★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Chain Face is out

09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Chain Face is out

Hello there,

Wheee, our new game is out! "Chain Face" is not really an arcade game, but since the "simulation" category also sports a chess game, this may fit in just as well. "Chain Face" is a nice little game that simulates the childrens toy where a part of an illustration on a piece of cardboard (usually some face) is replaced by a little chain. By shaking the cardboard you can generate strange images.
Here is a page with some description and the link to the iTunes store, if you are interested.

Thanks and regards,
Sebastian Mecklenburg
(Coder of the much appreciated "Great Leaping Lambrettinis". Yes, an update is in the works ;-) Sorry. So much to do and so little time...)

Last edited by happyhappyboy; 09-17-2009 at 11:34 AM.
09-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG

09-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Cool - I haven't seen one of these in a long time.

Ah, nostalgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-17-2009, 11:42 AM
huh...classic childrens toy...i've never heard of this

...nice artwork tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
09-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Can you tell us more about this?
09-17-2009, 12:25 PM
They used to have childrens toys that were incomplete images printed on a background. Depending upon the image (although it was usually the nose/mouth area) the cut lines in the drawing were connected by a string or chain. You would then shake the board in order to change the shape of the area that was movable. ie the chain. It's kind of similar to those toys where you moved around tiny metal filings with a magnet in order to make hair/mustaches/beards on an image of a bald dude.

I don't think there's any kind of "game" involved here. No scores or leaderboards. No right or wrong answers, just an interactive experience.
09-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Initial Impressions

This app is definitely a cute toy.

There are 11 screens, including the title screen. Nine of them have a chain face/nose with a chain attached at two ends, and you tilt your device to move the chain around as if using gravity. (one of these screens has two noses...) The other two feature multiple chains attached at one end, one as hair and one as a grass skirt.

Dragging on the screen moves the current picture, revealing the one beneath. If you move it far enough off the screen, it will go away completely. A side note: chains on both pictures animate, which is a nice touch. When you move the last picture, you go back to the title screen.

The backgrounds feature nice hand-drawn artwork.

If you fondly remember these toys as a kid, or are interested in toys on your iPhone or iPod Touch (perhaps for your kids) then this is worth picking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
01-05-2010, 07:47 PM
1.1 update is out

What's new
- Animated loading screen
- Improved chain physics
- 1 new image
- Small bugfixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
01-05-2010, 07:51 PM
This does look kinda cute and a fun thing to mess about with, but I'm surprised they couldn't whack out a few more images with it.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ