★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The right budget for your Game

03-29-2015, 08:17 AM
The right budget for your Game

We are going to launch a new game. We have a plan to spend some money on it. What will be the right budget? If you have a game to promote then how much money should you spend for accelerate the download? And where should you sped?
03-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Anyone here would just be guessing, but you need 5 figures to really make any sort of a dent.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8

03-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajonbuzz View Post
We are going to launch a new game. We have a plan to spend some money on it. What will be the right budget? If you have a game to promote then how much money should you spend for accelerate the download? And where should you sped?
The "right budget" really depends on your financial situation, so nobody here could really answer that for you.

My advice would be not to spend everything you have on a single game, but to spread out your available capital across a series of games, allowing you to spread your bets and have some runway. Creating multiple games also allows you to learn from success and mistakes to make subsequent games even better.

If you are new to creating games, then you probably don't want to spend more than 5 or 6 months on a single game, so as to not over invest. So that might be way to derive a budget if you work backwards from that.

At the very least, make sure you have enough money to keep running for several months after you plan to release something, because even if you release a game that is successful it takes a couple of months to get that money back into your bank account.
04-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Quote:
If you have a game to promote then how much money should you spend for accelerate the download? And where should you spend?
Depends on the market, starting from $20-50K for a mass market game on a developed market, according to several marketing agencies we have been talking to. Anything less than $5 000 is considered guerrilla marketing, but it may be enough if your game is so great everyone will just love it!
04-06-2015, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
Anyone here would just be guessing, but you need 5 figures to really make any sort of a dent.
Yep, I have that figure. Now tell if you have $10,000 then what are the places you should spend your money.
04-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
The "right budget" really depends on your financial situation, so nobody here could really answer that for you.

My advice would be not to spend everything you have on a single game, but to spread out your available capital across a series of games, allowing you to spread your bets and have some runway. Creating multiple games also allows you to learn from success and mistakes to make subsequent games even better.

If you are new to creating games, then you probably don't want to spend more than 5 or 6 months on a single game, so as to not over invest. So that might be way to derive a budget if you work backwards from that.

At the very least, make sure you have enough money to keep running for several months after you plan to release something, because even if you release a game that is successful it takes a couple of months to get that money back into your bank account.
Thanks for your advice. I think at least you should try once whatever your budget is. My question is what are the effective areas a developer should concern for effective marketing? What will you do if your boss gave you $5000?
04-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Yep, I have that figure. Now tell if you have $10,000 then what are the places you should spend your money.
I would spend most of it on chartboost pay per install (assuming the app is free) and hope that my inapp stuff exceeds the cost of install. This would get you 3-4K installs.

I would also spend a small amount (less than 500) on things like fiver and prmac to try and get the word out there in some more organic ways.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
04-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Thanks for your advice. I think at least you should try once whatever your budget is. My question is what are the effective areas a developer should concern for effective marketing? What will you do if your boss gave you $5000?
If you only have $5000 to spend on a marketing budget, then you are better off not doing any marketing and spending that $5000 on making the game even better or adding/improving sharing capability. That kind of marketing spend just wouldn't get you any real visibility.

That would improve the chance of featuring, better word of mouth, and more virality.

If you feel you have to spend $5000 on marketing, then you could consider running a campaign here on TouchArcade. The site has a large community of hardcore users and is visited by journalists from other sites, so if your app appeals to that sort of demographic or could otherwise get traction from that then you could consider that.
04-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
I would spend most of it on chartboost pay per install (assuming the app is free) and hope that my inapp stuff exceeds the cost of install. This would get you 3-4K installs.

I would also spend a small amount (less than 500) on things like fiver and prmac to try and get the word out there in some more organic ways.
Thanks for your advice. Don't you think Press Release is an important sector? If so then which press release site would you prefer?
04-08-2015, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
If you only have $5000 to spend on a marketing budget, then you are better off not doing any marketing and spending that $5000 on making the game even better or adding/improving sharing capability. That kind of marketing spend just wouldn't get you any real visibility.

That would improve the chance of featuring, better word of mouth, and more virality.

If you feel you have to spend $5000 on marketing, then you could consider running a campaign here on TouchArcade. The site has a large community of hardcore users and is visited by journalists from other sites, so if your app appeals to that sort of demographic or could otherwise get traction from that then you could consider that.
Thanks buddy, What do you think, what should be the marketing budget for great app? (As you know every day thousands of apps are launching in the app stores) One more thing, by saying 'TouchArcade campaign' what do you mean? Do you mean to advertise with 'TouchArcade'?