★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Official "The Mystery of the Mystery Creatures" Development Thread

09-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Official "The Mystery of the Mystery Creatures" Development Thread

Hey guys! This thread is to cover the development and any news regarding mine and jeonghyunhan's Pokemon-esque game. The previous thread can be found here.

We are still early in the process of development, but we would like to share news and art with you guys as we move along. And just note that the title of this thread is just a WORKING TITLE and I basically just made it up to name this thread something.

We are trying to make a game similar to pokemon, but different in tone and humor to make it our own. We also are changing the battle system a bit to make it simpler to play on the iPhone to differentiate our game from just a straight up pokemon ripoff. But most importantly: we are not Nintendo and couldn't live up to the real Pokemon even if we tried. But we hope it is fun and that you guys all enjoy it.

Just so you guys know, I am in charge of the art and jeonghyunhan is doing all the programming. We are both thinking up ideas for gameplay and writing it.

To start off this thread, here are two screenshots we are using to try and develop the look of the game. Note: THESE ARE NOT FINISHED. What you see in these screens are still in-progress. And hopefully they will look even better as we go along. But it'll give you a little taste.

I know iPhone gamers are incredibly impatient (I am guilty of this as well), but please be patient with us. We are only 2 guys and we are both full-time students, but we are doing our best to get this done. Hopefully this thread will help you guys with the wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	school.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	7577   Click image for larger version

Name:	forest.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	7578  
09-16-2009, 03:52 AM
it looks really good for an early version of the game

keep it up i cant wait to play this game when its finished !

09-16-2009, 04:49 AM
looks very good! keep on going

I'm German and anybody, who finds mistakes in my posts is allowed to keep them
09-16-2009, 05:30 AM
di u keep my idea about shadows?
09-16-2009, 06:02 AM
looks good for a testversion, but if you would release it like this, nobody would buy it.
I don't like the house and the character, but I like the trees very much
The mystery of the mystery creatures sounds a lil' bit .. say.. stupid?
How about replacing the second word with a different one?
I'd call it different, but it's your decision
my ideas would be:
Path of Blood: Akihito's Adventure
or something like
The Story of the endless Creation.
Or something like (no.2 )
The Path of Akihito
(I'd call the hero Akihito :P)

Last edited by Chronical; 09-16-2009 at 06:06 AM.
09-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronical View Post
looks good for a testversion, but if you would release it like this, nobody would buy it.
I don't like the house and the character, but I like the trees very much
The mystery of the mystery creatures sounds a lil' bit .. say.. stupid?
How about replacing the second word with a different one?
I'd call it different, but it's your decision
my ideas would be:
Path of Blood: Akihito's Adventure
or something like
The Story of the endless Creation.
Or something like (no.2 )
The Path of Akihito
(I'd call the hero Akihito :P)
he said that the name of the thread isnt the name of the actual game. he said he just made up the thread title so it could have a name instead of nothing
09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Looks promising. I had thought the graphics looked like that of a pokemon game even before I read your post.
09-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Call it something like iPhonemon!
Like the other one said, the house looks pretty fail. The character is OK, but he needs to get bigger. He's too small!!

$h!tG4m3 of the month: Eliminate.
(translation: Best game of the month)
09-16-2009, 09:33 AM
I've been following this from day one and I have to say that it's starting to look great. You guys should also use the Twitter more often.

Drunk Stowaway on the Front page Tugboat! Join Here!
Beta Tested: Parallelus, Koala Dartz, Never ending Defending, Golden Sun, Secret app (x2), Earth Vs. Moon, Somba app, Copa! Shameless copying of Kamazar's Sig
iFallout Incident 09/ THE SEARCH FOR THE WATER FILTER! EPIC!/The Craigslist Event
09-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Well as he said, its a work in progress, so the house really doesn't seem to be an issue. It looks pretty good. As someone posted before the trees look great, a few other visual touches would most likely be tweaked for a final release so I won't worry about commenting on those. Good Job.