★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: TimeFold - An addictive score-attack game ($0.99)

09-15-2009, 03:39 PM
TimeFold - An addictive score-attack game ($0.99)

Big Sandwich Games is pleased to announce the release of TIMEFOLD for iPhone/iPod Touch!
Available now for $0.99!

Direct Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=325679374&mt=8&uo=6

Screenshots and More Information: http://www.bigsandwichgames.com/iphone

Game Description:
TIMEFOLD is an innovative and charming time-bending game of score attack and space travel! You control a spaceship that is directed by where you point your finger. Every few seconds, your ship will fold back into time and you will take control of a new ship while the old ship follows your previous moves. Avoid other ships and asteroids and try to get as many new ships to spawn as you can. The longer you survive, the higher your score!

Pricing:
TIMEFOLD is on sale for $0.99 and features incredible replayability as you try to improve your high score and get as many ships onto the screen as possible!

About Big Sandwich Games, Inc.:
Big Sandwich Games is a Vancouver-based authorized developer for Wii, DS, Xbox, PS3, and iPhone. Our latest project "Sky Pirates of Neo Terra" will be available for Wii and DS during 2010. (Also look for the Sky Pirates comic, in stores September 30 2009 under the Image Comics label!)

FMI: biz@bigsandwichgames.com
09-15-2009, 05:31 PM
So this sounds like it could be fascinating. Another unique take on line drawing. I am so-so on line drawing games (even though I own like 15 - 20 of them) but this could add a really cool wrinkle on it. Do you have a video demonstrating the game play? Thanks, and welcome to TA!

I wanted to also note that I went to your website and see that you made Fusion, which I really like.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer

09-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Let's do the Time Warp again!

Seems pretty neat - but wouldn't the strategy become fairly plain, like just fly in circles, or direct all ships (one at a time, of course) fly in lines parallel to each other? Eventually you'd run out of room.

I bet this game gets pretty trippy once you've warped a number of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I created another thread for this game earlier today.(mods please close that one)
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=25529

Veratek tried it out....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veratek View Post
i tried it out.

I like it, but it plays differently than expected. Your ship is constantly in motion, and you are drawing the ship's path in real time (there is no flight path trace-marks, the ship simply flies to where your finger is) So the ship follows your finger for 10 seconds as you avoid asteroids, then the game pauses for a moment - resets your ship in a new location, and a small blackhole appears, out pops a clone of your ship and it will fly the exact path you traced.

Now you're back in control of your ship after a short countdown, and you must avoid the clone ship, this repeats every 10 seconds.
09-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh.... I thought that you would have some ships following a predrawn route, and then you would have another new ship that you would have to draw a route with, while the other ships were still having to follow their routes....

09-15-2009, 06:10 PM
This game cries out for a video.
09-15-2009, 06:23 PM
TimeFold gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Oh.... I thought that you would have some ships following a predrawn route, and then you would have another new ship that you would have to draw a route with, while the other ships were still having to follow their routes....
Yes, it's actually not a line drawing game--sorry for the confusion. We did experiment with implementing it as line-drawing, but preferred this scheme as it felt more active and suitable for this particular game.

You have constant control of your current ship--it aims to follow your finger location, but is limited by it's "spaceship physics" (it fishtails a bit).

Each ship "life" records, and when your new ship spawns, an old ghost ship(s) follows your previous movements.

The core of the gameplay is in trying to set up your early ships to have safe predictable paths, and then avoid them with your later ships.

I will get a video posted ASAP--hope you give the game a try!

--Tyler Sigman
Big Sandwich Games
09-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSandwichGames View Post
Yes, it's actually not a line drawing game--sorry for the confusion. We did experiment with implementing it as line-drawing, but preferred this scheme as it felt more active and suitable for this particular game.

You have constant control of your current ship--it aims to follow your finger location, but is limited by it's "spaceship physics" (it fishtails a bit).

Each ship "life" records, and when your new ship spawns, an old ghost ship(s) follows your previous movements.

The core of the gameplay is in trying to set up your early ships to have safe predictable paths, and then avoid them with your later ships.

I will get a video posted ASAP--hope you give the game a try!

--Tyler Sigman
Big Sandwich Games
I think I have a better understanding Tyler - I think that I will like this game, but a video would really be helpful... "A video is worth a thousand words.." Hey - a new saying!

09-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
I think I have a better understanding Tyler - I think that I will like this game, but a video would really be helpful... "A video is worth a thousand words.." Hey - a new saying!
A picture is worth a 1000 words. A video is (atleast) 24 pictures per second, so a video would be worth 24000 words per second. There, I blew apart your new saying.

Waiting for the 24000 words worth video
09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Seems pretty neat - but wouldn't the strategy become fairly plain, like just fly in circles, or direct all ships (one at a time, of course) fly in lines parallel to each other? Eventually you'd run out of room.

I bet this game gets pretty trippy once you've warped a number of times.
Hi drelbs!

Yes, there are definitely some preferred strategies (circles, lines), but part of the fun/challenge is in executing those strategies well. It can be challenging to do because of a few factors:
  • spawn location order changes each game (the locations at which your successive ships spawn)
  • asteroid placement and flight paths change each game
  • user skill and mistakes

The user mistakes item is, of course, a key mechanic in the game. Kind of like making a "whoops" in DoodleJump at a moment where you know you could've done better. In TimeFold, you can make a "whoops" with one ship, and then you are challenged to avoid that whoops for all the future ships, which can be fun.

As far as the preferred strategies go, I've found that I've switched back and forth between circles, flying in lines shortwise, and flying in lines lengthwise. In pursuit of a higher score!!

Best,

--Tyler Sigman
Big Sandwich Games