I am starting to appreciate freemium.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    i was playing SimCity BuildIt for the last few days. I took it really slow and didn't expand too quickly, and all was good. So I was thinking " dang, I wish this was a $10 - $15 app with no IAP." I was having a good time.... Then the game started going downhill. I guess if I would have bought IAP it would have not become the total drag.

But see, I started to think, that I was glad I didn't actually spend $10 - $15 on it if it was going to play out the same way.... At least I got about 7 or 8 good hours of play in before it started to suck.... Which was actually more hours of fun than many premium games I have bought.

I dunno.... I might have been too harsh on freemium. At least I found out that it wasn't as much fun later in the game without paying anything.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #2 Primoz, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    That's not really fair, is it? Did you try purchasing $10 - $15 worth of IAP?

3. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    #3 Papa Deuce, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    wth does age matter?

4. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    My point is, freemium at least lets you get a good feel for the games... And 7 hours was a nice amount of time.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I've found that to be true with many freemium games. Conversely, I've spent $40-60 on PC/console games that I ended up playing for a couple hours -- either because I disliked them or because I never had the time to focus on them.

Not that I appreciate a frustrating paywall or a time-wasting mechanic. But I think we could all stand to be a little less dogmatic about the whole subject.

6. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I totally understand what you meant TC.
    I like freemium in a lot of puzzle games that present you with a good amount of levels before hitting a paywall.
    My main worry is that devs are pushing freemium to gain more money by making the game unbalanced. The main IDEA behind freemium is good. However it's people who are using it the wrong way and taking advantage of consumers.
    Finally the other problem with freemium is that it's taking over dedicated consoles where it doesn't have any place to be. But it is gaigning ground alongside IAP and DLC and I hate it with all my heart.

7. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Don't bother. He's a troll and you should check out the Vita board for some of his "gems".

8. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Oh, I didn't realize this was IGN.

:)

9. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Nemerlab is in no way a troll or spammer. Many of your posts are completely opinionated and tasteless. His embodiment of you as a troll is really on point. Maybe you just do it for the attention.

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks for your intelligent insight on this topic

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I personally think the worst people are the ones who detest EVERY single freemium game there is. Not every freemium game is 'evil'

I play Star Wars Force Commander a lot, yeah it was a bit of a shock at first with the timers (which i cant stand) but i play the game a few times a day rather than non stop (due to timers/3 currencies). So using this app a few times a day a bit like Twitter/facebook to me is fine

The aim of 'most' freemium games is to get money from the player, those games i tread lightly with.

But again not every freemium game is evil, Dungeon Keeper is one great game which is free. I actually bought an IAP to thank the dev as i felt guilty for playing it so much for free !

Still prefer premium of course but theres so much range out there freemium doesnt upset me that much anymore

12. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    OP here.... I was all about premium, even though I have had many a bad premium game... And I detested the idea of IAP, in general, though I have bought some from time to time, frequently coin doublers. I even gave my wife a $10 gift card for Farmville back in the day. I have bought IAP that I didn't even need just to "thank" a developer.... like in that game where you dive down in the ocean to mine stuff.... I forget the name.... was it called Deep Loot? Anyway.... I have bought IAP, but rarely.

The thing about SimCity's IAP is that if you read the comments on it on the appstore, it is just SUPER expensive to buy "Simoleans". You could fly through the amount you buy in no time.

But nobody makes anybody buy IAP, and I guess, I got a lot of free enjoyment out of playing for 7 hours.... And I gave thought to buying the IAP, but when I thought about it, the price to value was not even close to fair.

But at least now, I think, I will be trying out more freemium games... but still buying premium games too.

13. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I kinda go along with this, the word Freemium is generally over simplified and used as a coverall, not really taking into account the many different and varied implementations. There is good and bad, so it's generally on a case by case basis.

14. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    No sarcasm.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Was never against freemium really. Just the timers that stop one from playing.

Recently though, there have been freemium titles that got me hooked, some even with timers. Titles like FFRK, Marvel Future Fight, Road to Dragons and Spider-Man (although this one's timers can easily be disregarded if you have a decent amount of in-game friends).