by firstordergames; 04-30-2015 at 06:17 PM.