New developer journal

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Xammond, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Hi, I've wanted to do a journal for several years and now it is born over at GameDev.net...Xam'n'Eggs

My latest game is voxel based, it was started at the end of February and is really coming along! Focus is for the iOS version as I'm already ~set up to publish.

I did want to create a journal here at Touch Arcade but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate forum for such an ongoing post - That is without feeling like it was spamming each time... for example this developer forum or the upcoming one, both might feel like a 'bump' in a busy place (rather than a dedicated sub-forum).

Hope to see a few comments and feedback! This is an attempt to engage with the player during the development process itself.

Attached Files:

2. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I think that this is the perfect place for it. At least I hope that it is as I am doing the same thing myself.

Love the look of the art you posted. Very "Tron" like feel. Can't wait to see more. Good luck.

3. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    It is an ideal place for what I want to achieve yes. I followed a journal over there a very long time ago and was surprised how easy it was to find the section again.

Thank you very much I look forward to posting more entries as the game evolves. Though it is difficult finding an audience of course, I can only hope over time that any feedback can be a guide to making the right game...again it has taken over from the previous project, except that one is secret and this is the contrary. Cheers. Good luck with yours too! I shall keep an eye on signatures for any others on iOS.

4. Another great place for Game dev journals is TIGSource and IndiegameMag. Not as active with iOS stuff but still a good community

5. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Thanks for alternative ideas I shall try indeed as apparently my blog has zero views after 24 hours :/

6. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    You have my full support for your blog.

7. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Good of you to say, thank you.

I guess the view-counter is broken and I should try some analytic method. I just tend to code and talk though :)

8. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
  9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    maybe you want to tell a bit more about them game itself? Just looking at the screenshot i have no clue what this is about? Is this an elevator?

In general a blog is nice if you can write well structured posts that can carry over your ideas to your audience. Still i think that posting a thread in upcoming about your game is rather the right way todo it and get early feedback about your game and even get some TA members interested to test your game and give you more feedback during your developement process.

If you want your blog to act as, well lets say, marketing help you should keep your content light and don't dwell to much into technical details rather than focus about thing that might peek the interest of customers. the game, the levels, the stuff that makes it interesting, different etc. etc.

good luck

10. I'd like to think other devs care. Its a great way to share knowledge and build community. If anything its a good way to reflect.

11. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Hi mr.Ugly, thank you for the spot-on insight as usual :)

"A fast paced destructable platformer" is what it is becoming!

Probably just the blue voxels (which you mention) would be indestructable! I did have a thought about using them as guides for some sort of lift / window cleaner system.

And that was the thing, I thought random people would comment random things which would help to determine the gameplay and style. In a way this has happened but it is taking a lot of disipline to hear. For example; someone asked if it was a platformer and at the time it was a flight sim. Feedback was more seeing how popular images were, it turns out the more abstract one was the most popular. While the characters model of my daughter went down a lot better than my current avatar :D Other feedback guided me to go for bigger scifi style characters which I am yet to further explore.

Well structured posts...um pass!

I don't think it was publicity as the same amount of effort and reveal could be used for a fundraiser but I don't dig them. I just enjoy the process of making games - though I do have to hurry up on this one!

Yeah it would be great if the Touch Arcade team get to check it out some time. I shall have to get something more playable and less technical together and start reaching out to individuals instead.

Thanks anyone who did find the journal idea interesting to follow, but it doesn't have any momentum to focus on and I can push other areas while getting somewhere!

12. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    A very good point, and one which I have been giving a lot of thought to for the future. I would like to have the journal do both of those things in-particular, that is to explain the complex yet elegant methods, and to reflect on the make-and-show process.

I don't have any regrets doing this, it is the next best thing to running a developer stream - which could happen one day indeed.

13. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Of all your projects thus far (Xammond / Zenout) - this one is the most visually appealing! I agree with the other commenter on the tron-vibe.

I'm not sure I understand the point of the blog yet, seeing as tho it's only an introduction, but if the content is relevant to me I'll definitely follow along. If not, there's always a game thread (when you make that).

14. Xammond

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    Hi Blackharon, I probably should have done this with last year's 'secret project' but cheers very much! I'm releaved the game appears to be accepted.

The Tron-vibe seems to compliment this one the most. I guess the original movie and arcade machine would have been the first time that I really believed in computer universes, it has rubbed off on me to this day.

Agreed about the blog, it was another feeler plus trying to keep things in one place. I decided not to make an early game-thread here because last time I did so was too early. It would be wonderful to have this audience but I think that they expect a game to be much closer to release. Though i still think that a dedicated sub-forum here would prove popular, even though it is iOS orientated and the game is for all. So yeah I will update it (the journal/blog) but there is no feeling at all of any urgency to do so, chances are that game-thread will come along first but don't hold your breath just yet, I'm at the point where it feels like I'm providing cloners with ammunition but still wondering how to survive and get to the end, while the development process is the easy part :)