A little Post Mortem from my game Don't Get Wet

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MrLeQuack, Apr 22, 2015.

1. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

I decided to make a post mortem for my game, it was originally posted on reddit since reddit helped a lot when I launched the game.
    Anyway, here is the full story: http://imgur.com/a/0ySWT hopefully you will enjoy it.
    Cheers.

2. David_Don_13

David_Don_13 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Ireland
    Congrats

Hey man,

Just posting to say well done!! You have a great story. My brother and I are working on our first game and would be thrilled to reach your level of success so quickly. We've been in development for 8 months (was supposed to be a simple 3 month project!!!). The stress levels are high so it is great to see a story like this :)

3. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Good Stuffh

4. cbecks_noble

cbecks_noble Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2015
    pixel pusher @ cwade games
    Coquitlam BC
    Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time.

5. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you for posting. So how much did you earn in the graph posted, I estimate about 8-10k? Is that correct? How much was from ads vs people upgrading?

It's funny others see this as a victory. I see it as quite disgusting, a game so well received and even featured makes this little, it just shows you how tough the game business is. It's hard to compete with millions of others doing it for free or at a complete loss.

6. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

@Rasterman Haha, yeah, I would say the same, maybe I would not put it that harsh, because, most games don't make 5k, and yeah it is a tough business. Nevertheless the game did make around 15k which is not bat at all especially for a month of work, but I must say it could have been a lot better monetised, the ads were very rare since I did not want them to be annoying, also I did not want banner ads from the same reason. Revenue ratio was 20%-80% inapps-ads.

7. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    Oh I didn't know your development time was one month, that helps a little I guess. I see you have two people on your team, so $7k per person for one months work, and I'm sure you will gain that again over the next year. But, as I'm sure you know, had you not been featured by Apple how much would you have made, maybe a few thousand, now all of the sudden you are broke. Being featured by Apple is only luck and is not a valid business plan if you like to eat. This should be a great lesson to others, stick to programming databases.