★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Using company name in App Store

03-02-2015, 06:37 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 21
Using company name in App Store

I'm getting ready to submit my first app to Apple for review but I am registered as an individual developer, not a company. It looks like Apple displays your legal name in the App Store instead of your company name when you are registered as an individual (this must really suck for people with common names).

This sucks because I will be launching the same apps on Android under my company name and for small developers like me, building brand recognition is very important. Is there any way to use my company name in the App Store without messing up my payment information and without having to upgrade my developer account?

For example, could I use my display name as:

Fist name: Lost City

Last name: GameZ

Thanks for the help
03-02-2015, 09:34 PM
#2
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Under a Raincloud
Posts: 102
Unless things have changed recently, I don't think so. If you want to use a company name, you have to have a company developer account.

You can still put your company name in the app description and/or the keyword search tags, but the seller/publisher name will be your legal name.

03-03-2015, 12:11 AM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbSnail View Post
Unless things have changed recently, I don't think so. If you want to use a company name, you have to have a company developer account.

You can still put your company name in the app description and/or the keyword search tags, but the seller/publisher name will be your legal name.
I'm just commenting to confirm this. Yes Thumbsnail you are right. You must have a registered business and you must have valid DUNS numbers. A sole proprietorship will still display your legal name as well. Your entity must be a corporation or LLC if you wish to display a business name as opposed to a personal legal name. They do not accept DBAs. Hope this helps clarify.
03-03-2015, 04:22 AM
#4
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 168
I wonder if you changed your name by deed pole, like Mr Volkswagen Beatle did. Though you would then be know as "Lost".

Well I posted because things never used to be like this. When I first registered on Apple store, we were a company name. Then one day my account was renamed without my permission ;p
03-03-2015, 04:51 AM
#5
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,656
Surely its not fair if you do that (have your name as basically your game). Other people set up company accounts, wont be fair for them if people try and get round that so they dont have to upgrade
03-04-2015, 12:36 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 168
I don't think it would be fair even though the correct way of doing things is way out of reach for the vast majority.
03-05-2015, 06:52 AM
#7
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Appstores
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostcitygamez View Post
I

This sucks because I will be launching the same apps on Android under my company name and for small developers like me, building brand recognition is very important.
A brand can also be your seller name or the apps you made.

If you can afford the company reg. in your country do it. Otherwise publish as Individual
03-10-2015, 09:45 AM
#8
As an individual, you can use any name in Google play market, but you can't do that in iOS market.

I am a Game makes fun games.
Twitter | Crevice Hero | TapSpace
03-11-2015, 05:38 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Under a Raincloud
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamagame View Post
As an individual, you can use any name in Google play market, but you can't do that in iOS market.
@iamagame or anyone who knows:

I had read where Google requires you to publicly list your address if you're selling a paid app in the Google Play Store. Do they also require that if you only have free apps?
03-11-2015, 06:20 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbSnail View Post
@iamagame or anyone who knows:

I had read where Google requires you to publicly list your address if you're selling a paid app in the Google Play Store. Do they also require that if you only have free apps?
That information is readily available online but I will answer it for you

You are required to publicly list your address if you sell paid apps or in app purchases. So if you have a free app with in app purchases then yes you must list the address. If it's free with no in apps then you are not required to list the address.