★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gameloft

03-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Gameloft

I've only been an iOS gamer for 2 years, but I've been playing on cell phones since '05. I was looking for an article on a gameloft game and saw that TA had record of just about every gameloft release on the AppStore. Most of the games I noticed were "premium" priced, and had tons of price drops ( I'm guessing from poor sales), and it made me think:

As much heat as gameloft has been taking for the past few years, it seems like they really did try to do full games. I remember playing their games on flip phones, and they had some of the best games avaliable. This goes for Glu, Digital Chocolate, and a host of others.

I remember a time when all games were around $3-$6, and that was okay- and those games had no where near as much work put into them.

TL;DR Gameloft tried and failed, and now they're trying their best to maintain in the mobile market. Give them some slack.

Last edited by Based Xatu; 03-15-2015 at 01:30 AM.
03-06-2015, 08:51 PM
The problem isn't them not doing well, its making apps rather than games. After all this is a iOS gaming site and while their game do work for many people, for the people reading and commenting on this site, what Gameloft is outputting aren't games but interactive apps. Granted recently they have been releasing some okay games like BIA 3, Modern Combat 5, and Asphalt 8. Honestly I haven't cared too much as there will always be another game company to replace the niches that Gameloft left open with the transition from premium to freemium games or another company to properly implement freemium aspects. Many people want to see the Gameloft of old which was known to be very innovative in the early days of iOS. What they'll bring to the future will be interesting as they experiment with the upcoming year testing freemium components (always online, multiple currency, etc which they technically started sometime mid-last year).

Last edited by RoboWarrior; 03-06-2015 at 08:54 PM.

03-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboWarrior View Post
The problem isn't them not doing well, its making apps rather than games. After all this is a iOS gaming site and while their game do work for many people, for the people reading and commenting on this site, what Gameloft is outputting aren't games but interactive apps. Granted recently they have been releasing some okay games like BIA 3, Modern Combat 5, and Asphalt 8. Honestly I haven't cared too much as there will always be another game company to replace the niches that Gameloft left open with the transition from premium to freemium games or another company to properly implement freemium aspects. Many people want to see the Gameloft of old which was known to be very innovative in the early days of iOS. What they'll bring to the future will be interesting as they experiment with the upcoming year testing freemium components (always online, multiple currency, etc which they technically started sometime mid-last year).

The good ol' Asphalt 5 days, when I didn't even know what Apple was or if I did I didn't care.

That was back before the developer mentality to release games unfinished and update them/make them better as they go along.
03-07-2015, 01:20 AM
Is it Gameloft's fault that this is what the market requires? That people would rather spend hundreds of dollars on a free game, than spend $5-$15 on a full game? As far as I can see, they really tried to stay with making full games, but when you're trying to run a company and you're not making enough sales, you sometimes trade your initial goals and ideas in.
03-07-2015, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Xatu View Post
Is it Gameloft's fault that this is what the market requires? That people would rather spend hundreds of dollars on a free game, than spend $5-$15 on a full game? As far as I can see, they really tried to stay with making full games, but when you're trying to run a company and you're not making enough sales, you sometimes trade your initial goals and ideas in.
Or rather, gameloft saw the opportunity that they can earn a lot more with freemium titles with unlimited purchasing potential, and took advantage of it.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
03-07-2015, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Or rather, gameloft saw the opportunity that they can earn a lot more with freemium titles with unlimited purchasing potential, and took advantage of it.
No they didn't.
And your statement really is just a typical demonstration of the angry iap/freemium/gamer mentality that seems to be flourishing around here without actually looking at the facts of the matter.
Typical "anti" Gameloft rhetoric without any degree of understanding of how supportive of premium Gameloft truly has been. And still is on the inside.

Xatu is 100% correct in both of his posts and has clearly looked at their history and come to the exact right conclusion.

Gameloft was the very last top developer to hold out on switching to freemium, the very last one.
Industry "people" were commenting for years as to why Gameloft was holding on to the premium model when it was clear that the freemium model was where the margin is.
While people on here were complaining about iap, everybody was "advising" Gameloft seniors to change the company strategy away from the premium games they were releasing. Even when the iap was inconsequential.
While Glu/King/whoever was raking it in with freemium iap filled titles, Gameloft was releasing MC2, MC3, MC4, NOVA 2 and NOVA 3 (and a multitude of others) at premium prices with inconsequential iap.

And even with all that advice, industry commentators, internet "commentators", shareholders and numerous other vested interests pushing them towards a freemium model, they still resisted it and stuck with premium far longer than they should have.
Despicable Me was their first true balanced freemium title that saw success. Everything else was just an experiment or an attempt at adaption to try and make it work. And even while that game was performing extremely well financially, they still soldiered on with premium releases.

That much would even be clear today as they are still trying to find a fair balance in the freemium model and have experimented greatly with it which has led to some success and some failures simply down to their inexperience with the model.

The freemium model is one they still resist to this very day. It's something that causes quite a lot of "discussion" internally and if there was any indicators that people would actually support a premium model, Gameloft would be only delighted to switch back to it, but the fact is, there is no indicators at all that people will support a premium model enough for a company like Gameloft to keep paying it's employees and taxes.

I could give even more detail but I'm not going to waste my time on what would ultimately be a failed attempt to enlighten the opinioned uninformed but no, they didn't see an opportunity to take advantage of, they simply had no choice but to adapt to what you people were willing to "pay".

And Xatu, well done. It's at least consoling to finally see someone with enough intellect and common sense to notice what has really gone on.

Last edited by Rip73; 03-07-2015 at 08:26 AM.
03-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to epik5
Gameloft failed even on optimizing the games. I wouldnt have bought mc5 or wasted IAP's on gt racing and asphalt 8. I still use an ipod touch 5, and seriously. Gameloft fails more and more
03-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Sigh... Rip, Gameloft is a company. No matter how good one boss's intention is for his company, either a higher or lower level employee will work their hardest to be recognized in a company, and the best way to do that is to gain revenue.

Even company owners eventually lose control of how business rolls, since as the business grows the structure does as well, and with more tier of bosses and employees, the chances of a midtier boss to gain revenue for the company just grows.

Since it is proven that more people will download free games, and some get addicted and shell out tons of cash, that is where these mid tiers will focus.

For example, one team in gameloft earned millions for a freemium game they made, they would get a ton of recognition, maybe even bonuses and other incentives. Dont you think other teams inside gameloft want to compete with that?

The freemium model is a treasure trove, as proven by other companies that made it huge.

Do you still think saying that Gameloft found an opportunity to grow even more through the freemium model something an anti-freemium guy would say? They know they can make good games, everyone wants to play them, and they provide IAPs that can be bought many times over to keep improving something ingame. Surely, a balance can be made, but you cant deny the fact that making good-looking games free with IAPs can rake in a lot of money. That is an oppotunity.

If Gameloft stuck with the premium models til now, the company may sieze to grow. They may still be around, but it wont grow.

Im trying to be as objective as i can with the freemium model. Sure i dont like it personally, but i do accept their existence and see through possible reasons why it exists and why it will stay.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 03-07-2015 at 08:57 AM.
03-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Sigh... Rip, Gameloft is a company. No matter how good one boss's intention is for his company, either a higher or lower level employee will work their hardest to be recognized in a company, and the best way to do that is to gain revenue.

Even company owners eventually lose control of how business rolls, since as the business grows the structure does as well, and with more tier of bosses and employees, the chances of a midtier boss to gain revenue for the company just grows.

Since it is proven that more people will download free games, and some get addicted and shell out tons of cash, that is where these mid tiers will focus.

For example, one team in gameloft earned millions for a freemium game they made, they would get a ton of recognition, maybe even bonuses and other incentives. Dont you think other teams inside gameloft want to compete with that?

The freemium model is a treasure trove, as proven by other companies that made it huge.

Do you still think saying that Gameloft found an opportunity to grow even more through the freemium model something an anti-freemium guy would say? They know they can make good games, everyone wants to play them, and they provide IAPs that can be bought many times over to keep improving something ingame. Surely, a balance can be made, but you cant deny the fact that making good-looking games free with IAPs can rake in a lot of money. That is an oppotunity.

If Gameloft stuck with the premium models til now, the company may sieze to grow. They may still be around, but it wont grow.

Im trying to be as objective as i can with the freemium model. Sure i dont like it personally, but i do accept their existence and see through possible reasons why it exists and why it will stay.
What's with the "sigh"?
Do you not like it when someone points out how typically rhetorical you're post was?
Do you really consider you're post that I replied to as "objective"?
Really??

I've zero interest in another fermium versus premium discussion with anybody on here, irrelevant of how "objective" they consider their post but "Took advantage" implies zero objectivity whatsoever and is merely the usual rhetoric I (and every developer on the planet) has come to expect from people here.

Xatu pointed out a very valid point and accurate assertion. You dismissed it with you're "objective" post that implied developers just want to take advantage of the consumer.
You're point is not accurate.
Yes of course they want to make money, everybody does, but not everybody wants to make it by taking advantage of the comsumer. Some want to earn to charging a fair price for a fair product.

Take it, leave it, I don't particularly care but don't try and come off all "balanced" and "objective" when that clearly is not the case.
Xatu is the only one that was truly objective.
03-07-2015, 10:08 AM
We got freemium, we got Gameloft
Throw in some EA and you got yourselves a soup of what TA users would consider as worst things on mobile gaming.

Anyways I don't really care what Gameloft does or what happens to them since I've never considered them talented people.But I also wondered why they didn't try freemium formula sooner. Maybe they were afraid about the outcome. I guess that's gotta be it since they kept experiencing with it rather than switching to it at once.