★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Build and manage your own school of magic and take on powerful wizards and sorcerers to become the most powerful mage in the kingdom.

Schools of Magic is a complete adventure game that combines resource management and real-time combat.

Free the kingdom from the four great schools of magic that hold the world in their tyrannical grasp with dark arts. Defy and defeat druids, arcane mages, priests, and the dreaded necromancers in epic battles of arcane power.

Fight against other players wizards in awesome real-time multiplayer duels. Defend your school from the attacks of other wizards and assail rival schools.

Train your wizard in the school, improve the infrastructure to research new spells, and equip yourself with fantastic magic objects you can use in battle.

Enter a world filled with magic and mythological creatures. Orcs, minotaurs, griffons, and other enchanting creatures await you in Schools or Magic.

FOUR GAME MODES:
- School management: develop your school to attract new apprentices, research new spells, and improve your wizard.
- Player vs. Player (PvP): fight against other wizards online in real-time multiplayer battles.
- Campaign: venture into this magic world to defeat the four great wizards who have taken hold of the world using their dark arts.
- Customize your wizard: equip your wizard with hats, caps, robes, capes, rings, and different weapons that grant special powers and skills.

KEY FEATURES:
- Fight real-time battles of arcane power.
- Collect different magic objects and weapons to equip your wizard with.
- Challenge other wizards online.
- Discover incredible magic weapons.
- All the game modes can be played for free.
- Invite your friends and play with them in real time.
- Chat with other wizards.
- High-resolution graphics.
- Optimized for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
02-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Game Impressions

03-19-2015, 10:11 AM
This game went live worldwide today
03-19-2015, 02:36 PM
At lvl 7 this game seems pretty promising, it is more luck oriented than strategy but so far the game seems good and addictive, at the beggining there is a special offer for 5$ and im planning on buying it later today but that will be the ONLY purchase i will ever do on this game since it appears to be a "whale" type of game.

IMPORTANT if you want a head start at the beggining, write my name in the recommendation section, you will recieve a gift as well as me, my gamer tag is jfrank#475
03-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank7 View Post
At lvl 7 this game seems pretty promising, it is more luck oriented than strategy but so far the game seems good and addictive, at the beggining there is a special offer for 5$ and im planning on buying it later today but that will be the ONLY purchase i will ever do on this game since it appears to be a "whale" type of game.
Yeah, it's got the usual gimmicks like buying extra builders if you want to construct more than one thing at once, buildings with multiple levels with a main building you need to upgrade to continue to upgrade the other buildings, etc. At least the combat breaks up the FARMVILLE! feel to it all.

It has a decent amount of polish - other than the dialogue in the intro where the announcer had this habit of speaking over his own words by starting a voice clip before the other one had finished.

I'll ponder the $4.99 special offer myself - these are the kind of games I'll play for a couple weeks until I've max/minned them and then lose interest, but I might get $5 of entertainment out of that. I'll wait until the 23 hour and 59 minute mark, of course, since one of the benefits of that purchase is maxxing out your Gold/Wood storehouses, so naturally you'd want them to be the highest levels you can manage BEFORE doing that offer.

I put in your code out of curiosity to see what it did - on my end, it gave me a rare item (the Lives Life Hat which "Deducts 11 life points with each attack" - hopefully that means it reduces damage taken and not that it damages you for wearing it!).

My own code is peridot#384 if anyone wants to enter that so I can see what you get when someone ELSE uses your code. Or jfrank7 can just let me know and satisfy my curiosity that way.
03-19-2015, 08:34 PM
I got the rare king's robe that gives 11 physical defense and 21 magic attack, it is a beast!
03-20-2015, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank7 View Post
I got the rare king's robe that gives 11 physical defense and 21 magic attack, it is a beast!
Nice. I've had a couple different people put in my code - it looks like you get a "rare" (third tier of item rarity) item when you put in someone else's code, and that person gets a "special" (second tier of item rarity) item when they use your code. (I have an item that says "special" in the description but is actually RARE, so you can't trust rarity by the name.)

Not sure if you'll consistently get those levels of rarity, or if the items scale by level - in which case it would be better to wait as long as you can BEFORE you put in another player's code.

-----------

I worry that the usual "stalling" tactics will be effective in this game - you don't get XP for the Farmville activities, so you can keep your level low while you gather enough Gold and Wood to max out your spells and training. Then, once an event starts, you participate in it and tear apart the competition that has "normal" stats. (Assuming it pairs off opponents by character level and not character STRENGTH.)

Or, worse, participate in PVP and deliberately LOSE a lot to reduce your ranking pre-event.

You know you've played too many freemium games when your first thought is "how will people cheat the system in THIS one?"

-----------

And my goodness, are there a lot of random typos in this game. The official website description gives a preview of that, and how it has some fairly literal translation going on:

Schools of Magic is now availabe for free on the App Store. Since it is a game about wizards, it arrives precisely when he means to. And it comes ready to take you to a workd of fantasy, where wizards are never late.

As a wizard-in-training, I know it's VITAL that I arrive precisely when I mean to.

Last edited by Laire; 03-20-2015 at 05:48 AM.
03-20-2015, 05:49 AM
So this is decent? It sure looks like alright from the trailer, guess i will give it a spin after work.
03-21-2015, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwipeNova View Post
So this is decent? It sure looks like alright from the trailer, guess i will give it a spin after work.
I'd say it falls into the category of a "casual distraction." If you want to scratch that itch of needing another 'develop your town from a single Level 1 building to an efficient resource-generating metropolis,' it'll do that quite nicely. You're also improving your character's stats and spell list along the way.

If you like to DECORATE your towns, there's surprisingly little to work with in way of decoration or even roads. There's a zillion trees to clear off the landscape but you're not even going to need half of the available space right now to place every building currently available.

Combat's pretty straightforward, mostly a matter of timing your button presses to do extra damage and learning the flow of battle so you have the least "down time" while waiting for casts to recharge and not using up all your MP in the first half of the fight.

Gold and Wood generate in limited amounts, encouraging you to go out and fight for it (or spend "Premium Currency" on the larger buildings). Right now my best building is a Level 6 Sawmill, which brings in 1,620 Wood per hour with a max capacity of 40,000. (On the plus side, that means you can check in just once a day and not lose any resources.)

[Some day I'll learn how to write without every thought being a run-on sentence. Sheesh.]