★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Ancient Workshop
  • Genre: Kids
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 14.1 MB
  • Version: 1.24
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Winner of the 2010 International Mobile Gaming Awards, "Excellence in Design".

Ancient Frog Junior is a new take on Ancient Frog, an original puzzle game from Ancient Workshop.

Ancient Frog Junior has all the charm and polish of Ancient Frog - the lush environments, the soothing soundtrack, the beautiful animations - but focuses on the playful exploratory experience instead of increasingly challenging puzzles. The 20 levels skip quickly through changes of environment, introducing each bright little frog at shorter intervals.

Each new puzzle has been carefully designed to have two levels of solution. Getting the frog to its dinner is easy enough, but if you want to challenge yourself, there is a shorter route that may take some effort to discover.

Perfect for the child in your family, or the child in yourself, Ancient Frog Junior brings you all the fun without the frustration.

Here's what reviewers had to say about the original Ancient Frog:

"a game that is so playable, so beautiful, and so stunningly out of left field that even jaded critics like us can't help but rave about it." -- slidetoplay.com

"one of the App Stores true hidden gems. Ancient Frog is so unique, so gorgeously rendered, that I just have to commend the developer. Its the kind of game where youll find yourself returning againand againand again" -- 148apps.com

"This game isnt just unusual to play, its also gorgeous to look at. Like all the best software, Ancient Frog benefits from attention to detail" -- cultofmac.com

"Ancient Frog has the unnerving feel - right from the off - of being the kind of game that toilet breaks were made for. And I mean in the kind of addictively brilliant way." -- chrisadampickering.co.uk

- 20 unique levels
- 6 species of frog
- Hours of replayability
- A host of beautiful environments
- Soothing soundscape
- Lovely lighting

AncientMoose's comments:
I've just released a new variation on Ancient Frog, my pretty little puzzle game. It's called Ancient Frog Junior, and it's smaller, cheaper and easier:

Ancient Frog Jr is 99c, and comes with 20 levels (all new except the first few introductory ponds), and all of the original habitats and species. It's designed to be more of a plaything than a fiendish puzzle. The original idea was to make a version more suitable for children, but the ponds turned out to have more depth than I expected - each has an easy solution, but getting the perfect solution takes a lot more work.

It's a bit of an experiment, but if it proves popular I'll update it with new levels just as I have been with the original Ancient Frog.
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Ancient Frog Junior sound like an oxymoron.

09-18-2009, 04:08 AM
You may be right. How about 'Ancient Tadpole'?

_ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
Ancient Workshop | iPhone/iPod Touch gaming | Home of Ancient Frog
09-18-2009, 04:23 AM
I quite like it. And if the title gets someone to look who might not otherwise that can't be bad?
09-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I got this game based on playing the lite version of Ancient Frog. Ancient Frog is quite nice, I just am waiting for it to have a nice sale - maybe in conjunction with Ancient Frog Jr? $1.99?? (hint, hint)

anyways ancient frog junior is quite a nice puzzler. Graphics are done very well. The sounds seem very similar to Ancient Frog lite. I played through only the first 5 levels, and they are all pretty simple. For the non- puzzlers, this game can be nice, as the puzzle keeps tracks of your moves, but as ling as you solve it, you move on. In Ancient Frog you have to solve in a certain number of moves or you can't move on. In Jr the minimum number of moves is displayed so one can come back and attempt to solve in the minimum, but it is never required.

As in Ancient Frog lite, ther are different frogs that have different movement characteristics.

For beauty, serenity, stressless movement puzzle solving, this is a top notch app. The ability to solve without regard to move numbers, and then replay for optimal movement adds to replayability. I am hoping that difficulty will ramp up as the fist puzzles were simple and took little time, and so there is concern for number of puzzles, but if patterned on AF lite, I am sure I will be happy with this.
I highly recommend getting this if you enjoyed AF lite as I did. There is really nothing in the store that is similar to this in my knowledge and it is one of the better graphic games on this platform.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
09-19-2009, 12:23 AM
So - am I the only person to try this out? No other takers?

This is a really nice puzzle app - and no time pressures - just elegance...

09-19-2009, 12:26 AM
I actually got the Ancient Frog full version. It gets WAY too hard on some levels though

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
09-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by eggzbacon View Post
I actually got the Ancient Frog full version. It gets WAY too hard on some levels though
Well - not to try and sell you on this - but this one has no upper limit of moves you can make - as long as you get the fly - you move on - you have a potential challenge of coming back to re-do the level in the minimum number of moves. So, not as frustrating.

I'm patient waiting for AF to go on sale... Maybe I'll be an ancient frog before that happens though..