Unreal Engine now free

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by meejahor, Mar 2, 2015.

1. meejahor

meejahor Member

Oct 5, 2014
    News photographer
    There's some very exciting news today, with Unreal Engine now completely free, subject to a 5% cut of gross profits if your app makes over $3k. It's available for PC and Mac, with source available for Linux. This will be a serious challenge to Unity as the free version of Unity lacks some advanced features, especially lighting, whereas Unreal Engine is unrestricted.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ue4-is-free

There's a guide here for current Unity developers, explaining how to migrate from Unity to Unreal Editor:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/FromUnity/index.html

I'm 3 days in to development of a new iPhone game in Unity, but I'm going to experiment with UE tomorrow to see if it's worth switching. I dearly love Unity, it's a real joy to work with, but more and more I find myself writing complex shaders and scripts just to create visual effects that are built in to the engine but locked out of the free version. And I have no problem with Unity doing that, it's perfectly fair and I thank them for giving us the free version. But if a rival is going to offer a product as substantial as UE, feature-complete and free, then I'm certainly interested.

2. meejahor

meejahor Member

Oct 5, 2014
    News photographer
    I've spent the evening with UE and I'm running back to Unity. I don't know about the PC version but the Mac version isn't ready for primetime yet. I know it's quite new so hopefully they'll work on it some more. A lot more.

Currently, nearly everything fails. Create an empty project and add a Player Controller... fail. Plus this is personal taste but the viewport camera controls are utterly awful. Keep in mind that I use Unity and Blender every day, two apps that are known for their poor viewport controls, and I get on just fine with those. UE's controls are so bad that they even have one way of zooming the camera in 2D viewports and a different way in 3D viewports.

Oh and the W, E and R keys for move, rotate and scale, sometimes work and sometimes don't. The quad view doesn't track mouse movements so to switch from one view to another you have to either left-click (which can mess with your selection) or right-click (which brings up a menu that you have to dismiss).

I could go on... But, bottom line, I didn't like using UE at all. Unity is wonderful in its own right, but compared to UE it is beyond words. UE is an over-engineered mess that doesn't work.

All of this is on Mac remember. I'm sure the PC version will work a lot better.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Unity5 released and free to all. All features available to everyone.

4. meejahor

meejahor Member

Oct 5, 2014
    News photographer
    Yeah I watched the live announcement earlier. Makes the UE4 release redundant in my opinion, for Mac users anyway, who have what seems to be an alpha version of it that crashes all the time. Unity is a million times nicer to work with, and with the price point for pro features now dropping to a very attractive $0 it's a no-brainer. Can't wait to finish up my current project and get started with something in Unity 5!! :)

5. Hafiz Pon

Hafiz Pon Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    contract worker during the day, thinking game idea
    i'm sticking with unity

6. kostyan

kostyan New Member

Mar 10, 2015
    I not great expirience in UE, but for 2d games unity looks better for me

7. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes, not really even close for 2D.

8. MrBIR (Pavel Ilyenko)

Mar 17, 2015
    This a great news, now and Unity almost free)