★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game started at 2nd page - Looking for suggestion

09-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Game started at 2nd page - Looking for suggestion

I really want to cry now, I know this may happen to many developer here, but really don't want to see that on my first game "SkyDodge".

I receive the "Ready for Sale" email from Apple this morning, but I cannot found the game is on AppStore for about 10 hours.... Then, finally.... I found that it is on the SECOND PAGE of the game sub-category!!!

How come I will get into SECOND PAGE when it is just launch??? I really don't understand.

Hmmm.... So sad... because I know the exposure chance of my game will be more and more less... and the worse thing is that I START from the SECOND PAGE...

What can I do now? Wait for the chance of exposure on next update? Or next game....

My iPhone Games: Jewel Frenzy | FLICK THE FISH
09-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
This probably isn't the forum to be talking about this, but when your game gets accepted you need to go into iTunes Connect and set the release date (under pricing) to the day you get the email. Also, games are sorted alphabetically within a release day. Starting with "Z" will get you pushed off.

Also, today there was an unusual glitch in the AppStore which caused a ton of games to be delayed 15+ hours and then all release at once.

Josh Rosen
Developed Above & Beyond Air Combat (Now Available!)
Developed: SciFly
Twitter: @jshmrsn

09-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks jshmrsn, I had already set the release date once I get the email from Apple.

You are right, my game name is started with "S", so it placed after many other games... But I really think it should be sorted by "Release Date", this will be more fair to everyone... Is this only happen in Game section?

09-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Same thing happened to me yesterday with Surf Shark, except it was even worse yesterday.

A lot of apps have suddenly been approved in the last couple of days. So we're caught in the flood, even though the release dates are good.
09-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsApp View Post
Thanks jshmrsn, I had already set the release date once I get the email from Apple.

You are right, my game name is started with "S", so it placed after many other games... But I really think it should be sorted by "Release Date", this will be more fair to everyone... Is this only happen in Game section?
It is sorted by release date, and works the same in every category. In my sub category alone, there were 110 releases yesterday. Because my app starts with a 'T', that put me around #105, in the list for Sept. 18th. I doubt they're recording the hour something was released, so sorting alphabetically by day is the only reasonable option.

It's not usually this bad, as yesterday was very uncommon. However, do not be surprised if you are always pushed to the end of the first page on updates, since you are an 'S' game.
09-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Arts View Post
Same thing happened to me yesterday with Surf Shark, except it was even worse yesterday.

A lot of apps have suddenly been approved in the last couple of days. So we're caught in the flood, even though the release dates are good.
Sad to know that, I hope everyone don't rename their app to "A XXXX" because of this sort issue...

09-19-2009, 12:48 PM
What I do is set a release date a week or so into the future when I submit to the app store... if it is not approved by the night of the release date I set, I change the release date to the next day... and continue the process every night, until the app gets approved.

In this way, my itunesconnect "release date" will be the same as the ACTUAL release date at the time of release...

With updates, you should never set the release date to the future. So instead, every day I set the release date to the current date until an update is approved.

Last edited by arkanigon; 09-20-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: fixed for updates.
09-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
It is sorted by release date, and works the same in every category. In my sub category alone, there were 110 releases yesterday. Because my app starts with a 'T', that put me around #105, in the list for Sept. 18th. I doubt they're recording the hour something was released, so sorting alphabetically by day is the only reasonable option.

It's not usually this bad, as yesterday was very uncommon. However, do not be surprised if you are always pushed to the end of the first page on updates, since you are an 'S' game.
Thanks... yes, we cannot do anything and I will not surprise as I know the truth....

09-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanigon View Post
What I do is set a release date a week or so into the future when I submit to the app store... if it is not approved by the night of the release date I set, I change the release date to the next day... and continue the process every night, until the app gets approved.

I do the same thing with updates.

In this way, my itunesconnect "release date" will be the same as the ACTUAL release date at the time of release...
I set the release date to 14 days later, and then change it to the date of Ready for Sale email come. It will come as the same date of itunes release date, but need to wait a few hours...

arkanigon, Is it any different to your method? I just like to know the trick... is that your method will make it appear once you receive the "Ready for Sale" email? Thanks~

09-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsApp View Post
I set the release date to 14 days later, and then change it to the date of Ready for Sale email come. It will come as the same date of itunes release date, but need to wait a few hours...

arkanigon, Is it any different to your method? I just like to know the trick... is that your method will make it appear once you receive the "Ready for Sale" email? Thanks~
Do not do this for an update, it'll change the date of the current version to two weeks in the future, and it'll become unavailable in the store.

In general, I never set a date to the future. I go in every morning and change every app that's in review to the current date.