★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "NetHack is a single player dungeon exploration game. Your goal is to grab as much treasure as you can, retrieve the Amulet of Yendor, and escape the Mazes of Menace alive."

--

iNethack2 is an iOS port of Nethack 3.4.3.
Original port in 2009 by Dirk Zimmermann which was called iNethack. Recently updated by Jeff King to work on modern devices, and renamed iNethack2.

iNethack2 features:
10 tilesets (including original ASCII mode)
Touchscreen gesture controls: swipe to pan, pinch to zoom
Customizable keyboard shortcut controls
Hearse (bones file sharing) integration
Works on iOS7+

Some facts about NetHack:
The first version of NetHack was released in 1987
NetHack was a roguelike before people used the term roguelike
You can play NetHack for years and still make new discoveries
NetHack is one of the greatest games of all time
02-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Nice! Lots of fond memories from the AMIGA days... Will I have a little white dog, too?

Now playing: Unworded, Aurora Puzzle Adventure, Steamworld Heist, PinOut!, Sproggiwood, Colorcube, kubic, Mekorama, Open Bar!
Waiting for: Any Star Realms expansion, Nyheim, Onirim

02-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Very nice game. This is the kinda game you can get lost in for hours. They don't make me like this anymore lol. On android DCSS remains my favorite. You can't even get it on the Playstore, the good version that is. If ta got Google and you wanna play DCSS (which is in the same group as this sexy beast of a game), type "Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup Trunk download". Goto the link and download the android version! Enable installs by third party developers and TADA a game that is brilliant!

Someone put DCSS on iOS. Or how bout Cataclysm DDA? I know know it would have to be completely rewritten...damn... What about DoomRL? The Tengine? I loveroguelikes! Real Rogue likes! Not them fakers! Ohhhhhh imagine Dwarven Fortress on you iPad?!?!? I bet it's impossible simply due to the code that behemoth probably has. Pastapazu! I got a boner, gonna play some sexyhack right now!
02-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone. I'm the developer of iNethack2. It's an update of the previous iNethack port of Nethack, which is no longer available nor functional with recent iOS versions.

Really Dirk Zimmermann is the real developer of 99.9% of this and I put in 0.1% to fix it up and add a few things, and get it available again.

If you are a fan of Nethack than you should love this. The original iNethack was my #1 played app for years and I couldn't live without it once it stopped working. Thus we have iNethack2!

Happy hacking.
02-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractgamefreak View Post
Nice! Lots of fond memories from the AMIGA days... Will I have a little white dog, too?
Dog, cat, or pony, depending on your class. :-)
02-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Revived at last! Rejoice! Put those games falsely claiming they are "roguelike" aside. The game of legends, direct descendant of "Rogue", not a bleak clone, is here.

Most of the modern day gamers haven't even heard about NetHack despite using the term "roguelike" freely, not knowing "Rogue" or the sequel. So basically it features:

- Top-down view turn based RPG(dungeon-crawling?) game, originally played with ASCII characters representing monsters, objects and structures(there are pixel art tilesets now).

-There are 13 classes(including the infamous Rogue)

-It uses a system akin to D&D 2nd e. ruleset with turn based actions. Each action in the game is also described to you by text as well as graphic.

-There are dozens and dozens of items, including spellbooks, scrolls, all kinds of arms and apparel, potions, artifacts.(But beware, they can be cursed. Identify first!)

-Class questlines unique to each one.

-Randomized dungeon rooms, gates and floors on each play and permanent death. (people call these features "roguelike")

-Shops and other NPC's.

-The ultimate goal is to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor for your character's deity.

-Unique references and humor! (Most are considered spoiler, so figure them yourself.)

-You can mostly do any absurd thing you can think of.

-This was the inspiration of Diablo game.

Puchline: If you like detailed RPGs or fantasy literature, play this game.

P.S. : It was the only app I kept on, all through iphone 1, 3G, 3GS, and now 4S eras. 6 soon

Last edited by Praymettin; 02-27-2015 at 03:05 PM.
02-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praymettin View Post
Revived at last! Rejoice! Put those games falsely claiming they are "roguelike" aside. The game of legends, direct descendant of "Rogue", not a bleak clone, is here.

Most of the modern day gamers haven't even heard about NetHack despite using the term "roguelike" freely, not knowing "Rogue" or the sequel. So basically it features:

- Top-down view turn based RPG(dungeon-crawling?) game, originally played with ASCII characters representing monsters, objects and structures(there are pixel art tilesets now).

-There are 13 classes(including the infamous Rogue)

-It uses a system akin to D&D 2nd e. ruleset with turn based actions. Each action in the game is also described to you by text as well as graphic.

-There are dozens and dozens of items, including spellbooks, scrolls, all kinds of arms and apparel, potions, artifacts.(But beware, they can be cursed. Identify first!)

-Class questlines unique to each one.

-Randomized dungeon rooms, gates and floors on each play and permanent death. (people call these features "roguelike")

-Shops and other NPC's.

-The ultimate goal is to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor for your character's deity.

-Unique references and humor! (Most are considered spoiler, so figure them yourself.)

-You can mostly do any absurd thing you can think of.

-This was the inspiration of Diablo game.

Puchline: If you like detailed RPGs or fantasy literature, play this game.

P.S. : It was the only app I kept on, all through iphone 1, 3G, 3GS, and now 4S eras. 6 soon
Well said! I should have had you write the app description.
02-27-2015, 04:50 PM
how do i turn on the non-ascii graphics?
02-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzarules View Post
how do i turn on the non-ascii graphics?
Inethack2 under system settings (i.e not in-app settings)
02-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akolade View Post
Dog, cat, or pony, depending on your class. :-)
Which class is the cat?