★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Correct landscape orientation

12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Correct landscape orientation

I have several games with landscape orientation where the Home button is on the left and only on the left. This makes playing on a touch with headphones more difficult. I understand that the iPhone is exactly opposite but developers should design their games where it can be played in either direction.
12-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Definitely agree. Home button on the left is very awkward for ipod touch because of the headphone.

12-19-2008, 08:40 PM
I agree

It's easy to tell what device the dev used to program when landscape is locked to one orientation like that.

I really want apple to force devs into one landscape mode. Then they can add a simple slider in the settings menu that says Ipod/Iphone. Then the device will flip all videos, apps, and games. Everyone will get what they want. Even devs won't have to implement orientation sensing which eats up battery life.
12-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Gameloft does it well, although I find I have problems with it (like with most accelerometer apps) while laying in bed.
12-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree, the game should flip to whatever direction it is being held at the moment. Asphalt seems to do this, as does bike or die 2. Others (fastlane i think) default to one direction.
12-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Quote:
Originally Posted by czh View Post
Definitely agree. Home button on the left is very awkward for ipod touch because of the headphone.
That is true, however on more than one occasion I've come very close to squeezing the top button with the inside of my left hand while holding in this orientation - can't remember what game it was that made me play so intensely. But yeah, I don't normally play with headphones, so hadn't noticed that this is the best way round for touch users such as myself.
12-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah... Gamevil's baseball game really needs this...

Frighftully good
12-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I never play games with headphones, but I naturally always turn my iPod so the headphone jack is on the bottom, and the home button is on the left. I never really noticed this. Is anyone else a lefty here? Maybe that may have something to do with it? Or maybe I'm just odd?
12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
I never play games with headphones, but I naturally always turn my iPod so the headphone jack is on the bottom, and the home button is on the left. I never really noticed this. Is anyone else a lefty here? Maybe that may have something to do with it? Or maybe I'm just odd?
I'm right handed and I turn the other way (3.5mm jack on top). Prob does have something to do with it.