★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Donsol is a simple solitary card game, designed by John Eternal during Train Jam, where you must go through a series of rooms(4 cards) with the tools available.
03-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Very interested in this, has a huge amount of potential. Not sure I'll wait for impressions for this as it's quite niche. Nice find!

03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Same guy who did Oquonie, might have to bite on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
03-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Looks nice, Would love a Video and imps
03-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Erin go BLARGH!

Bought it.

Back in a few...

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
03-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Game Impressions

So far it's... very minimal.

You get 4 cards, which can be potions, shields & two suits of monsters.

At the top of the screen is Health Points, Armor Points and Experience Points.

In the middle of the screen is a dot that you can expand (and sometimes auto-expands) with the options Leave Dungeon & Run Away or Next Room or Enter another Door (on the first turn).

If you leave the dungeon you just go back to the "enter dungeon" title screen. I don't see any score/etc. If you die you are told what percentage of the dungeon you cleared and what room you were in.

After all monsters are cleared, the run away option appears.

Shields break after taking a number of hits proportionate to their strength - not sure if this resets from room to room yet. Equiping a shield when you already have one changes to that new value in AP.

You cannot use two potions in a row, or you'll feel sick.

I have encountered a card marked BOSS, it was a 10 point monster. (Dungeon 1, room 3.)

That's it for initial impressions - if I have any major findings I'll be back!

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
03-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Me again.

Shields:

Monster level higher than shield: extra damage goes to you, shield gets a (#) of the total attack.

Monster level same/lower than shield: Shield loses AP down to the point value of the monster. You lose HP equal to the monster value over the original shield value.If you attack an equal or stronger monster the shield will break and you'll take all the damage.) Try to take out stronger monsters first!

The game scolds you if you waste a potion, not sure if you 'run away' if it gets shuffled back in or lost. So far I've only made it 10 rooms in to the first dungeon. I wish I had a deck of cards with me so I could more easily count cards...

Also: I'm not so sure about monster strenghts. Had a 23 point boss, and 2's seem to be a lot stronger than 2.

Drinking potions and attacking a larger monster carry from room to room.

(Yeah, figuring the game out is as much fun as the game! )

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 03-20-2015 at 05:54 PM.
03-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Bosses are 21 points.
Monster Aces are 17, Kings are 15, Queens are 13.
All other face cards and Aces are 11.

Until your shield breaks, it will continue to block it's remaining AP from each monster
When your shield breaks, you take the full damage of the monster.
Played correctly (and with cooperating card draws) one shield can absorb a lot of damage!

You can only 'run away' once per room.

54 card deck.
You get 1 XP for each card tapped on, even if it kills you.

Let me know if I'm getting annoying and/or need to enclose this stuff in spoiler tags.

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 03-20-2015 at 06:17 PM.
03-20-2015, 07:56 PM
This guy's games are really amazing. Hiversaires and Oquonie both taught the rules of their universes in a wordless, virtuoso meta-puzzle.
Definitely going to check this out, but need to top up my iTunes account. Gah, too many games...
03-20-2015, 08:06 PM
I did not need to purchase any more games this week, but this is just too intriguing to resist!