★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Will we ever see $60 games in the Mobile Market?

02-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Will we ever see $60 games in the Mobile Market?

I can't help but notice the lack of Console quality video games on the AppStore. Being a hardcore gamer, I'd love to be able to play premium games with hours of gameplay, immersion & a level of quality. But I figure to actually see this, the AppStore economy will have to shift towards premium.

So, I guess my question, along with the title, is; Are YOU willing to pay 60$ for a console equivalent on your mobile phone / tablet?
02-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Youll have to settle for ports, wich isnt a bad thing really. But no id even be shocked if console games remained 60 for long. Too many free games are making a billion a day.

02-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleySaege View Post
I can't help but notice the lack of Console quality video games on the AppStore. Being a hardcore gamer, I'd love to be able to play premium games with hours of gameplay, immersion & a level of quality. But I figure to actually see this, the AppStore economy will have to shift towards premium.

So, I guess my question, along with the title, is; Are YOU willing to pay 60$ for a console equivalent on your mobile phone / tablet?
Probably not. Mainly because I prefer to play the more immersive and time consuming games in my consoles or PC as it's much more comfortable and I prefer the bigger screen and better sound quality for extended gaming sessions, I use my tablet on the go mostly so while I have some meatier titles I don't get to play them as much as I like as usually when I'm on my tablet I'm not fully focused. If a tablet was my only gaming device then absolutey I would spend $60 but while I have other options, then I'd probably not.
02-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanx View Post
Youll have to settle for ports, wich isnt a bad thing really. But no id even be shocked if console games remained 60 for long. Too many free games are making a billion a day.
This, pretty much.

But im willing to pay $60 on day one for each MH title ported off the wii or the new ds.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
02-17-2015, 09:54 PM
The kind of games I enjoy as a gamer are not really available on mobile and I don't see that changing (games like Dragon Age Inquisition, Legend of Zelda (and please don't compare Oceanhorn. I own oceanhorn but I don't think it's close to Zelda quality, even though it is a solid game in its own right).

I do enjoy the mobile platform but it's different and that's not really a bad thing. I absolutely loved Dragon Age Inquisition on my ps4 but I couldn't imagine enjoying that game on a touch screen. Even if the graphics could compare it'd be a battle for controls. I think a $60 price tag for a mobile game is out of the question. I don't mind paying for premium games, but not at that price on this platform.

And the majority of iOS users want free games, so I expect free-to-play to keep rising as it has in the past few years.
02-17-2015, 09:59 PM
I think there's plenty of console quality games available. Lots of great poets out there. Plus I'm happy with console ports from the Genesis etc ! Plenty of great retro games to port over
02-17-2015, 11:10 PM
I think one day you may see a big name game retail for a true premium mobile price which in some cases would be more fair to the player than buying overpriced IAP (ex. cars in racing games) although I don't think all IAP is overpriced. To me the premium price would be what the premium mobile leader charges and to me that is still Nintendo ($39.99 around here).

If you are going to try and get $60 in the App Store it has to be something special in name value, unbelievably amazing, unexpected, uncut, and released at or around the same time of the console / PC versions (unless packaged in a series). If for example Bethesda released Fallout IV, Elder Scrolls VI for mobile or if EA released the Mass Effect Trilogy with App Store size limit exceptions granted from Apple for all games mentioned then you will see people willfully purchase for $60 without thinking twice.

Certainly not expecting such things to come to pass in the near future even if developers and publishers are eager since mobile storage is going to need to be much greater than it is now but besides that it will take a juggernaut of a game to accomplish anything with a big brother full retail price tag on the marketplace. I believe companies like EA or Gameloft should test the waters of the marketplace with stacked premium unlocks for their f2p mobile franchises coming in around $20 to $35 and see how those perform.

Last edited by JasonLL; 02-18-2015 at 10:08 PM.
02-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Isn't Skylanders Trap Team for iPad around $60 and the exact same experience as the console versions?

Looks like the answer to the OP's question is that it's not only possible, but it's already happened!
02-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_Mike View Post
Isn't Skylanders Trap Team for iPad around $60 and the exact same experience as the console versions?

Looks like the answer to the OP's question is that it's not only possible, but it's already happened!
Skylanders Trap Team is free to download with three $15 packages which is still a good chunk of change. There are also various war games that have higher price tags than most games in the App Store. Highly praised Panzer Corps in particular is $20 plus $60 for the gimme everything IAP so the higher priced games certainly exist in the more niche areas of the marketplace.

Last edited by JasonLL; 02-19-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: replaced on with in
02-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleySaege View Post
Hell no.