★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Star Drift is an exciting evolution of the horizontally-scrolling shoot-em-up. Inspired by classic arcade games, it features an original David Wise soundtrack, vibrant neon styled graphics, spectacular particle explosions and a deceptively easy to play, one-button control scheme. Star Drift will remind you why the 80's were so much fun!

"a space shooter for the mobile age" - Pocket Gamer

* Procedurally generated gameplay
* Easy to play, one-button control scheme
* Soundtrack by renowned composer, David Wise (Donkey Kong Country)
* Full Game Center integration

Can you beat the Anomaly?

Thanks for playing, we hope you enjoy the game. If you have any questions, or just want to say hi, please get in touch with us at support@squareheadstudios.co.uk. Wed love to hear from you!
02-24-2015, 11:22 AM
i've got a code from devs (thanks a lot again) for this one and what can i say... this game is REALLY GREAT!!!

a shmup with "tap to fly" system? works really good, but imo the best idea is that virus attacking our ship systems, i love it... kudos for the game pals, really well done!

02-24-2015, 07:45 PM
As mentioned above it's a shmup with "tap to fly" system. The graphics are stellar (no pun intended). There's lots of power ups to add depth. It's definitely among top of its class.

Last edited by klink; 02-24-2015 at 07:49 PM.
02-24-2015, 10:31 PM
Oops, duh.... Wrong thread....

Last edited by Valentia; 02-24-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
02-25-2015, 02:02 AM
are there different ships/ weapons unlockable by coins etc?
02-25-2015, 06:59 AM
You collect credits as you fly along (either directly or using a traction field upgrade). You can then trade them for upgrades at the end of each sector, or keep hold of some to continue the game after you crash. (Note: the credits are not iaps, just an in-game feature)
02-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Well there's not too many paid games that interests me this Wednesday so I'm definitely picking this one up.

I love a good shmup and this looks to be more than just the standard fare. Impressions are good, it's cheap and it looks great. Can't ask for much more!
02-25-2015, 07:10 AM
Thanks Pete, I appreciate the support. Let me know how you get on with it, feedback is always welcome.
02-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by klink View Post
As mentioned above it's a shmup with "tap to fly" system. The graphics are stellar (no pun intended). There's lots of power ups to add depth. It's definitely among top of its class.
To be more precise with "tap to fly", it's a flappy style but not such a shaky one. Here you can easily manoeuvre through very narrow gaps, and the ship (only one) has a nice weight to it.
The graphics are nice, but i'd like to see an option to get rid of the seen grid. Any reason why we see/need it ?

The risk-reward system is nicely done and ads some depth to this shmup. Save the money for a continue or power up the fire rate/spread/magnet etc. ? Not upgrading may result in losing your multiplier if you get hit. The basic given shooting rate at start is very slow, so i prefere to uprade this first, specially when going for highscore in Gamecenter.
I repeat what the Dev said: NO iap for pay to win, only in-game credits for continues.

The screen orientation works only before you start a new game, not in-game anymore. I can live with that.

Some may like the music, but for once, i do not at all, doesn't fit MY space feeling. At some point, i always think of Beverly Hills Cop (80'/90' synthy film music, aaarrrggghh) Unfortunatelly there is no seperate sound/sfx toggle at all, actually none.

For a buck i would recommend it.

Edit: @Dev
Sometimes the Virus pulls off a big explosion and i still can't figure out how to do it. Can i pull it of on purpose ? Maybe put the answer in spoilers for the others, in case they want to find out for themselves.
02-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

The grid is in the background to show off the explosions / pickup collection / damage effects etc. with a subtle lighting effect. It's purely an aesthetic choice and so it's possible that there could be a toggle for it in future builds.

I'll also consider adding options to turn the music off and/or adjust relative volumes.

To Use a Virus:
To implode a virus (turn it into a smart bomb), you just need to fly straight and level. You should hear a beeping sound that builds in intensity and notice that the virus timer is starting to pulse. Hold steady for a short period and the virus will implode, killing everything in sight and restoring your weapons. Hopefully, this mechanic will give you some interesting choices to make later on in the game.