★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Lunar Terror is out: are you ready to protect humanity ?

09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Lunar Terror is out: are you ready to protect humanity ?

my first game on iPhone/iPodTouch has just been published. a shoot'em up available at the incredible price of 0,99$!

The Earth is in danger! Demonic hordes are invading the solar system, determined to exterminate the entire human race.
As a pilot of the Lunar Team, you will find yourself in the front line to fight the invaders and defend humanity.

Fly the finest ship of the Galactic Fleet, slalom between enemy fire, and reduce them to ashes before they reach the Earth!
Will you be clever and ruthless enough to carry out this last chance mission ?

- A tremendous gameplay: your ship will obey you at finger tip.
- Fight your enemies on the moon, in space and on Earth.
- Choose the level of difficulty, from ridiculously easy to appallingly difficult.
- Innumerable and ruthless enemies, your reflexes will be strained.
- A German admiral.
- The opportunity to become an intergalactic hero.

And remember, the fate of humanity now lies in your dexterous little fingers!
The iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=329670540&mt=8

And a few screenshots:

09-16-2009, 04:23 PM
This looks absolutely horrible and my guess is this thread will sink faster than a sumo wrestler in quicksand. That being said, I'm getting it.

09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
@KSC - Tell us how it is! I'm guessing by the insane size of the hero ship that it's not worth getting, but you never know. I love me some shmups.
Honda NX650 Dominator

Last edited by thewiirocks; 02-17-2011 at 12:01 AM.
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM

I don't know what to say. I can't honestly recommend this to anyone, but I really think there's something special about it. it's like the Ed Wood of video games!

The controls aren't great, but they aren't horrible either. Sounds are crap and there's no background music whatsoever. There's no global leaderboads or any other selling points. The whole concept and storyline is convoluted and set to cheese factor 10. In short, there are so many amazing games in the app store for .99 cents that there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to purchase this.

Except for this:

I'd say either those photos will have you scrambling for the back button or the link to the app store. I can't wait to see if anyone else opts for the latter!

I will say this, it is ridiculously challenging! It took me 4 tries just to beat the second boss! Enemies are relentless and even passing them by gives little relief as they oftentimes double back. And this was on EASY!
09-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Ya know, if the devs of these totally obscure and independent titles actually came back now and then to bump their threads and talk about their games, maybe show that they are open to critisism and willing to work on things and make regular updates, they might get more attention.

That's twice in one week I took a dive to help out the little guy. I'm never TOFTT again! It always winds up a one mamn team, anyway!
09-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks for taking the time (and money!) to try this out, KSC. I was not expecting a positive reaction, so I was a bit surprised by your qualified optimism.

Since I absolutely love games that are so bad they're good (b-games?), I might just have to get this one...

Last edited by thewiirocks; 02-17-2011 at 12:01 AM.
09-17-2009, 08:28 AM
No problem. I have to tell you, I've been playing it over and over again since last night. It's soooooo friggin hard! As you said in your first post, the massive size of your ship makes it insane. It also has to be the most unforgiving shooter on the planet. Like I said, you basically need to eliminate all enemies or they double back. If they do, you have the previous wave to deal with and the newly generated wave. All this combined with the fact that bullets can't even pass through your wings like on many other games. No matter where they hit, you lose life. There's no power-ups, no bombs, nothing. I've felt less overwhelmed by Mars Matrix and Ikaruga like shumps where the entire screen is a blitz of bullets!

I just attempted to get through the first level on easy four times and couldn't do it without losing a guy. Sometimes it seems that the AI knows you're doing well and comopensate by becoming faster! I really wish the dev would come back. I'd like to ask him what the hell he was thinking!
09-17-2009, 04:22 PM

and thank you for the feedback !
Well as you noticed, the graphics of the game are not so impressive (I made it myself, and I'm a no graphist). For my next shoot'em up, I've hired a real graphist, and the result should be quite better

About the difficulty of the game:
in hard mode, the game is quite difficult. But in esay mode, I didn't thought you would find it so challenging.

I will soon release an update with difficulty level adjusted (and additional content).

Ps "the Ed Wood of video games" is an honorific title

Last edited by Gowzer; 09-17-2009 at 05:00 PM.
09-17-2009, 05:18 PM
You came back, awesome!

Actually, I kinda like the graphics. The enemy ships are cool as hell, especially the skull ones in level 3. All the bosses I've seen so far are cool, too. If I had to complain, I'd say the hero ship is the only design I don't like. It looks too much like the US space shuttles and it's WAY too big! I'm also a fan of the cut scenes! They are super cheesy, but I like cheesy. They remind me of the FMV Sega CD games.

As far as the difficulty is concerned I think it has more to with the size of your ship and the fact that in order to move it, you have to have your finger on it. Many times I've been hit by an enemies projectiles from behind simply because my hand was blocking my view. The controls work well and are always responsive, but I just wish they were implemented differently. I'd much rather have a virtual d-pad or accelerometer controls.

I'm glad you appreciate the Ed Wood comment. It's got such a B movie feel to it that I think gives it a lot of charm. It's not gonna be for everyone, but sometimes that's a good thing! As a whole, I think it's a great first effort, it just needs some tweaking.

Last edited by KSC; 09-17-2009 at 05:22 PM.
09-18-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm glad you like the graphics

I want to add several features in the upcoming update:
- more levels
- a fourth and easier difficulty mode
- a background music during the game
- an alternative control mode

But it will takes some time, I'm working alone on this title, and doing it after work.