★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Travel to the Edo period in Japan and help Satsu and Miyamoto in an epic adventure to preserve ancient Japan.
Prove your skills in Challenge mode with limited moves or relax, playing with unlimited modes.
Experience the excitement of building an ancient Japanese village in this engaging Match 3 game.
See the beautiful scenery while listening to relaxing music inspired by this period in Japanese history.
Dive into an epic story of honor and courage and help a Geisha and a Samurai save the day in Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun!

- Rebuild the ancient Japanese village.
- Choose from 3 favorite game modes: Swap, Pop, or Chain.
- Strategically rotate the board to move pieces and make matches.
- Enjoy 100 unique levels of challenging gameplay.
03-03-2015, 07:23 AM
This is an outstanding casual match game. I discovered it via a pc bundle that included it, and after a few minutes of play decided to double-dip and grab the iPad version so I could play it on the couch and in bed.

It's main gimmick is that it lets you choose whether to play each stage with bejewelled, chain match (Azada?) or 'pop' (block quest) mechanics.

The stages have all the by now standard adventure-style match game trimmings... Frozen blocks, power ups, goal blocks and so on.

The stage can also be rotated by 90 degrees at a time if you want to let gravity mix things up for you.

Play can be either in relaxed mode or with a turn limit to clear the stage, at the player's discretion.

In between levels there's a framing game about building a village (shades of heroes of Kalevala) that's mostly fluff but serves to drive goals and level progression.

Production values are on the higher end of what's usually seen in the genre. There are nice cut scenes and voice work. The story is paper-thin, but unobtrusive.

Highly recommended. Free to try with a single iap to unlock all levels.
03-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Looks like something my wife will adore. Will give it a try as well. Thx for the heads up.