★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: AppStore Should Force Review Re-Writes After MAJOR Game Updates

12-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
AppStore Should Force Review Re-Writes After MAJOR Game Updates

Do you agree?

It's kinda sad apps are FOREVER brought down if it lacks a feature or two on its first release then when a major update comes in... the dev and the game are forced to deal with it.

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
12-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Great idea. I think apple should also force us to re-pay for apps after MAJOR updates. That way the developers can make some extra cash...

12-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
Great idea. I think apple should also force us to re-pay for apps after MAJOR updates. That way the developers can make some extra cash...
i like this idea better

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
12-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Quote:
I knew I liked you.
12-19-2008, 01:01 AM
I would be okay with Apple 'forcing' a pay after major updates if I didn't think developers would abuse that. IF the first version is 'camera-ready' as it were, then fine. But a lot of times, it isn't. I'll give you an example, I bought an app that was supposed to have bus scheduels for my entire city, and there were lots of glowing reviews for it. Then I downloaded it and the two routes I use were not in it yet. I gave it a review explaining this (i.e. that the usefulness of the app was dependent on whhether your preferred routes were included, mine were not, therefore the app is not useful to me) and the developer emailed me all upset with my 'bad' review. He has since released updates which he describes as 'adding or correcting over 100 route' which by your criteria I suppose would be major and you think I should have to pay again) and guess what, my route is STILL not in there and I still cannot use the app.

So no, I do not think Apple should 'force' paying customers to perform free labour (i.e. update/correct a review) for a voluntary thing they did relating to merchandise they have paid for. And I don't think developers should be off the hook for maintaining free support for said paid-for merchandise. *If* the app is so substantially changed that the developer feels it is worth people paying for again, they are free to release it as a separate app, I suppose. But I personally will not pay again for an app I already have, and I know I am not the only one. A few of us blasted the Quadrum guy when he abandoned one of his apps saying that he was going to re-do it and charge people again for it instead of updating the app he already had. That to me is bad business because he is abandoning the customers who have already shown support for him in exchange for maybe getting new customers. I think there needs to be a proper balance. I think it is up to customers to pay for the apps they use, but it is up to developers too to do good business and *earn* the loyalty rather than relying on Apple to force it.
12-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Do you agree?

It's kinda sad apps are FOREVER brought down if it lacks a feature or two on its first release then when a major update comes in... the dev and the game are forced to deal with it.
Here's a better idea: how about developers actually release COMPLETE, tested games?
12-19-2008, 01:03 AM
I'd be okay with paying for major updates, if they are really major updates. by that I mean "Version 1" updated to "Version 2." And I mean major like "Mario version 1" to "Mario 2."

Maybe not that drastic, but you get the idea.

For instance, if something like X-Plane adds all the maps from their new versions into their first one. I'd be willing to pay for an upgrade that large... I just really hope I'm not giving them ideas...

Edit:
On second thought, I wouldn't be okay with that. This is one of those ideas that sounds good at first, but really sucks when you think about it.
Devs would definitely abuse it, no matter what rules they set. We'd all be either paying unknown amounts to get full versions, or we'd be stuck with crappy not full featured versions because we won't pay.

Last edited by NotYou; 12-19-2008 at 01:09 AM.
12-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Wait, what? You guys actually thought I was serious? I was just responding to a crazy idea with an even more insane idea. Like hell I'd pay for an update or re-write a review...
12-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Wait, what? You guys actually thought I was serious? I was just responding to a crazy idea with an even more insane idea. Like hell I'd pay for an update or re-write a review...
*weep* You mean...no extra cash? *weep*
12-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
*weep* You mean...no extra cash? *weep*
Like you need any. LWB: proof that you don't need to pay for updates for a developer to make some major cash. Now go work on that other game you've been working on, Bear...