Caves n' Chasms (by Chronicle Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by hraefn, Mar 11, 2015.

1. hraefn

hraefn Member

Feb 1, 2011
    #1 hraefn, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

We're putting the finishing touches on Caves n' Chasms, an adventure / light puzzler that'll be perfect for fans of Steamworld: Dig, Terraria, and other digging-related games ;)

Unique stuff about Caves n' Chasms:

- Instead of direct combat, use traps like landmines, dynamite and spikes to wipe out enemies
    - What the hell, just use the traps to dig, too!
    - Level based, not open world - no need to spend hours returning to the surface
    - No D-Pad! We created a specialized tap and path-drawing system that testers have taken to very quickly.

This isn't a small game - I was prototyping this in late 2013 with Ido Yehieli, of Cardinal Quest and (early stage) Auro fame and my little studio has worked on it since.

It is a paid game (please be kind! we gotta eat), and we're looking at an end of March release. More pics before my final ask:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, now to confess my guilt - like a lot of indies, we haven't put sufficient time into marketing. So if you think the game looks decent at all, we'd like to hear about it. Questions would be especially appreciated, as they'll help me with our future pitches!

Also, beta testers are more than welcome, especially if you can do Android. Just email me at chris AT chroniclegames DOT com.

2. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    This looks wonderful, almost like something Disney would make. I don't normally get into digging games, but I'm really digging this. Sorry.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    This looks good!

4. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Really looks cool, how did I miss getting to test this game :(

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Never be shy to say you have a paid game. In fact that's what many of us here love. Whenever we say, how much will this be, I think most of us are hoping not to hear FREE. We love premium games. Because this is going to be a paid game it's now under my radar.

6. hraefn

hraefn Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Thanks for the compliments on the art! We're really happy with how it looks, too.

Dreadnok - if you want to test it, you can email me ;)

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Really digging the art style. Yes. I said it.

8. leopicasso

leopicasso New Member

Mar 12, 2015
    testing

i really wanna test this on my iPhone looks cool

9. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

This looks really good! Loving the art style :)

10. hraefn

hraefn Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Thanks for the compliments, all :)

I've gotten various emails about testing. I'd like to create a few special save game states for you guys. Give me a little time and I'll get replies & test copies out!

11. haewyre99

haewyre99 New Member

Mar 20, 2014
    I get excited about games like this - a strong puzzle element (for those of us who like to use our brains!) and great graphics too AND digging? Where do I sign up?! I also get a little bit of Torchlight-like graphics vibe, which only makes it even more appealing for me. Did anyone else get that gut feeling?

12. hraefn

hraefn Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Hi y'all, just wanted to fill everyone in that we've nailed down an April 9 launch date! Thanks to all the testers! And apologies if I missed anyone. Next time around I'll find a temporary assistant to keep us organized.

By the way, since we don't have review quotes yet for the store description and need to submit soon, I'm wondering if you guys could help out with some quotable quotes. Judging from the thread so far, digging jokes come naturally. Anyone want to pit their wit against this idea, pun intended? ;)

Still happy to share some review copies as well during this last ditch crunch time!

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I'm really into this game. If you need some review quotes I could help.

14. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I dig it. Amongst the piles of rubble of games out there this one hammers it home. Anybody who has an interest in exploraxtion and treasure hunting gsmes should have their interest spikea by tHis.

15. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Wasn't this game supposed to come out by now? I am looking forward to it whenever it does...

16. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Says April 9 in earlier post. Beta tested for it, solid game! Hope it makes it out!

17. hraefn

hraefn Member

Feb 1, 2011
    #17 hraefn, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Hey all! Sorry for the missed launch date. Apple kept us in the approval queue for much longer than we expected. Apologies to folks who wanted to beta test on iOS, the new approval process for testing is a bit painful too!

We just got approved last night after midnight (also, as it became my birthday - good omens!).

New date: this Thursday, April 16th :D Looking forward to it!

18. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Really? Next 2 days? A good news. Will keep my eyes on this. :)