A question for beer drinkers.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    But first a preface.

I have a case of beer in my garage that I will never drink, as I don't drink beer. It was leftover from a party at my house 6 weeks ago. It has been kept cold. The brand is Rolling Rock. ( Made locally, and locally popular )

My wife is going away to "girl's weekend" this week and she was asked to bring a case of beer. I told her to take the case from the garage. She said there was no point in taking it because the women "only drink Miller Lite". I said that was a bunch of BS, and that beer drinkers will drink "most" anything if that is the only beer available.... especially if what they prefer is some garbage "light beer".

Really, I guess my point is that I am pissed that she wants to spend $25 on Miller Lite, when we have a brand new case of Rolling Rock that will just go to waste.

I should say I drink very little beer.... maybe 2 quarts a year, but if I do drink it, I usually buy something really expensive and different than the $25 a case stuff.

2. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Home brew IPA. ��.
    Seriously though, Rolling Rock is just fine for women to drink, and would be preferred by our friends over a Lite... That said, maybe she knows her friends won't drink it? Different regions/groups sometimes have different preferences. How about a compromise and get a couple 6s of Lite... Then see which the group really prefers... ��

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #3 bigrand1, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    As a well-experienced and seasoned beer drinker, I know people have vastly different tastes when it comes to their favorite beverage. Personally, I enjoy a good Double IPA! Hoptimum IPA is only seasonal here, so me and this other guy buy up all that's available for the couple of weeks it becomes available in our entire area. About 8.9% alcohol content. Heh-heh! We call the company ahead to make sure we get it! We break loose and ration it slowly amongst our buddies, (if they're lucky)! If someone really likes a certain type, that's what they want, and won't settle for less! So basically, I wouldn't take offense if someone wants a certain kind. I understand and would say go ahead and get what you guys like! As for the case in your fridge, I'm sure you can find takers for that! If not it should last for some time as long as it's refrigerated, right? Or, just break it out at your next party! My personal motto is 'life's too short to drink cheap beer'.

4. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Actually it is double IPA we brewed :). Yes, Hoptimum is awesome.

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Me and my friends drink a certain brand when we get together, so if I was asked to bring some drink then I'd know it meant our specific brand. My tastes differ to my husbands but he would never insist or get pissed off with me for buying the drink I like and not wanting to take something I didn't want nor ask for. Your wife knows her friends so what would be the point in her taking something she knows won't get used? If the case if beer going to waste is a concern the Why doesn't she buy the beer they know they will drink and also take the case with her, even if none of her friends drink they will know someone who will and can take it for them.

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've tried IPA's and to be honest I don't really get the fuss about them, maybe I've got a common taste but I myself usually drink mostly Carlsberg or John Smiths Exta Smooth their relatively cheap and I like them.

Also a fan of some others common beers such as Kronenberg and Tuborg.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009

I've never heard of anybody complaining about free beer.

Seriously though, I'd rather enjoy a good bottle of beer than have 3-4 lousy ones. Taste is going to be completely different for everybody, which is why we have so many lovely variants of beer. :)

As for me, I prefer darker beers: stouts & porters. Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout, Black Butte Porter, Guinness... Though if I'm having sashimi, it's Sapporo all the way!

PS> It's not just a guy thing, I used to cream/pale ales until my wife started me on Guinness. ;)

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I hear ya! its definitely an acquired taste! Dry, bitter, hoppy, high alcohol content. It's not for everyone! I never used to like it, but now it's all I drink! I try all kinds of IPA's these days, much like someone would try different cigars or go wine tasting. I also enjoy a good cigar! I have connections, so a friend of mine scores boxes of Cubans for me when I want them! Now with our open relationship with Cuba I'll be able to get 'em easier (and cheaper) since they won't be seen as contraband here! Nothing like a good Cuban with my IPA! Got a group of friends who get together and drink home brew IPA and smoke stogies. No women allowed unless they smoke too! Yeah, yeah, yeah!! :D

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I feel like people who don't drink a lot of beer just looking for Miller Lite would be hard pressed to do a blind taste test between Miller Lite and Rolling Rock. (Rolling Rock is actually one of my favorite cheap beers!)

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    They drink the lite beer due to calories. IPAs with a reasonable alcohol content are very calorie heavy. Give the Rolling Rock to a neighbor or a friend at work.

11. Sienna Daniels

Feb 11, 2015
    Any lite beers would do the trick for women. I am not sure what is in it that has made it so special among us but drinking beer for us is equivalent to ordering the lite ones