★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: MT2W Ltd.
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 4.4 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: In the ancient Japan six ninja apprentices fight an epic battle, but only one of them can earn the honor to be the next Shuriken Master. Chose your hero and guide him to victory. Throw and catch shurikens with lightning speed to be the chosen one.

Fight in two different Single Player modes with three difficulty levels. Arcade mode for longer fights or Survival mode for a faster but deadlier game experience.

Challenge your friends with the unique Multi Player mode. You only need one device, one app and four fast fingers to play. In Multi Player mode the different characters get unique special abilities. Try each and every one of them, as well as the customizable matches.

Good luck and have fun!

mikabast's comments:
Our new game called Shuriken Duel has been released.

/////////////////////////////

Edit: Gameplay video from the upcoming update. The video shows the new single player game mode:

Youtube link | Pop Up

/////////////////////////////

Gameplay videos:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Also visit our website...
09-15-2009, 04:45 PM
TOFTTing...

09-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Hmmm, a guess I'm the only member of this particular team!

Anyway, not bad. Basically you toss shuriken across the length of the screen with the objective of getting them past your opponent. Think of it as a unique spin on air hockey.

I'm not really good at this kind of thing. While I'm just being honest, I feel bad about bashing someones hard work. Im hoping you appreciate constructive critisism and take it such. So here goes...

While I really like the concept and the artwork, there a quite a few things that detract from the overall enjoyment of it. For one, the manner in which you throw the stars. Before I even get that, I'd like to comment on the sensitivity of the touch controls. They are very accurate and intuitive, but they require too much pressure to activate IMO. I was missing many of the enemies attacks when I first started and thought that the controls were horribly inacurate. Then I realized it wasn't the placement of my fingers, but the pressure applied to the screen. I'm not saying you have to jam your finger down, but you definitely need a firm tap for it to register. Maybe this is what you were aiming for, but I feel it hinders the gameplay.

Anyway, back to throwing. I like that you can throw multiple stars at a time, but having to wait for each of them to charge can be pretty frustrating especially in the later levels. Enemies are constantly throwing their shurinken and you need to take your fingers off the screen to block them thus letting go of your own prematurly and losing the charge. I think that if stars were thrown simply by swiping in the direction you wanted with quicker swipe motions determining their speed, this game could be infintely better and much more frantic.

Now, I can see how your method can make for a more strategic sort of game experience rather than one based solely on reaction time, but there's a serious hole in that logic. Normally one would think that trying to hit the enemy while attempting to deflect incoming attacks would lead to frantic gameplay. It could, except that this can be circumvented simply by taking a "dodge ball" mentality. In short, you can just sit back and block until the AI runs out of their shurinken, then when you have them all, you can take all the time in the world to attack counterattack. You can even play it out more dirty and wait for clouds to appear in order to guarantee a successful hit.

There are other areas of the game I think could be improved upon as well.

-Yours and your opponents shuriken need to be two different colors. It doesn't make it challenging that they are both yellow, just confusing.

-Vary the backround images. I'm digging the art style, you obviously have the tallent. You should showcase it here.

-The music doesn't really fit the theme of the game. This is minor nitpik, but I figure I might as well go all in here.

-Character designs are really cool, but the only time you see them is on the select screen. You should have some representation of them in game. What if when you were charging up stars as the "Bear" lets say, paws would appear on your side of the screen? Or maybe you could integrate them into the*background.

-MORE POWER UPS! the cloud idea is perfect, but you need to make it more interesting! Vary the frequency, include more "items", maybe have a freeze mode or become unblockable for a short time.*

-Scoring. There isn't any. There's nothing to acheive, unlock, or play towards. You just defeat 6 characters and get a screen that says "VICTORY". Boring.*

I haven't played 2 player yet, and I think that's where this game will shine, but single player just isn't engaging enough to continue. Fact of the matter is, I beat your AI on the hardest difficulty on the second try.

I know this sounds like i hated the game, but I honestly didn't. I wouldn't have bothered taking 10 mins of my life writing this if I did. I simply would have told you so. In fact, I think the game has great potential! The concept is unique, the artwork is great, and while it doesn't seem like it, I had fun playing through it the first time. Problem is, I have no reason to play it a second.

Last edited by KSC; 09-15-2009 at 06:44 PM.
09-29-2009, 03:39 PM
For this game, There are two Single Player modes: Arcade and Survival.

Arcade mode lets you go through and face all of the opponents in the game. You are given three rounds and have to win two of them to win the fight against your oppponent.
You are given a specific number of shuriken, but you can catch your opponents shuriken to replenish the number of shuriken that you have. After each round, your health and number of shuriken is replenished.
In Survival mode, you face all of the opponents in the game, but your health doesnt refill after each round.

In Multiplayer you can choose from quick game or custom game.
In custom game you can define how many rounds there will be, your starting health, the number of shuriken you start with, if you can specials enabled, and if you want smoke enabled.

I think single player falls a little short of being a true game because it is basically just the computer randomly catching your shuriken. Its not like the computer has to get in position to block one of your attacks or have to stop attacking to block your attacks.

But multiplayer is where this game shines. You and a friend can go at it, tossing shuriken at each other and seeing who will get hit the most first and who can catch the others shurikens better.

For controls you can slide your finger left and right to move your shuriken left and right. You hold your finger down on the screen to charge the throwing power. Once you have the speed you want, you just release the shuriken by lifting your finger from the screen.
If your shuriken makes it off the other side of the screen, you have successfully hit the other person with a shuriken.
To catch a shuriken you just need to tap on it.
Shuriken that are caught become ammo for the person that caught them.

Nothing really special graphics wise, but It does look nice and I like the icon too.

If I was to recommend this, It would be for the multiplayer. I could also say that this is one of the few multiplayer on one device game that is available.

"The previous Dead Trigger thread was the most reported thread in the TouchArcade forum's history." - Eli Hodapp
09-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Initial Impressions

Not sure what I can say beyond what's been posted above, but the game is fun with two people. Against the computer is kinda boring.

One thing to note: you tap and hold to add power, don't flick! Is a little different than I was expecting the first time I played it.

Also, I really like the background art, I think if the stars/icons were shaded a bit to match the style, it would look a bit more polished. (Don't match the colors too much or they won't stand out! One idea might be to have a stealth mode with transparent star outlines that are hard to see...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
One idea might be to have a stealth mode with transparent star outlines that are hard to see...)
Drelbs, I think that there is something like that in the game already.
but Its not a mode, its just a temporary bonus.

I forgot to mention the smoke bonuses in my post. There are a few different bonuses, but I dont know what all of them do.

If you throw a shuriken through the smoke, you get a small bonus.

One of the bonuses makes the shuriken that you threw transparent and I think that another bonus temporary covers your opponents side of the game so that they cant see the shurikens at all.

"The previous Dead Trigger thread was the most reported thread in the TouchArcade forum's history." - Eli Hodapp
09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSkill View Post
Drelbs, I think that there is something like that in the game already.
but Its not a mode, its just a temporary bonus.
Cool, I'll go back and take a look!

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Cool, I'll go back and take a look!
Just in case I wasnt clear,
By temporary, I meant that it only last for that one shuriken.
That would be the shuriken that went through the smoke.

It doesnt continue to a second shuriken, and the other bonuses last for about that long as well.

09-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSkill View Post
Just in case I wasnt clear,
By temporary, I meant that it only last for that one shuriken.
That would be the shuriken that went through the smoke.

It doesnt continue to a second shuriken, and the other bonuses last for about that long as well.
Yup, I understood ya loud and clear.

It's like ol' Link shooting an arrow through a torch, which then catches on fire...

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the reviews guys, good to hear that you like the multiplayer mode.

Quote:
(...)One idea might be to have a stealth mode with transparent star outlines that are hard to see(...)
The black dressed ninja character has that ability in multiplayer mode. Just start a mirror match selecting that character...

SPOILER HERE:
In the new game mode that comes with 1.1 the computer will use some dirty tricks against you, one of them is that he throws stealthy shurikens..