★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's up with no forum avatars

03-19-2015, 06:34 PM
What's up with no forum avatars

Probably explained somewhere in plain sight, how come I can't set an avatar?

Cheap bastards.

03-19-2015, 06:47 PM
I'm almost certain that avatars are for developers, mods and admin.

03-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
I'm almost certain that avatars are for developers, mods and admin.
Probably. So, maybe, I'll code a tic-tac-toe game in order to get a forum avatar. *grin*
03-20-2015, 09:59 PM
Señor Puff has it right.

And you'd still need to get your application approved.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
03-20-2015, 10:11 PM
I know we probably shouldn't get avatars just from being members but how about a new title if you have posted over 5000 posts? I have not made it yet but I think once you past the 5000 mark you have so much more experience and knowledge than us mortal senior members.
03-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Off the top of my head, there is only a handful of people with 5,000+ posts.
(I'll be one of them 12 posts from now )

Incentivizing post counts is a terrible idea though - it encourages posting for the sake of making a post, instead of contributing. On a smaller scale, you can see it happening now that active links require 20 posts. Occasionally we catch out members with 20 one-word or one-sentence posts just to raise the numbers. Imagine that on a several-thousand scale.

Then there's the problem of visibility - those qualifying for an avatar can choose to opt into using one. It gives instant recognition to posts made by that person. That's not always a good thing - and we still have moderators choosing to not use an avatar at all.

And add to that the amount of work moderating forum avatars as well as posts... Damn.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
03-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
Off the top of my head, there is only a handful of people with 5,000+ posts.
(I'll be one of them 12 posts from now )

Incentivizing post counts is a terrible idea though - it encourages posting for the sake of making a post, instead of contributing. On a smaller scale, you can see it happening now that active links require 20 posts. Occasionally we catch out members with 20 one-word or one-sentence posts just to raise the numbers. Imagine that on a several-thousand scale.

Then there's the problem of visibility - those qualifying for an avatar can choose to opt into using one. It gives instant recognition to posts made by that person. That's not always a good thing - and we still have moderators choosing to not use an avatar at all.

And add to that the amount of work moderating forum avatars as well as posts... Damn.
Ya I guess I see what you mean but it would be quite a challenge to make 5000 bs posts and not get banned. Lol.
03-21-2015, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
Ya I guess I see what you mean but it would be quite a challenge to make 5000 bs posts and not get banned. Lol.
Simpler than you think.

Some people are really good at getting away with it...

03-24-2015, 11:59 AM
We are going to open up avatars soon.
03-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
We are going to open up avatars soon.
Well that's super exciting. I've been waiting yearssss

TOP5: Chaos Rings 3 / Monster Hunter Freedom Unite / The World Ends With You / Kingdom Rush Series / Implosion
My Artwork: http://pixiv.me/raidriar