★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: ZX Gamer - Spectrum Emulator

09-18-2009, 05:22 AM
ZX Gamer - Spectrum Emulator

Pretty much as the title explains, a ZX Spectrum 48k emulator for idevice. More specifically the 3Gs, which i didnt spot, so runs like an asthmatic snail on anything else like my bog standard 3G.

no excuse really, C64 emulator is much more complex and works on any device. lazy programmers grrr i hope they optimize for other devices.

its comes with 3 fairly well known games so far with promises of more to be added.

heres the devs website for a look

http://www.rogerboesch.com/zx-gamer-3gs/

ps sorry for the rushed post, will tidy up later

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014

Last edited by Acidbottle; 09-18-2009 at 08:05 AM.
09-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to christophebailleau
hi
i am very sad, because i just buy it for my ipod touch, i am in love with exolon, and i just see it doesnt work with my ipod; when can it be ok for that, i dont like to loose my money, please answer me;
christophe bailleau from belgium

09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
How much?
09-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophebailleau View Post
hi
i am very sad, because i just buy it for my ipod touch, i am in love with exolon, and i just see it doesnt work with my ipod; when can it be ok for that, i dont like to loose my money, please answer me;
christophe bailleau from belgium
Then ask Apple for a refund and they will return your money or wait for an update if they do
09-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
How much?
its 1.19 in the UK so $1.99 id imagine .. no idea on euro exchange rate off the top of ma head

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
09-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Yeah. I'd love to have this on my touch.

Rozzie
09-18-2009, 07:28 AM
The sceenshots make the control layout look pretty awful. It's putting me off buying it, much I love the good old Speccy.
09-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Blimey a blast from the past this will be,tho not getting it yet till i know what games they have in the pipeline for it.

Used to own the Speccy 48k and then the 128k and had over 200 games but sold it years ago for a ton(100),but wished i had kept it now cos loads of old classics on there that kept me entertained for hours.

Ok the graphics in most games weren't the best but the gameplay and addictive nature of a lot of them more than made up for that.I even remember having to pay a Tenner(10) for the classic Bomb Jack when it first came out,Man how things and prices of games have changed.And cant believe that people moan about games nowadays costing more than a quid or a dollar

Having to load up the games using your old cassette recorder and listening to the dreadful sounds that came out was not the best and it was pull your hair out time,when i had hair back then that is,when the game would crash half way through loading and you had to start again.But it was all good times back then.Even remember taking hours trying to make the Death March play on the computer,and annoying when you missed a bit and had to go through it all to see if you could spot the missing code.I remeber my massive joystick i used to play the games with as well ,blimey imagine playing ps3/xbox 360 with one of those old monsters.

Last edited by THE STUD; 09-18-2009 at 08:35 AM.
09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Holy cow, emulators a-poppin' lately. Awesome.

I never owned a real Speccy, but it was one of the few emulators for the Atari ST that actually worked really well on 48k Spectrums (though it only supported SNAps), so I ended up with a soft spot for Clive's little chicklet-keyed machine.

So I bought it, and here are my initial thoughts:

- Wow. The emulation is incredibly slow here -- slower than Speccy on the Atari ST, and that was an 8MHz 68000 trying to emulate a 3.5MHz Z80, so I can't even imagine why it's so slow here, especially on a 3GS. Only Batty is really playable to any degree, but even that's limited.

- The directionals don't seem to work properly; they seem to be mapped to keyboard. Sort of. They work fine in Exolon, but in Batty, fire doesn't seem to work. (Or there's no way to release the ball, you just have to wait until it releases it itself.) EDIT: Apparently you have to hit UP to release the ball. Fire pauses.

- No joystick support, only keyboard. Directional layout is rather annoying. There should be a normal D-pad with fire button and proper Kemptston emulation rather than going with keyboard.

- No virtual keyboard. Perhaps not needed right now, I suppose.

- No sound.

So far, this seems really half baked -- like a proof of concept I just paid for rather than a proper emulator. Pretty disappointing. It's got a lot of issues it needs to clear up before it's even remotely good enough to pay for.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

Last edited by Mindfield; 09-18-2009 at 08:57 AM.
09-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the impressions. Shame, as a good Speccy emulator would be nice, if only for brief nostalgia fixes.