★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: More AppStore Abuse...

View Poll Results: Tagging appstore games with top 10 names to get more hits?
It's cheating! 37 80.43%
It's not cheating until you're caught 3 6.52%
It's not cheating at all 0 0%
I don't care 6 13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll
12-19-2008, 04:40 PM
More AppStore Abuse...

I just noticed this when I was doing a search for Cube (I wanted to download it again)

I ended up with a few results which seemed odd so I went ahead and did some looking...

Turns out a dev called Collect3 is doing a little cheating.

At the very bottom of of their incredibly long app description of "snap!" I see this:

"Currently Playing: koi pond, cube, animal farm, hockey, metro, photo bag, filed runners, cro-mag rally, tap tap, rolando, google, texas hold'em, adventure, ocarina, poker, kids, ibear, spore, monkey ball, crash bandicoot, pinball, trism, turkey hunt, oz weather, remote, brain tuner."

Looks like they are adding this to all their apps so they can get more people looking at their apps and potentially make a sale.

Now I understand when a dev says "for fans of blah blah blah". It helps me find games in the same genre as others I like. But random adding games from the top 10 just to get more hits? I think that crosses the line.
12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
I just noticed this when I was doing a search for Cube (I wanted to download it again)

I ended up with a few results which seemed odd so I went ahead and did some looking...

Turns out a dev called Collect3 is doing a little cheating.

At the very bottom of of their incredibly long app description of "snap!" I see this:

"Currently Playing: koi pond, cube, animal farm, hockey, metro, photo bag, filed runners, cro-mag rally, tap tap, rolando, google, texas hold'em, adventure, ocarina, poker, kids, ibear, spore, monkey ball, crash bandicoot, pinball, trism, turkey hunt, oz weather, remote, brain tuner."

Looks like they are adding this to all their apps so they can get more people looking at their apps and potentially make a sale.

Now I understand when a dev says "for fans of blah blah blah". It helps me find games in the same genre as others I like. But random adding games from the top 10 just to get more hits? I think that crosses the line.
It does, but what can be done about it?

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago

12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Not sure. Instead of scanning the entire contents perhaps devs can submit tags with their app/updates?

Then they can be reviewed for abuse. When you search for something like Field Runners, It would show that game but also another section with all the games in that genre.

Genres would of course have to be broken down further but it could work. Like Games>Strategy>Tower Defense.

Something like that maybe?
12-19-2008, 04:55 PM
This has been known for a little bit. I'm once again on my touch so I can't post the link, but slidetoplay just did an article on this too. I find it real weird and don't know why apple set it up like that.
12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
well since they did not make the game i think it's cheating. but ngmoco did the same thing only they only wrote in their own games.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
12-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Here's the Slide to Play article

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/mor...-store-tactics

and yes its cheating little devs trying to promote their crappy apps.
12-20-2008, 02:04 AM
just report the app to apple. they even just added the button on ur iphones and ipod touches for the mobile app store.
12-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
It's ceating. Especially if they have absolutely no link what-so-ever to the game. ng:moco is ok, because they have links to their own game, but the OPs eg. is just down right ridiculous!
12-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
totally scandalous

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
12-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Its like on youtube when they have stuff like "this video is not related to blah blah blah" Extremely sly.

dirty deeds and their dunderchee