★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's up with fake friend requests on GC?

03-24-2015, 12:37 AM
What's up with fake friend requests on GC?

I have been starting to get a lot more of these fake, or at least I think they are fake, requests from hot "model like" girls. I'm pretty sure these are fake accounts with fake profile picks. I don't understand what these people get from acquiring hundreds of friends on game Center. Other platforms make sense for these fake accounts such as Instagram but I have no clue how they can market me anything.
03-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Probably some type of clever spam. I rarely use gamecenter but did find it odd when people used to accept requests from people they haven't even spoken to on forums.

Surely if some strange 'I'm a model' person appears just delete/deny them

03-24-2015, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Probably some type of clever spam. I rarely use gamecenter but did find it odd when people used to accept requests from people they haven't even spoken to on forums.

Surely if some strange 'I'm a model' person appears just delete/deny them
I'm cool with random people being my friend on GC. As long as they have a good taste in games. These models always have every f2p game known to man.
03-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Wait, you mean Jennifer Lawrence isn't really sending me Candy Crush requests!?

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
03-24-2015, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Probably some type of clever spam.
How?
03-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
How?
By sending you challenges to games you would never play.
03-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
I have been starting to get a lot more of these fake, or at least I think they are fake, requests from hot "model like" girls. I'm pretty sure these are fake accounts with fake profile picks. I don't understand what these people get from acquiring hundreds of friends on game Center. Other platforms make sense for these fake accounts such as Instagram but I have no clue how they can market me anything.
I feel like bots are probably mining sites like this or anywhere that GC usernames might be listed or mentioned. I don't share mine anywhere and I think I've gotten maybe one spam request ever.

Developer, SALTY CROC INTERACTIVE
03-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkane View Post
By sending you challenges to games you would never play.
I don't use GameCenter much and thought that you can only send challenges to a friend if he already owns the game. Either way, the developers then pay money to some shady asian company who then keeps pumping fake GC accounts? That's pretty sad...

Coolpepper have you recieved any challenges from those fake accounts yet?
03-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Haven't had too many of these, but it's very weird.

Sorry, "Victoria", no friend for you!

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
03-27-2015, 08:47 AM
I wish I had a woman like on the pictures of friend requests, I wish dearly, Ha Ha Ha.