★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: This is the original version of the Drag Racer game
on the iPhone/iPod Touch. For the most
up to date drag racing action, try
"Drag Racer : Pro Tuner" or "Drag Racer World"

Race, Customize and Upgrade your favorite cars in this adaptation of the old Drag Racer games.

- 25+ Cars to Customize
- Each Car with all new custom parts
- Unlimited customization
- 24 Different Tournaments, 30 Challenges to compete in
- Loads of Performance Parts

New Menus, new controls and vamped up graphics

=== Game Tips ===

===== Tips for the new controls :
- Tap & Hold the Gas Button to go forward
- Hit the gas too early, and the car will burnout
- Hit the gas at the right time, and the car will launch forward

- When the RPM meter reaches about 6k RPM, the red light will turn on, this is the best time to shift gears
- To Shift, Click and drag the shifter to the next appropriate gear (think like a standard transmission car)
- If you don't know how to drive stick, read the numbers on the gear shifter, this should give you an idea where to go, (first down, then right and up, then down, then right and up, then down)
- For the trickier gears (2 to 3 & 4 to 5) try to move the gear shifter slower and move directly to the number
- the gear can't always be "thrown" or "slapped" into gear, so holding the gear shift as it goes into the gear helps, you can keep your finger on the gear shifter at all times while your racing

===== Tips with Gameplay :
- if you start with a high number in a stat, that stat will grow quicker with upgrades (a car with high HP will have a higher maximum HP)
- Keep your weight down as you upgrade (use weight reduction) as this effects how quickly your car goes in the lower RPMs
- Use cars with Higher TQ & Lightweight for 400m races, use cars with Higher HP for 2500m races
- When your in the middle of a tourney, you can leave, do some quick races, make some money, upgrade your car, then return to the tournament. If you lose a race however, you lose the tournament.

====================================

Have Fun & Customize your cars! More cars are on the way, as well as more challenges & tournaments.

Follow us on Twitter: @xmgstudio http://www.twitter.com/xmgstudio Become a Fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/xmgstudio

MidianGTX's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Gameplay videos:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up
09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Initial impressions from the other topic:

I think it's safe to say that Drag Racer: Perfect Run leaves every other App Store drag game in it's dust. It wasn't a very populated genre in the first place, but DR:PR sets the bar high out of reach. Anyone who's played the flash game will instantly feel at home here, the interface and general setup have changed slightly, but definitely for the better. Personally I was always a little lost trying to navigate the menus on Drag Racer 3, but Perfect Run's menus are clear, simple and easily the best-looking of the series to date. The cars (as usual) are all lovingly detailed and offer a good amount of both performance and cosmetic upgrades.

As far as general improvements go, there are a couple of small things I'd like to see in an update. I'd like the name of the car to be displayed on it's stats screen, at the moment when I'm browsing my garage it seems the only way to tell which car I'm looking at is to get in it. It's not a huge detail but it would make switching between cars that little bit easier.

Secondly, I'm not too fond of the background during a race. It seems slightly strange to have photorealistic scenery when the rest of the game is all done with vector graphics. I think it would also help with the sense of speed if it were drawn instead, as when you reached a certain speed it could switch to a slightly more blurred version of the background rather than just trying to scroll it faster. It's probably an iPhone limitation that prevents it from really looking as fast as it could, so some visual tricks could be used in order to make it look more convincing.

Lastly, the gear stick. It's perhaps the biggest change when moving to the iPhone game from the flash games, and it may divide some players. Personally I think it works pretty well and it's definitely more fun than using arrow keys, but a couple of times while racing I've had problems getting it to go where I want to. I'm not suggesting a complete change, but it'd be nice if the devs could mess with it a bit to see if they can make it slightly more forgiving. Maybe even an option where you don't have to touch the stick itself, but can just trace the correct shape anywhere on the screen (other than the pedal obviously) to change gears? I've got small fingers but I'm thinking other people might not be so lucky in that respect and it'd help them out a lot.

Overall it's a solid game, anyone who's enjoyed the previous games should have no complaints, and anyone who hasn't but has even the slightest interest in drag racing should definitely give it a try. I seem to have written mostly about improvements here, but even so they are only minor annoyances and fixing them would definitely add to the polish of the game. This is actually the first game in the series I've played for more than a few minutes, and already I'm feeling the addiction, it's very much a "just one more race..." kind of game.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
My itouch just reset itself and isnt going back on when i tried to play it :'(

works now! dont know what happened.

Last edited by marc512; 09-18-2009 at 02:44 PM.
09-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Can't DL for touch 1g... Need a mic -_-

Artist and dev for Team Dropkick
09-18-2009, 03:22 PM
ok, so cool idea. BUT:
  • the speeds are completely out of whack. if i climb into a stock honda civic on a drag strip & floor it, i damn well better get to "50 mph" a helluvalot faster than 14 seconds.
  • i've got an iPhone 3GS. there's no reason a game with graphics as simple as this should graphically stutter, unless you've somehow sneaked a flash player into the app store and this is running your raw flash version. when i get towards the end of a race, whether the other car is on the screen or not, the game slows noticeably, to the point where to shift from 5 -> 6, i have to shift horribly slow so the game catches the input.

now for a real suggestion: offer up the stats of opponent vehicles in the quick race, or at least the upgrade level of the various components.
09-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minameismud View Post
ok, so cool idea. BUT:
  • the speeds are completely out of whack. if i climb into a stock honda civic on a drag strip & floor it, i damn well better get to "50 mph" a helluvalot faster than 14 seconds.
  • i've got an iPhone 3GS. there's no reason a game with graphics as simple as this should graphically stutter, unless you've somehow sneaked a flash player into the app store and this is running your raw flash version. when i get towards the end of a race, whether the other car is on the screen or not, the game slows noticeably, to the point where to shift from 5 -> 6, i have to shift horribly slow so the game catches the input.

now for a real suggestion: offer up the stats of opponent vehicles in the quick race, or at least the upgrade level of the various components.
I haven't noticed any stuttering on my iPod Touch 2G... maybe I'm just missing it though. As for the 5 > 6 switching, I noticed that too at first, but the game description says "- the gear can't always be "thrown" or "slapped" into gear, so holding the gear shift as it goes into the gear helps, you can keep your finger on the gear shifter at all times while your racing" which makes me think there's something intentional about it. Luckily the dev is around here somewhere so he should be able to shed some light on it.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
09-18-2009, 03:30 PM
09-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I played it on my iphone 3g and it runs flawless and smoothly. the only one problem is that its to fun but thats not a problem, so there are no problems lol

Ferrari GTPocket GodMobile GunsNFS:UndercoverSky BurgerF&F4Asphalt 4RacerReal RacingMinigoreDrag Racer v4: Perfect RunUnreal TrailBoost 3DJetCarStuntsRally Master ProF.A.S.TLabyrinth 2ATV OffroadNFS:ShiftCanabaltF&F:Pink Slips
Waiting For:CogsHardGoreGuerilla BobK-Rally
09-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks arta, added to first post.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
09-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Runs smooth with great customization! I really like the use of the gear shift and accelerator. Smart (and fun) use of the touch screen! Highly recommended.