★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Asteroids and comets raining from the sky! Alien invaders shooting and bombing our cities into oblivion! What are we going to do?! YOU must take charge of the planets defenses. Intercept these threats and save us all!

HOW TO PLAY :

Designed specifically for your iPhone or iPod Touchs touch screen, controlling the planetary defense systems couldnt be easier. Just touch the screen to get a target reticle, point where you want to fire, and release! Its just that easy. You can even tap in rapid succession to barrage an area with weapons fire. Be warned though, your ammunition is not unlimited. Youll probably end up wanting to recharge your supplies after almost every round, and, of course, its all coming out of your pay too. Dont worry though, there will be plenty of opportunities to score big, and well even help you out by rebuilding a city or two that might get destroyed free of charge. Just make sure one survives though, because if theres no one left to build anything, its game over.

-------------------------------------

Remember when arcade games where just lines on a screen. The games were simple, but the action intense. They were hard, they were fun, and there were no continues.
Interception captures that retro arcade experience but includes the features you expect of games today. All rendered in a classic vector style.

INTERCEPTION FEATURES :

- Multiple Enemy Types : Just when you thought you saw them all, a new one drops in. Some of them may require more than a single hit to eliminate.

- 100 rounds of fun! (If your idea of fun is frantically trying to avert global catastrophe)

- Weapon Power-Ups : Youll need to invest your funds (Score) into more ammunition, and more powerful weapons if you want to survive. There are 8 weapon upgrades in all.

- Multiple levels of difficulty : Think Normal mode is too easy? Try Master mode where missile type weapons only detonate where you target them, and enemies get tougher much quicker.

- Combo System : Combos truly are your key to victory. Hit more than one enemy with the same projectile, and youll score a multiplier for ALL enemies you hit with that projectile! Hit two, and you double your score for both. Hit 3 and triple it! Hit 9 and youll be rolling in dough. Maybe even get enough for that shiny new ***** ****** youve always wanted.

- Bonus stages : Bonus stages end fast but you have infinite ammo, so shoot those UFOs before time runs out.

- Bosses : Theyre what we call planet killers. Also, weve detected something else out there. . . and its big. . .

- - - - - - - - - - Notes - - - - - - - - - -
Interception 1.1 HAS been uploaded for review, and customers should have access to it shortly. It corrects all our outstanding bugs, and adds the the following features.

- Fixed "Shield Bug", where shields would not re-spawn correctly after resuming a game in progress.

- Fixed "Dud Rocket Bug", where rockets would occasionally vanish from play without exploding.

- Added vibration (for devices that support it) when cities are destroyed.

- Added numerous minor speed enhancements.

- Added high score ticker on the title screen as a temporary measure. We initially wanted online scorekeeping, but have been delayed in selecting a service or rolling our own. We've now decided to go with Open Feint, and version 1.2 of Interception will feature myriad achievements, as well as online leader boards!!! We're all very excited about finally getting online scoring, so it shouldn't be long.

Fireball Studios is interested in your feedback. E-Mail us at interception@fireball-studios.net or visit our website and forum at www.fireball-studios.net for support and information.

Thanks for playing!
09-18-2009, 09:54 PM
INTERCEPTION, Brings Retro Flavor to Touch-Screen Gaming World

Purchase INTERCEPTION from the App Store

Plymouth County, MA--September 19, 2009

Imagine asteroids and comets raining from the sky. Aliens and their mother ships shooting and bombing cities into oblivion. All the excitement the of arcade games of oldbut now in the palm of your hand.

Fireball Studios is pleased to introduce Interception, a new game designed specifically for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Interception combines the ease of touch screen control with the fun of retro arcade style gaming to bring back the nostalgic days of alien invasions and space commanders.

Filled with multiple levels of difficulty and 100 stages of game play, including bonus rounds and bosses, Interception is a fun-filled game with never-ending surprises, all rendered in a classic vector style. As the game advances in difficulty, players must invest their score/funds to upgrade their weapons and replenish their ammunition to successfully prevent world dominance by the extraterrestrial invaders.

Available in the App Store for iPhone and iPod Touch NOW!!! Interception is sure to take players back in time with its retro style and carefully-composed period-tech background music and sound effects, while at the same time providing the features users expect out of todays game software.

The following are links to download Interception & view game play videos:

Purchase INTERCEPTION from the App Store
Space video
Asteroids and Aliens video

About Fireball Studios:

Fireball Studios is a new independent entertainment software developer based in Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Founded on the determination and desire to bring not only great games, but great experiences to the iPhone and iPod Touch platforms. Fireball Studios mission is to create unique titles and original material that every iPhone user will enjoy.

For more information, visit:
www.fireball-studios.net
Jason Verkaart, Creator and Founder
Fireball Studios
press@fireball-studios.net

For professional reviewers and review sites, please contact Fireball Studios marketing at marketing@fireball-studios.net for a promotional code. Please be sure that you include your site URL, and/or previous review works so that we can validate your request.

09-18-2009, 09:58 PM
now that looks cool, retro graphics, and it looks like missile command meets asteroids, neat!

here's the videos embedded

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
09-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I agree. I'm a real sucker for retro arcade games, and those videos look really good. Going to have to give this one a try. (at $1.99, it's probably a good deal).

If anyone buys it before me, please post comments.

SS
09-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Hello,
I would just like to reiterate:

For professional reviewers and review sites, please contact Fireball Studios marketing at marketing@fireball-studios.net for a promotional code. Please be sure that you include your site URL, and/or previous review works so that we can validate your request.
09-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, I finally broke down and bought this. Wanted to let everyone know what I thought. This isn't an official review or anything, I've not been able to complete half of the game yet. Just my initial impressions.

The description on this is pretty much dead on. This is an action arcade game in the vein of missile command, but has a lot more going for it that just rockets. It starts out slow, (first round is dead slow), but picks up pretty quickly, and just as they said, gets really REALLY hard.

One thing that threw me is the fact that you have to purchase more ammunition almost every round. To do that you use the only currency you've got (your score), so it's really in your best interest to score big and conserve ammunition. The best way to do that is to get multipliers (hit more than one enemy with the same rocket or laser etc.) You also use your score to upgrade your weapons. And this is where it gets cool.

You start out with generic little rockets. They move real slow, but even on the first round you can earn enough to get the next level. They move faster, and have a larger blast radius (allowing you to more easily get those multipliers). In all there are 4 levels of rockets and then you get into the good stuff. At the fifth level, they start giving you laser weapons, and although you seem to lose some of the blast radius, these rip through multiple enemies in a straight line, so you can build up big multipliers pretty fast. There's a trade off there though, because the low level lasers don't seem to do as much damage as the highest level rockets. You end up using a LOT of ammo, and really need to keep track of your stock.

I need to say something about the graphics, but can't figure out a good segue into that topic, so I'll just start here. Graphics are pretty good. . . Not great, certainly better than a LOT of other iPhone games, but they're not XBox quality or anything. I guess the developer was really going for that retro look, because it really has a classic vector style. That's just not as flashy as everything else out there these days. There are a LOT of particle effects though. Every explosion, rocket trail, the comets, and those bonus UFOs, they all emit little particles of one kind or another. And every object shatters into it's component vector lines when it gets hit. The bosses especially. I've only seen one at lvl 25, a giant rock that descends slowly at you and when you hit it, it gets pushed back a bit and pieces break off that you have to hit too. It fills the screen with giant purple lines. A real light show! It's hard too. If you haven't upgraded to the fourth level of rockets, you'll have a hard time beating it. With all those particle effects, it sometimes seems to slow down a little. Nothing major, and I've never seen it lock up like a lot of other games, but my first generation iPod Touch has a bit of a hard time with the bonus stages. Of course I'm throwing 18 billion rockets up to splash those UFOs, but that's what you get for giving me unlimited ammo. I bet if I had a newer iPhone, it would be smooth, but I can't honestly say. (someone else with one comment please?)

As I said, I've not even gotten half way through the stated "100 levels", as my best is lvl 43. It's a pretty addicting game though. I'll die, get frustrated with it and put it away, only to come back again for more punishment a few hours later. If it's this hard now, I can't imagine what's coming later. . . Certainly worth the US$1.99, and probably more. Anyway, color me happy with my purchase. If you're into retro arcade, vector games, missile command, or just want something that will really challenge you, this is a great buy. There's really nothing else that I've found like it on the app store.

SS
09-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Maybe I'm being too picky... but the shapes don't seem to glow enough.

I feel if you're gonna do the neon glow effect you should go full out:

Otherwise just keep the vector style clean with no glow at all:

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
09-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't know how you're doing it SoulSilver, but I have not been able to break into the teens on this game. I keep having to spend all my money on ammo and cannot save for upgrades and this is after I have tried to ultra conservative with the hits.

Argh.

+1 though. The retro graphics and sounds are very nice and the difficulty definitely ramps up quickly.

One thing that I do not like is that the game does not save your highest score and level reached. There are stats for # of games played, weapons fired, and objects destroyed...but no high score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.

Last edited by Devilishly Good; 09-22-2009 at 09:56 PM.
09-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the impressions soulsilver.

I don't want to produce another pointless one liner but I really like that second screenshot.

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-22-2009, 10:55 PM
@MidianGTX
Yeah, I agree that it would be cooler with a little more glow. With all the action on the screen, I would imagine it would get pretty overwhelming though. There are a number of times where the screen gets filled with objects already.

@Devilishly Good
sorry, but I laughed a bit at your comment. It IS pretty hard, but once you get the hang of it, it's not really that bad. At least the first 30 stages or so. Really need to learn to lead your targets. Maybe someone can post a "how to" video.

@skyye06
That second one (I think what you're talking about) is a still from the first boss (lvl 25). That's the one I fought, and still frames don't do it justice. It's just this massive purple moon, but it's relentlessly falling on you, and throws off a ton of particles, and littler asteroids when you hit it. I start out just throwing a ton of rockets at it's center, and that fills the screen with purple particle lines, but then I end up not being able to see the other pieces raining down, so I have to stop. It's really a balancing act, but not really too hard (as bosses go). I also went back and looked at their youtube movies again, there's a really quick clip in the "Asteroids and Aliens" one that shows some other boss at 26 seconds in, just shooting these streams of bullets directly at your cities. Looks almost like some Japanese bullet hell shooter. I'm afraid of that one!