★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What do you do before downloading a game?

03-14-2015, 07:03 AM
#1
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
What do you do before downloading a game?

The first impression we get before download any game is the icon of the game. My question is ‘What do you do after pressing the icon?’ Do you guys really go for the description? Do you think screenshot is good enough to describe a game? Or is it necessary to hear someone else before downloading a game?
03-14-2015, 07:39 AM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Upstate NY/USA
Posts: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajonbuzz View Post
The first impression we get before download any game is the icon of the game. My question is ‘What do you do after pressing the icon?’ Do you guys really go for the description? Do you think screenshot is good enough to describe a game? Or is it necessary to hear someone else before downloading a game?
Before I even consider buying I see what's popular in the threads, listen to feedback from others who've bought the game, hear from friends recommendations, read reviews, basically to a full research (might be a quick one at times). I want to make my time worthwhile playing a quality game so I never impulsively hit the buy button nowadays.
Taking in the quality of the icon and looking at screen shots does play a part when researching a game to buy. I would hope a dev who cares enough to make a quality game wouldn't stick a crappy icon to it.

03-14-2015, 09:24 AM
#3
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldar View Post
Before I even consider buying I see what's popular in the threads, listen to feedback from others who've bought the game, hear from friends recommendations, read reviews, basically to a full research (might be a quick one at times). I want to make my time worthwhile playing a quality game so I never impulsively hit the buy button nowadays.
Taking in the quality of the icon and looking at screen shots does play a part when researching a game to buy. I would hope a dev who cares enough to make a quality game wouldn't stick a crappy icon to it.
This^
03-14-2015, 09:48 AM
#4
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Ibaraki, Japan
Posts: 903
Draw a pentagram on the floor with chalk.
03-14-2015, 01:13 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Suppose if the game is free. Then what should you guys do? If the game play is good then is it necessary for us to wait someone's opinion?
@Coldar @Anonomation @Shaun Musgrave

Last edited by rajonbuzz; 03-14-2015 at 01:16 PM.
03-14-2015, 05:55 PM
#6
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajonbuzz View Post
Suppose if the game is free. Then what should you guys do? If the game play is good then is it necessary for us to wait someone's opinion?
@Coldar @Anonomation @Shaun Musgrave
If the game is free and you have the space on your device to download than I would say give it a go. Worst case, you don't like it and delete it. No harm no foul. Or another option I use on games, I use the watch feature from the TA news and reviews sections, that way I get alerts about Articles or updates to the game via push message. I think TA is the only app I allow push messages for besides accuweather lol.
03-17-2015, 06:27 AM
#7
I drink tea looking on screen, on the screenshots and read the reviews, comments.

Of course comments maybe as positive as negative, but in general already know what to expect.
03-17-2015, 06:34 AM
#8
Game trailer with GAMEPLAY is a key selling point

If its free i just download and try it if the trailer/screenshots looks decent

If its paid i check out youtube/toucharcade/appspy for hands on/gameplay and then decide.
03-17-2015, 11:12 AM
#9
I go on YouTube, and if the official video doesn't have gameplay within the first 3 seconds, I don't download.

Just kidding But wow, it's tempting... Nobody outside the company CARES about the 30 seconds of dramatic text titles with dramatic music! I wouldn't even do that for a teaser (unless it relates to an already-understood previous game maybe). Concept art, still shots, gameplay video, etc.--all good! But not just words, however excitingly animated they may be.

Yes, I too look at description and reviews--and What's New including the last-updated date (in case it's abandonware that might stop working with an OS update). Star reviews don't matter as much as review text, because that's how you spot the fake ratings. And I look for off-store reviews (mainly articles/forum topics here).

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 03-17-2015 at 11:15 AM.
03-17-2015, 09:59 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,604
See the screenshots first. If I like them, I'll see the gameplay on youtube and download after I like the youtube video.

Pine Entertainment