★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: AlphaBattle released

09-19-2009, 05:10 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to JuncoPartner
AlphaBattle released

Armed only with your vocabulary, brain power and reactions, have you got what it takes to face the clock and clear the blocks in the word game that knows no defeat?

Make the best and longest words with the letters available, as fast as you can, before the Vowels and Consonants reach the touch line and become unavailable.

AlphaBattle combines your word skills from games like Scrabble and Wurdle with your quick thinking and strategic reasoning from games like Tetris and Bejeweled, and adds some intuitive power-ups to the mix, to create a new and unique word puzzle game.

09-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Here is the YouTube video aswell

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by DaveMc99; 09-19-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: embed video

09-20-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm really having alot of fun with this, as far as word games go, this finally does something truly different. Still want to spend more time with it before formally reviewing but I did have some early feedback:

Because it requires quick thinking and quicker fingers, would it be possible to make the "slide to submit" and "slide to clear" functions applicable to the whole screen? That way you don't have to move your eyes around the screen to pick out letters & to submit them (I also noticed that having the submit area at the top leads to some fumbly moments when submitting the word doesn't seem to work as my thumb wasn't right on it).

My only real gripe so far! Though maybe a more lenient cascade speed across the easier difficulty levels may be an idea too, as it's quite gruelling at times.

Anyway, back to it for me
09-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn View Post
Because it requires quick thinking and quicker fingers, would it be possible to make the "slide to submit" and "slide to clear" functions applicable to the whole screen? That way you don't have to move your eyes around the screen to pick out letters & to submit them (I also noticed that having the submit area at the top leads to some fumbly moments when submitting the word doesn't seem to work as my thumb wasn't right on it).
I like this idea a lot actually, makes a lot of sense. It is on my list of things to try/do for the next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn View Post
Though maybe a more lenient cascade speed across the easier difficulty levels may be an idea too, as it's quite gruelling at times.
I think the first few times you play the game, regardless of difficulty level, it is can be very tricky to beat the clock. However once you have played a few rounds and are more familiar with the game I think the timer levels work really well. It really pays to use the power ups at the right time etc.
10-01-2009, 07:18 AM
From now until Monday only AlphaBattle has been made FREE in the iTunes store!

What possible reason could you have for not checking it out now!

iTunes

web

YouTube
10-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuncoPartner View Post
From now until Monday only AlphaBattle has been made FREE in the iTunes store!

What possible reason could you have for not checking it out now!

iTunes

web

YouTube
Love your challenge games...I'll check it out immediately.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
10-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Downloaded and played. You guys are great developers! It's hard to find a word game that's unique, and you sure did that. There's a real element of "beat the clock" on this, and having the letters actually creep towards each other is much more nerve racking (thus effective) than simply having a clock countdown your time. Great global leaderboards and achievements make this a game you'd be crazy not to download for FREE! I'll leave a good review on iTunes...thanks again for the special free offer, and for being an active dev on TA.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
10-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks a million! Glad you are enjoying it!

We've a lot of faith in the game but as with all things AppStore getting it noticed is the hardest part. Hopefully with the free offer word will spread and it might gain a little traction. Would be devastating for us if it never took off but we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Downloaded and played. You guys are great developers! It's hard to find a word game that's unique, and you sure did that. There's a real element of "beat the clock" on this, and having the letters actually creep towards each other is much more nerve racking (thus effective) than simply having a clock countdown your time. Great global leaderboards and achievements make this a game you'd be crazy not to download for FREE! I'll leave a good review on iTunes...thanks again for the special free offer, and for being an active dev on TA.
10-21-2009, 04:43 PM
there's now a Lite to try

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=334615816&mt=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Now 99 cents.