★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How "Safe" is Jailbreaking

03-09-2015, 09:17 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
How "Safe" is Jailbreaking

I was thinking about Jailbreaking my iPhone, and was wondering if anyone had encountered any serious problems such, as phone unfixable ones.
03-09-2015, 10:49 PM
I have a similar question, actually. I'm considering jailbreaking just for the use of GBA4iOS -- not browsing Cydia for hacks or apps, not looking for pirated premium games. One app that I already trust, and that's it. But I know that jailbreaking allows access to parts of the device that are usually sealed off. Is there any danger of malicious sites, emails, etc. attacking my phone, or is the danger limited to actual apps? I use my phone for sensitive operations, such as banking, and I can't really afford any risk. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

03-10-2015, 02:32 AM
It is extremely safe. It enables you to potentially do things that aren't safe, but you probably won't do those things.

Just because your computer enables you to potentially delete the entire system folder if you drag it into the trash, that doesn't mean you're going to do it. Jailbreaking is a lot like that - it gets rid of some of the restrictions the system puts in place to prevent apps from doing things like that.

If you install crazy theme engines from Chinese sites that patch system files at startup, there might be some dangers. If you install carefully vetted emulators from reputable sources, there is zero danger.

AfterPad.com - MFi Gaming News | Game List | Controllers | Twitter
03-10-2015, 02:45 AM
^excellent explanation.

There can be trouble if you consider online banking on your device though. Many banking apps are able to detect a jailbroken device and will refuse from running. There are some tweaks around to bypass this detection, though, which doesnt mean that it works in any case. So just keep that in mind, korossyl.
03-10-2015, 03:45 AM
I was a bit paranoid but everything was fine. I just jailbreaked before for emulators. Not cracked apps or anything. Just wanted emilators

Eventually sold my phone so I just restored it to factory settings to get rid of the jailbreak

Don't listen to any paranoid stories about jail breaking. It's fine. Just don't go to any dodgy Chinese sites to install stuff

I was jailbroken for a year and loved it
03-10-2015, 03:50 AM
Jailbreaking can be great. I think just by jailbreaking your device it might leave it more open to security problems in general but I could be wrong. I stopped jailbreaking because in the end. It always screwed with my device and caused problems. I REALLY just want unlimited pages. Is that so hard for Apple to implement?
03-10-2015, 03:52 AM
I had jailbroken devices before and it's pretty safe.

I decided not to jailbreak my ipad air though, as im not really abusing the things offered by the jailbreak. I was mainly using the jailbreak for emulators, but they kill my gaming time with the iOS titles therefore just adding to my pile of backlog.

Without the jailbreak and no emulator, i am able to complete a good number of titles already.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
03-10-2015, 04:09 AM
It's safe. Just don't update/delete anything without knowing what it is and what it does.
03-10-2015, 04:12 AM
i really dont know why people think that jailbreak is something bad and terrible,i can't use all my idevices without jailbreak becase it's boring,i want to change themes,iwidgets...

Game center ID: ip4weather
Upcoming horror games: The Apeiron Project Forgotten Memories In Fear I Trust Nowhere
03-10-2015, 09:35 AM
I've been jail breaking since 2012 & it's never bricked of rendered my phone useless