★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Motocross Challenge = Excitebike?

12-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Motocross Challenge = Excitebike?

Anyone played this?
How does it compare to Excitebike?

Full Appstore link:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300247765&mt=8
12-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller ONE View Post
Anyone played this?

Full Appstore link:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=300247765&mt=8
good question, I checked the screenshots out and didn't see any ramps. They are listed in the description, however I doubt it. Excitebike 2 ( with the level editor?) now I'd pay 10 bucks for an accelerometer/touch version of that!!!! Cheesy graphics and sound intact!

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

12-19-2008, 05:47 AM
My bad there is one ramp in the screenshots.

I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
12-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Excitebike is actually the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this game. Can't wait to see some reviews or gameplay vids to see if they really are similar
12-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Add me to the list. If this is anything like Excitebike, I'm there.
12-19-2008, 06:45 AM
First Impressions

There is a video at the developer's site.

The initial impression of Excite Bike is understandable, but the gameplay elements look a little different. The environments in this game are much more varied, and there doesn't seem to be an element of overheating here.

It looks like your goal in the game is to keep the balance of your bike, so that you don't crash. You do this by adjusting your speed and your tilt. In this regard, I think the fairer comparison is with Bike or Die. And it seems you can go at your own pace, since the clock is counting up, not down.

The graphics look decent enough, and it seems to animate nicely. But there seems, to me, to be a strange disconnect between the rendered foreground elements, and the more realistic backgrounds. To my eye, it seems an odd design decision to use such varying styles together.

All this is just from the video, though. The game looks fun, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
12-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Man, I'm not usu. On here this early(6:50am est) but this seems a higher caliber of users than the brood on here over night.

HKornfield, I knew something about this felt weird I couldn't put my finger on it, good description "disconnected".

I'm not saying this game isn't quality and I immediately drew the BoD 2 comparison.

12-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Send a message via AIM to Kuratsu Send a message via MSN to Kuratsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller ONE View Post
Anyone played this?

Full Appstore link:
Well first off I wouldn't necessarily compare it to excitebike. After reading the description of the game and watching the video this GREATLY reminds me of Motocross Maniacs for the Gameboy.

Youtube link | Pop Up

The description I read of Motocross describes "N" boxes that act as nitro. This is clearly demonstrated in Motocross Maniacs.

"While boxes and seesaws for instance need to be avoided or crossed with care, canisters, labeled with 'N' can be picked up by riding right through them. The 'N' is for 'Nitro', and Nitro may give you the essential extra boost to jump that final canyon towards the end of a level."

I believe there were two sequels, one for GBC and one for GBA.

If this is indeed anything like Motocross Maniacs this may have decent replayability as I spent many a day playing this when I was younger, and actually took it to college with me as it still provides quite a bit of entertainment for me.

However if this is not like Motocross Maniacs I would hope that Motocross Maniacs or something similar makes it to iPhone/iPod Touch platform.

Last edited by Kuratsu; 12-19-2008 at 07:45 AM.
12-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Speaking of Motocross Maniacs, there was a similar game called Motocross Challenge developed by DHG Games for the GBA. It wasn't an official sequel or anything, but it played similar. And apparently, they couldn't find a publisher willing to make it, due in large part to the DS and the flagging GBA sales. So they released it into the wild free of charge.

They used to host the ROM on their website, but it looks like they've pulled it now that they're releasing an updated version for the DS.

Here's a vid from that one:

Youtube link | Pop Up

And here's a vid from the upcoming DS version:

Youtube link | Pop Up
12-19-2008, 09:22 AM
looks preety good