★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Dark times are imminent: the kings abduction throws a once peaceful land into turmoil. Being the chosen one elected by the king himself you embark on an adventurous journey to free him from the hands of the evil duke.

But time is of the essence!

Features

- Roguelike turn-based strategy meets RPG on a hexagonal battlefield.
- On every game start the world is rebuilt with different environments and encounters;
- More than 4 diverse and procedural environments
- Hire 9 individual mercenaries to take on bandits, wildlife and malevolent knights
- Utilise the unique class skills of the archer, wizard, scout and others
- Gather resources, level-up your companions and collect mighty equipment
- Alternative endings

Will you save the king before the time runs out?

What the Media says

Crowntakers strikes a really good balance between simplicity and complexity. It has just as much pick up and play appeal as lighter roguelike fare while offering a bit more to chew on.
Shaun Musgrave, toucharcade, 4,5/5 stars

Crowntakers is a tough combination of turn based strategy and Roguelike. It's quite satisfying, though.
Jennifer Allen, 148Apps, 4/5 stars

How many acronyms can you cram into a single game? Crowntakers is a PDL TBS RPG (that is, a procedural death labyrinth role-playing game with turn-based strategy combat) () and its really good fun if you like games like Final Fantasy Tactics.
Michelle Star, CNET

User Ratings

5/5 - If you like turn based tactical medieval rpg's get this. Not as much story/length as final fantasy tactics, but frankly on iDevices I consider that a win. Bite sized battles, winnable in a day on easy, challenging on hard, good replay value. Only crashed once on 1st gen mini

5/5 - This is worth your money. You get a polished game, tactical battles, and thoughtful choices in exploration. Also big points for splitting the game into two difficulties. One being sort of roguelike with permadeath and the other much more RPG without permadeath and with consistent leveling. If you're thinking about this one, you'll probably thoroughly enjoy it like I do!

5/5 - This game should get much more hype. I've been playing it non-stop in my free time for over a week. Despite some bugs (which the dev's have been very quick to address), Each game feels quite different with the random locations within areas, random loot and different party builds. It's not easy at first, but learning different strategies as you go is enjoyable. Highly recommend this game!

5/5 - Big fan of this game. The battles are very tactical and the map navigation is really streamlined and fun to explore. This is a good one for any rogue-like fans. It's not super punishing, but it does present a nice challenge on the normal mode (haven't beaten it yet, but I hope a hard mode unlocks after doing so).
03-30-2015, 04:09 PM
If you like roguelikes then this is an important release in my mind!

I love this on PC. Tough, story-focused roguelike with a fantastic boardgame-esque style. Very enjoyable, and unlike anything I can think of on iOS. It's also half the price pretty much of its PC counterpart. If you like personality, challenge, replayability and freedom that doesn't compromise story structure then I can only recommend this.

The battles are like Heroes of Might and Magic etc. whilst the exploration is roguelike with random events thrown in like those in FTL and Out There. I wouldn't say it quite matches the levels of those games, but it is something I'll happily double dip with seeing as I paid 13 for it originally on PC.

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 03-30-2015 at 04:25 PM.

03-30-2015, 04:22 PM
I can't even see the App Description yet, but with Pete's comments and it being by Kalypso, I'm getting it.
03-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEN View Post
I can't even see the App Description yet, but with Pete's comments and it being by Kalypso, I'm getting it.
I so hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

It's not perfect, and those that get frustrated when they have a bad play that could be blamed on randomness will get a little irritated but it is worth the money to me without a doubt. I can't express how much I love seeing so many great PC indies come out on iOS; you can't not take mobile seriously when it offers a fair chunk of the most "hardcore" platform's games.
03-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Pete, I just wanted you to confirm for me that there is some carry over on play throughs. Do you get to carry over your characters level or items/gold or all of the above?

Edit: Nevermind, I bought it. 643MB installed file size.

Last edited by ojtitus; 03-30-2015 at 10:12 PM.
03-30-2015, 07:14 PM
The feeling you get when you realize just how much you miss the old forums because on the main page isnt split between iPad and iPhone games. I want to play this

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder
03-30-2015, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
The feeling you get when you realize just how much you miss the old forums because on the main page isnt split between iPad and iPhone games. I want to play this
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the new look. I still miss the days when the Appshopper was integrated on the main page. Oh, the good old days of this forum.

Edit: I also don't like how they did away with the forum search engine, now you just have to search the entire site and you still can't search for any words that are less than four letters.

Last edited by ojtitus; 03-30-2015 at 07:32 PM.
03-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
I so hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

It's not perfect, and those that get frustrated when they have a bad play that could be blamed on randomness will get a little irritated but it is worth the money to me without a doubt. I can't express how much I love seeing so many great PC indies come out on iOS; you can't not take mobile seriously when it offers a fair chunk of the most "hardcore" platform's games.
That's why I love mobile gaming so much right now. I have been a console guy ever since the old Intellivision/Atari days, but I never got into PC gaming. So it's nice being able to play a big chunk of games that I've missed over the years. Then throw in everything else that's on the AppStore and I find myself playing iOS games more than my consoles.
03-30-2015, 10:01 PM
When will this be out in the US?
03-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSNellie View Post
When will this be out in the US?
The usual update time, I'm downloading it right now.