★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sword of Xolan (by Dev of Manuganu Series) Goblin Sword-esque Adventure/Platformer

05-11-2015, 01:45 AM
Sword of Xolan (by Dev of Manuganu Series) Goblin Sword-esque Adventure/Platformer

From the developer of the Manuganu series that I personally really enjoyed, is Sword of Xolan. It's an authentically retro-styled adventure platformer with all the lovely stuff that entails. It's already been enjoyable enough that I'd say to anyone that enjoys the genre, that they should definitely consider picking it up. Anyway, I'll play some more, get some detailed impressions down and come back to the thread, if you have any questions let me know! This is the information I have on the game itself:

AppName : Sword Of Xolan
Genre : Action - Role Playing
Platform : iOS
Release Date : May 21, 2015
Price : $0.99
Developer : Alper Sarıkaya

- 30 Handcrafted Adventure Levels

- 9 Time-Based Challenge Levels

- 3 "End Of Act" Bosses

- Over 30 different Enemies like: Zombies, Giants and Flying Creatures

- 10 Unique Game-Cards to improve Xolan's skill

- Customizable Touch Controls

- MFI Controller Support

- 19 GameCenter Achievements

- Original Soundtrack by Burak Karakaş

- Premium Game without IAP or Ads

05-11-2015, 02:09 AM
WOW! I mean.... WOW!

05-11-2015, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
WOW! I mean.... WOW!
Yeah, this seriously looks like Game of the Year material. It's too early to say but this seriously looks like it could go toe to toe with Goblin Sword as one of the quintessential iOS platformers.

Also, the Manuganu games were THE shit.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
05-11-2015, 02:28 AM
Looks great. Roll on late May !
05-11-2015, 04:12 AM
Looks amazing, and if this just can tickle the very high bar of Goblin Sword slightly from inderneath, i'm a very happy day one customer. Of course i'm hoping it to be on par, at least. Trying to stay calm and not getting hyped
05-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Couldn't be anymore excited. Old school looking platformer that's premium and no IAP or BS....

SOLD
05-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Managed to get a copy of this. VERY impressed. Love platformers and retro graphics. Plays very well. Would love to press fire and after a few seconds you go down a level (like ravenous games) instead of swiping but it's not a major problem

Very impressed with the graphics. Gameplay is great with hidden areas etc

Highly recommended
05-11-2015, 08:20 AM
^^^ lucky you, and great to read: highly recommended. Glad i'm having enough other games, otherwise i could find some time to get jealous, lol.
05-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Managed to get a copy of this. VERY impressed. Love platformers and retro graphics. Plays very well. Would love to press fire and after a few seconds you go down a level (like ravenous games) instead of swiping but it's not a major problem

Very impressed with the graphics. Gameplay is great with hidden areas etc

Highly recommended
Since I'm off tomorrow, I'll have a detailed write-up about the game ready. Just want to say that if you love platformers, you'll absolutely love this. It's a lot like Goblin Sword in a few ways, but it's got an identity of its own. It's a wonderful little game, with flawless controls.

Oh, and of course metalcasket disagreeing with psj: I much prefer the swipe to go down gesture rather than having to hold down the jump button and looking like an idiot by jumping in the air before descending.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
05-11-2015, 08:29 AM
I'm so glad others are enjoying this, I always worry I'll be the only one!

It's a really nice chunky game, if that makes sense. The attacks feel really weighty and the jumping is lovely and precise. With each enemy taking two or three hits, I enjoy the "battles" more than many other platformers. It's an absolute steal for 99c with no IAPs, that I'm entirely sure of.

Great to see it get picked up by Pocket Gamer too (with the same three pics I chose, what a coincidence :P ), I'm amazed it got this close to the release before it was revealed - I'd have quite happily been hyped for months for this one

On a sidenote, the developer is one of the nicest guys I've dealt with in gaming. I've never been thanked so much for being given a free game, I really hope he does well with this.