Tips on creating hype and getting more players?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nxtboyIII, Apr 18, 2015.

1. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Hi,
    A lot of indies (including myself) struggle with getting people to get hyped for the game, and getting people to play it in general.

What are some things you do to generate hype and more players for your game?

Thanks,
    nxtboyIII

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #2 psj3809, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    I think the biggest thing is to get people to test your game. Then you get lots of ideas or even criticisms which will help improve your game from a neutral point of view

Getting your brother to post/bump/praise your game doesn't help at all and is frowned upon here as it looks very fake

Also I wouldn't be critical of other games publically. You had a comment about Drylands and the combat not being anything special. Notice how the dev didn't post in your thread to criticise your game which he could have done easily. As a dev I would be friendly to everyone !

3. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Ok, thanks! :) The thing that sucks though is when people don't even want to test the game. :( Also, about the brother thing, I didn't ask him to post about my game, he just does it, so I don't have control over what he does.

Thanks again :) (also if you want to test my games just message me :p)

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    When your app costs it is hard to get people to try.

You can offer codes to get it for free for people to try for testing purposes.

I looked at the thread and you seemed to of generated a reasonable amount of interest and seems to me the general feedback on production values being what is holding it is back is reasonable feedback. Depends if you want to put that effort to polish it.

5. imyiwei

imyiwei Member

Nov 15, 2013
    I think game trailer helps a lot.Getting a person to watch a trailer is easier than have them install and try the game.

6. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    I tend to agree with this method, the motion picture business does well with it and it should help a generate enough interest to have the viewer download it. The trick after you have a good trailer is to get enough people to see the trailer.

7. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Exactly this, we tried teasing art, teasing mechanics, showing development stuff (picture of our wall with all 100 levels posted on it.) We could have done none of that compared to how much attention Pickpawcket's trailer brought.