★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Rogue Star (by RedBreast Studio) Elite-style Space Combat/Trading Game

03-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Rogue Star (by RedBreast Studio) Elite-style Space Combat/Trading Game

I've been testing a new game this weekend and talking to the developer for a while now about their new game, Rogue Star. It's a space combat/trading game in the vein of Elite, Freelancer and all those lovely games that normally don't make it off PC and onto iOS. It's been 5 years in the making

The developer's a really nice guy who worked on Die Hard Trilogy, the Fable series and other really cool stuff. They've already submitted the game to Apple so there's not a huge amount of time until release which is great for impatient people like me!

It's a fully premium game, most likely launching in the ballpark of 3.99/$4.99 as he's very much a lover of old school games with no hidden fees. They have plans to build on the game post-launch and are committed to creating a community for Rogue Star which I absolutely love the sound of.

This is directly from James, of RedBreast Studio, discussing how Rogue Star plays:

Quote:
The game itself is a distillation of the design elements which drew me to the genre in the first place.
-Fun and skillful WW2 style flight combat mechanics.
-A sparse storyline which prioritised players imaginations.
-Risk/Reward mechanics to challenge players.

With those key elements in mind, the game was designed around smartphones/tablets touch screen controls and updated to appeal to a growing, more sophisticated mobile gaming audience. You've already noticed that I really hate dull grey visuals and boxy ship designs. I wanted Rogue to be populated with strong characterful ships with bold outlines. Ships that you could chase down and enjoy the thrill of up-close dogfighting with.

The player is tasked with surviving in a far away system of space. This entire system has been designated as a penal colony and its citizens (i.e. prisoners from all over the galaxy) put to work harvesting its natural resources. As a pilot, it's up to you to travel between the planets of the system, making money via auctions, accepting deliveries, buying ships and increasing your notoriety.

You can be good or bad but your actions effect your progress in different ways. Turn pirate and you may be able to make money faster but you'll find other ships wary of you, and if caught the law will heavily fine you. Obey the law and you'll get a better rep and more offers of work. However, credits will need to be earned and pirates may take more interest in you.
Here's the latest trailer:

I'll update this with a load of screenshots I've taken during gameplay and impressions in a minute. The developer has stated that he'll likely be along soon to answer questions as well.
03-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Below are some pics taking during my own gameplay:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	85240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	85241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	85242  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	85243  

03-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Wow. This look good!

Instabuy for me as I have been waiting for a proper Elite successor. Fingers crossed for next week if it has gone to Apple.

3DS Favourites -
IOS favourites - Dead Space, Xcom, Shadowrun.
Multiplayer ID - Magnum0ik (use a zero)
03-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Wow. Thanks for the heads up Pete!

These iOS games just keep getting better and better in design and scope!
03-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Hi guys and gals,

My name's James and I'm the Creative Director behind Rogue Star. PeteOzzy has done a great job of introducing it so I just wanted to pop in and say hi. It's great to start seeing peoples' reactions to game, I hope they continue to be as positive as Pete's!

I'm very happy to field questions on the title. I've really tried to change peoples' perceptions of what's possible on mobile (touch screen) devices, so please shoot me any queries you may have. I'm also happy to talk about my history and the development process itself, it's been a rollercoaster ride for sure!
03-29-2015, 03:21 PM
hey man. i'm brantov. STILL WAITING FOR THIS BLOCKBUSTER!
03-29-2015, 03:26 PM
If you can nail the feeling of dogfighting in space then you have a sale here.
I like how the characters are animated when they speak. That really adds to
the believability of the world.

Thanks
03-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Nice explosions!
03-29-2015, 04:20 PM
this beauty must be mine asap!!!

just hope it doesn't take the same road as Tiny Trek (in almost 2 years we've seen ony preview trailers, and still do not know when it comes out!!!)

Last edited by Gwarmaxx; 03-29-2015 at 04:27 PM.
03-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmaxx View Post
this beauty must be mine asap!!!

just hope it doesn't take the same road as Tiny Trek (in almost 2 years we've seen ony preview trailers, and still do not know when it comes out!!!)
already submitted. coming in maybe next two weeks.