Android Section

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by klink, Apr 23, 2015.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    So maybe I'm totally crazy. Is the Android section on Touch Arcade new or has it always been here? Can iOS and Android gamers live peacefully together or is the relationship doomed? Finally, what exactly was hidden at Area 51 for all those years?

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It's been there for just over two years. :p

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Most of the games listed there make me totally love my decision to stick with iOS and not move to Android ! Way to much shovelware on Android

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    To be fair, as someone who browses through the daily App Store releases every other day... HOLY JESUS H CHRIST is there a TON of complete and utter tripe release daily.

Overall though, I think it doesn't matter beyond personal preference. Most of the good stuff is released on both platforms.

5. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    #5 Elsa, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Yes.

No and no.

Yes. All those who argue about android vs iOS are filthy casuals who play crappy minigames and still have their background set on default while whining how the other platform is worse because it doesn't allow customization or lacks in performance. They are completely oblivious of rooting/jailbreaking and have no idea what games their 4Gb RAM, quad-code devices are capable of running outside of crappy minigames.

Besides, more and more new games that get released are multi-platform.

UFOs that are being reverse engineered, alien autopsies, interviews with intelligent extra-terrestrial reptilians, weapons/time machines being built from plans found on an alien equivalent of a Voyager I golden disc, you name it. It's just a military aircraft/weaponry test facility though, but there are tons of people with allegedly backed up sources who can tell you otherwise.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Perhaps because it just isnt shown here. The Android section here doesnt seem to show the best what Android has to offer.

I'm glad i've stuck with iOS as i firmly believe it gets the best games, the amount of revenue devs make on iOS compared to Android just doesnt compare.

Of course i love Android for emulation and being able to play say Quake II or Jedi Knight on my tablet though. But theres so much tripe out there , endless flappy bird clones (still), terrible free games which would probably get turned down by Apple thankfully

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I saw at least seven of those in both today's and yesterday's cycle.

Also, since when does Apple reject apps based on quality?

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Good grief, I'm going back to bed. Thanks everyone for your reply.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha yeah, the Android section on Touch Arcade is in no way representative of what Android has to offer. I don't even have an Android and I'm fairly certain of that.

Just no one really comes to TA to promote an Adroid game if it's actually worth a damn because there's far better places to go than an iOS gaming site

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To be fair its not probably many we hear about (most devs probably wouldnt want to admit it)

Remember that kid agessssss ago who tried to create a 'gameboy' style platformer. Colours were garish, controls werent straight and looked shoddy. He seemed to think he had a huge seller on his hands. There were some great threads with him ! He eventually got banned from here but tried coming back with a new account (also banned)

I remember he went to put the game through to the app store and got rejected by Apple as basically his app was crap (Saying that a lot of crap gets through).

11. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Actually...

Quote from: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=222450

I just wish Apple was more consistent and wouldn't allow to publish all those 100.000 flappy bird clones for the same reason.

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Eh, that is so subjective I would say it's not even worth mentioning.

As a side note, if Apple don't provide their own calculator app on the iPad, they should keep their big mouth shut.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I use android mainly but I don't think it really compares to the IOS gaming scene very well, I think the strongest thing Apple has going for it is the App store and I'd actually class Google Play as Androids weak link it's almost impossible to find anything unless you know exactly what you are looking for by name.

That said there are decent games but they are hard to find and usually iTunes had them first things like Grand Theft Auto and Galaxy on Fire 2 come to mind.

I think we can all get along fine especially as from what I can see Android users seem to spend their time these days fighting between different OEM's rather than Apple it's weird it's like Nexus/Google fans hate everything, HTC fans hate Samsung, Samsung hates HTC, etc

In terms of features I think Apples almost caught up and like I said the App Store has always been the big strength.

14. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Agreed!

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I agree that the best thing Apple has going for it is the App Store and also someone said the Android section here doesn't show the best that Android has to offer, which is totally true as well! Also that Google Play is so convoluted it's hard to find specific items a lot of times. Tell you what, though. If they ever get their act together and do a good job of copying the way Apple does that, there'll be a lot more parity between the two. Their catalog is surprisingly deep.

16. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I agree. It's mostly desperate developers looking for a place to promote their crappy games for free. Android has a fair amount of good games that don't make it over to iOS. But iOS definitely has far more quality games than android. Even the really "good games" on android exclusively tend to lack a lot of polish.

17. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    You serious? What a completely ignorant and ridiculous thing to say! Gave me a good laugh, though. :rolleyes:

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I don't understand..what are you referring to?

Yes I was serious. How does ignorance come up about a subjective sentence?

19. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    "a subjective sentence" haha, nice one.

There's no need to belittle the android store, especially since we are all benefiting from it and a lot of mobile games are becoming cross-platform anyway.

20. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #20 bigrand1, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Nice try, but it's easy to find ignorance and ridiculousness in a subjective sentence, as you put it, since what you said in the two sentences I mentioned was all opinion, with no factual basis to it! That's the point. It's that simple.:rolleyes: