★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: X-Plane Helicopter-First Impressions?

12-18-2008, 09:33 PM
X-Plane Helicopter-First Impressions?

This thread is a "No Whine Zone." I'm particularly talking about complaining that X-Plane 9 should include helicopters.

Has anyone tried it yet? There's been a lot of talk about it, but I haven't heard anyone say they've tried it out. I also can't find any videos.

I think looks pretty good. It seems like it'd be more challenging than flying planes.

Anybody?
-------------------------------------
whine |(h)wīn|
noun
a long, high-pitched complaining cry : the dog gave a small whine.
a long, high-pitched unpleasant sound : the whine of the engine.
a complaining tone of voice.
a feeble or petulant complaint : a constant whine about the quality of public services.)

Last edited by NotYou; 12-18-2008 at 09:38 PM.
12-18-2008, 09:43 PM
No whine? Thats kinda abusing your mod postition a bit.....no other member (not even arn) does this. Anyway, you won't get much of an answer here cause barely anyone here has bought it because of the reason we are whining

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95

12-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Send a message via AIM to STP_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to STP_Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
This thread is a "No Whine Zone." I'm particularly talking about complaining that X-Plane 9 should include helicopters.

Has anyone tried it yet? There's been a lot of talk about it, but I haven't heard anyone say they've tried it out. I also can't find any videos.

I think looks pretty good. It seems like it'd be more challenging than flying planes.

Anybody?
-------------------------------------
whine |(h)wīn|
noun
a long, high-pitched complaining cry : the dog gave a small whine.
a long, high-pitched unpleasant sound : the whine of the engine.
a complaining tone of voice.
a feeble or petulant complaint : a constant whine about the quality of public services.)
We're working on a review right now.

Steve Palley, www.slidetoplay.com
12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
No whine? Thats kinda abusing your mod postition a bit.....no other member (not even arn) does this. Anyway, you won't get much of an answer here cause barely anyone here has bought it because of the reason we are whining
That was just a joke. I'm not abusing anything. "No whining" is more of lame request. I wouldn't ever ban anyone for not listening to me. That would backfire instantly.

Last edited by NotYou; 12-18-2008 at 10:34 PM.
12-18-2008, 10:37 PM
@STP Steve

can you post a link when you done. i'm wondering about the control system for this one. xplane worked great but i don't know about this one till i see how it works.

i'm hoping all the maps get put in all the versions of xplanes
12-18-2008, 10:51 PM
I have it and I like it.

Hi. I too had my reservations at first. I own both the X-Plane desktop version and the iPhone one. I was also expecting to have just one application with more locations and plane varieties. It would have been great to fly through the Grand Canyon on a jet at higher speeds. However, if this is the way the developer decided to go well...I don't like it but I am also a big fan. I knew that in the end I would have bought it anyway so I went ahead and did it.

I like it. Its very different. The graphics are really good. It plays slower because the helicopters are slower. Having said that, the slower speed allows you to fly low between the canyons. I did not see a drop in frame rate (as other users claim), and I did not find it hard to fly. However, I have flown helicopters before (on the computer), and that definitely helps. I knew what I was getting into. If you have never flown a helicopter before, and have the patience to learn, this is a very enjoyable application. Its not that hard. Some might do it in minutes others might take a little longer. If not, I would suggest sticking with the regular versions. The X-Plane Airliner, which I also own, its a good deal at about $5.- and is also very enjoyable.

I hope this helped...

Joaquin.
12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin P. View Post
Hi. I too had my reservations at first. I own both the X-Plane desktop version and the iPhone one. I was also expecting to have just one application with more locations and plane varieties. It would have been great to fly through the Grand Canyon on a jet at higher speeds. However, if this is the way the developer decided to go well...I don't like it but I am also a big fan. I knew that in the end I would have bought it anyway so I went ahead and did it.

I like it. Its very different. The graphics are really good. It plays slower because the helicopters are slower. Having said that, the slower speed allows you to fly low between the canyons. I did not see a drop in frame rate (as other users claim), and I did not find it hard to fly. However, I have flown helicopters before (on the computer), and that definitely helps. I knew what I was getting into. If you have never flown a helicopter before, and have the patience to learn, this is a very enjoyable application. Its not that hard. Some might do it in minutes others might take a little longer. If not, I would suggest sticking with the regular versions. The X-Plane Airliner, which I also own, its a good deal at about $5.- and is also very enjoyable.

I hope this helped...

Joaquin.
That's all I needed to hear. I think I'm definitely getting this now.
12-18-2008, 11:09 PM
It is only $5, well worth it. It is much more challenging than the other two X-Planes, especially trying to land.