★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ***** 'Its a little slow to start, but Sharp Minds is a pretty satisfying math puzzler' - 148apps.com
***** 'A cool math puzzle thats easy to play yet challenging A great app to have fun with adding numbers!' - funeducationalapps.com
***** 'I would wholly recommend parents who allow their kids to play on their smartphones to let them play this game instead of Angry Birds or Candy Crush - the game educates effectively without feeling forced like purebred learning games' - Horace Wallpool

Do you enjoy solving puzzles? Do you like to keep your mind sharp? This number puzzle game might be just the thing for you!

Solve unique and challenging puzzles by adding numbers! How difficult can adding up to ten or twenty be? Find out in this fun puzzle game which really gets your mind going.

Free. No ads. No in-app purchases. No hidden charges.
Also no matching, crushing or flapping! :)

Requires the ability to count to twenty and at least one finger. :)

Sharp Minds features:
- Hundreds of levels
- Increasing difficulty and variety
- Unlockable characters and chapters
- Global leaderboards

Start training your brain with this cool math game!

https://twitter.com/SharpMindsGame
https://www.facebook.com/SharpMindsGame
http://www.dreamvis.com/SharpMinds

NikolaBarun's comments:

SHARP MINDS

A puzzle game which sharpens your mind

Hi everyone,

A small indie team released Sharp Minds - mobile number puzzle game.
Sharp Minds is simple, fun and is a great exercise for your brain. It is aimed at players who love to think a lot while they play.

Use unique addition mechanics to solve hundreds of levels. Overcome increasing puzzle difficulty and master variety
of powers available. Unlock new characters and chapters, collect stars and compare scores with people around the
world.
Sharp Minds is available worldwide and is FREE, without ads or in-app purchases.

A puzzle game which sharpens your mind

Our Website: http://www.dreamvis.com/SharpMinds

02-15-2015, 10:14 PM
Are these levels procedurally generated? Is each level solvable with a single/unique solution?

02-16-2015, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
Are these levels procedurally generated? Is each level solvable with a single/unique solution?
Levels are predetermined in game, but were procedurally generated during development.
There are multiple solutions since after the initial setup of each level (which is fixed), subsequent numbers that show up are random.

The entire process of level generation, choosing the levels and setting their difficulty was a big part of our development. If you'd want to know about this in more detail, please voice your interest at our developer's blog which we've just started writing. I'm sure Sasa would be happy to write about that in depth.
02-16-2015, 05:49 AM
I have trouble understanding the core mechanics of this game.

Are the "replacement" tiles truly random? Or do they depend in some ways on the values of the neighboring tiles and/or the tiles that were just merged?

If the tile values in these replacements are random, wouldn't it be too easy to get yourself into a situation in which the level becomes unwinnable because none of the tiles could be added to form the needed sum or sums?

Does the solution for a level need to depend in any way on a replacement tile? Or is each level always solvable using ONLY the tiles that are shown when the level is started? This is important because the random nature of the replacement tiles means that any solution which depends on a replacement will sometimes fail if the value of the replacement turns out to be different from what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaBarun View Post
Levels are predetermined in game, but were procedurally generated during development.
There are multiple solutions since after the initial setup of each level (which is fixed), subsequent numbers that show up are random.

The entire process of level generation, choosing the levels and setting their difficulty was a big part of our development. If you'd want to know about this in more detail, please voice your interest at our developer's blog which we've just started writing. I'm sure Sasa would be happy to write about that in depth.
02-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Hi Nikola! I am enjoying Sharp Minds. It is a simple, but clever numbers puzzle game and is very well presented. I am curious as to what motivated your team to put so much work into a game without monetizing it? By the way, thank you!

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
02-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
I have trouble understanding the core mechanics of this game.

Are the "replacement" tiles truly random? Or do they depend in some ways on the values of the neighboring tiles and/or the tiles that were just merged?

If the tile values in these replacements are random, wouldn't it be too easy to get yourself into a situation in which the level becomes unwinnable because none of the tiles could be added to form the needed sum or sums?

Does the solution for a level need to depend in any way on a replacement tile? Or is each level always solvable using ONLY the tiles that are shown when the level is started? This is important because the random nature of the replacement tiles means that any solution which depends on a replacement will sometimes fail if the value of the replacement turns out to be different from what you want.
Hi!

I am developer and designer of the game (there's three of us), so I'll help out with these questions

Random numbers that appear in empty tiles are truly random and don't depend on anything.
Nature of the puzzles is that their difficulty is increasing - that also means that statistically there is greater chance for level to be unwinnable even if played optimally.
However, this becomes relevant pretty late in the game.
Initially, levels are completely solvable with just the starting numbers on the board.
Later on, it's statistically insignificant for a level to be unsolvable in a given number of moves (even with 3 stars) if played optimally. This changes in levels in high chapters where this chance increases.

We've played a lot with this, and I had a prototype with 'exact' puzzles, but they all turned out not to be fun. Too straightforward - either you see solution on the first move or you don't.
Random numbers give replay value and force you to rethink your moves and approach to finishing a level after each move.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. If you have more questions, I'll be happy to answer - as you can see I love talking about it
02-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
Hi Nikola! I am enjoying Sharp Minds. It is a simple, but clever numbers puzzle game and is very well presented. I am curious as to what motivated your team to put so much work into a game without monetizing it? By the way, thank you!
Hi!

I'll jump in again. Many people ask about this and I intend to write an article on our new blog explaining just that.

In short, it has to do with two things:

1. My experience on previous mobile project where we succumbed to current trends and made a game with lots of in-app purchases. Just because. We were accused of being greedy and with some shame, I have to admit it was true. It did conflict with my beliefs even then and I'm now kinda clearing my conscience (I know it sounds like personal mumbo jumbo, but it's true)

2. Our belief that if you make something good and people like it, money will follow. People will actually want to give it to you (I've been fortunate enough to experience this as well). And we're not even sure that we can do something worthwhile for people to love that much. That's why the first step is to learn how to make such a game. Everything else is irrelevant until you learn that.

Heh! This is already part of my blog post!

Hope I answered your question

Cheers!

Last edited by Sasa Stublic; 02-16-2015 at 01:05 PM.
02-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasa Stublic View Post
Hi!

I'll jump in again. Many people ask about this and I intend to write an article on our new blog explaining just that.

In short, it has to do with two things:

1. My experience on previous mobile project where we succumbed to current trends and made a game with lots of in-app purchases. Just because. We were accused of being greedy and with some shame, I have to admit it was true. It did conflict with my beliefs even then and I'm now kinda clearing my conscience (I know it sounds like personal mumbo jumbo, but it's true)
Good for you! I appreciate this and, in fact, that statement is what persuaded me to download the game.

I'm glad I did. It's extremely polished and attractive. The graphics are clear and sharp, which is always really important to me as my eyes are becoming very fussy as I get older. The game is fun to play. The action is smooth and fluid. New elements of play are introduced in a very easy-to-understand way. In short, I like it a lot and look forward to progressing through the levels. I'd definitely pay a few bucks for an attractive, enjoyable game like this.
02-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentia View Post
Good for you! I appreciate this and, in fact, that statement is what persuaded me to download the game.

I'm glad I did. It's extremely polished and attractive. The graphics are clear and sharp, which is always really important to me as my eyes are becoming very fussy as I get older. The game is fun to play. The action is smooth and fluid. New elements of play are introduced in a very easy-to-understand way. In short, I like it a lot and look forward to progressing through the levels. I'd definitely pay a few bucks for an attractive, enjoyable game like this.
Valentia,

thank you very much, such kind words and positive feedback really motivates the entire team to keep up improving the game.

If you or anyone else enjoys the game, you can support us by rating it in the beginning of this thread.
02-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaBarun View Post
Valentia,

thank you very much, such kind words and positive feedback really motivates the entire team to keep up improving the game.

If you or anyone else enjoys the game, you can support us by rating it in the beginning of this thread.
Done.