Consoles: Disc vs Digital Download

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by IlluminAppti, Apr 11, 2015.

1. IlluminAppti

IlluminAppti Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Hey, guys. I've had a TON of problems, over the years with some games on my PS3 (Mainly FIFA).

There will be times when I will check the disc for any scratches etc. As the console has trouble loading the game. But, normally the discs are in great condition. Sometimes, it happens a couple of days after I've bought a game.

I'm quite old-fashioned, in a way. So, I'm used to having tangible items (games/CDs) - rather than digital downloads.

But, I would assume that I would get fewer problems if I were to download my games - rather than playing them off a disc.

Just wondering how many of you download your games, rather than buying the disc. If you've had any problems etc.

Cheers! :D

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #2 september, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Multiplayer games are good to have digitally so you don't have to swap discs, singleplayer I will usually get on disc unless cheaper digitally. These days with the PS4 you don't seem to save any space by having disc as most seem to dump everything onto the hard drive now. If your disc drive gives problems reading then there's probably an issue with it rather than the discs.

One reservation I have with digital is you only have it as long as the service is profitable and the company supports it.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I don't mind buying digital games that I think are "throwaway" games - I can play them, come back to them, but years later won't really care. Games that I think that I will like a long, long time, I get the discs for. I still have a SNES system that I use, same with N64, GBA, etc... as games are ported over, I think about getting rid of the old systems, but there are some great games that just can't be matched (Super Metroid on the SNES as an example) on any system (although I have not yet tried Axiom Verge for PS4). The disc space issue is largely rendered moot as noted, because the disc just dumps the game on the drive and is only used for "proof of purchase".

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #4 S.I.D. CrAzY, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Depends on the game for me. If its a game like The Order 1886, which I know I will play once and then never play again I will either buy on disc(so I can resell it) or rent off Gamefly.

Games like Plants vs Zombies GW or Destiny or NBA 2K15 which I know I will be going back to over and over I buy digitally. I have those games on my PS4 and I love not having to worry about getting the disc and putting it in every time I get the itch to play.

5. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    This is exactly what I do :D